Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 02:57 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,999,854 times

Advertisements

So said the automated voice when I called to get a script refilled. CVS at Bell Road and Thompson Peak.

I had heard vague rumors about CVS closing down pharmacies several days a week, but on a Saturday?

On subsequent calls to CVS the call has been dropped twice and once I got a rapid busy. I can imagine people are ticked off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 05:47 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,723,654 times
Do you think it's because they have so many covid cases among their personnel that they don't have enough people to staff the store?

If that's all the recording said, to me it's the sign of a bad store that they don't bother to add: "For the nearest alternative location..." Since CVS has always seemed high-priced to me, maybe it's a good opportunity to try some place else.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:56 PM

810 posts, read 874,600 times
Article in WSJ yesterday - "Walgreens, CVS Shut Some Pharmacies on Weekends as Omicron Strains Staffing"

A CVS spokesman said a small fraction of its nearly 10,000 U.S. stores are closing on one or both weekend days “to help address acute staffing issues amidst both the Omicron surge and the workforce shortage affecting nearly every industry and company.”

Walgreens "customers have said they unexpectedly encountered closed drive-throughs and pharmacy counters in recent weeks. In some cases, people showed up for scheduled Covid-19 vaccine appointments only to find the pharmacy closed."

Old 01-15-2022, 09:17 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,999,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
A CVS spokesman said a small fraction of its nearly 10,000 U.S. stores are closing on one or both weekend days “to help address acute staffing issues amidst both the Omicron surge and the workforce shortage affecting nearly every industry and company.”
That sounds like code for "We don't want to pay our employees a decent wage." No skin off my nose. I'll continue to send my prescriptions to Walmart Home Delivery and in a few days, my meds are delivered. No muss, no fuss.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:56 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,714,444 times
Acctually they get paid quite well.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewd...h=6d691ebe6c67 Average for pharmacist $120,000 yearly.
And the assistants make from $25.00to 50.00 hour.

Walgreen's & CVS profits are extremely high both for drugs and retail goods.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:22 AM

11,088 posts, read 6,937,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Actually they get paid quite well.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewd...h=6d691ebe6c67 Average for pharmacist $120,000 yearly.
And the assistants make from $25.00to 50.00 hour.

Walgreen's & CVS profits are extremely high both for drugs and retail goods.
That's why they give those delicious 40% off coupons. I get two every month delivered to my text app on my phone. It does save money over even Walmart or Amazon depending upon what you buy.

My local CVS went through a crisis recently when it lost their pharmacy tech. She was ONE competent person, who was replaced by THREE doe-doe heads with poor manners and work ethic. I switched to my local independent pharmacy and couldn't be happier. (I realize some aren't able to do that.)

Old 01-16-2022, 07:15 AM

39,108 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Do you think it's because they have so many covid cases among their personnel that they don't have enough people to staff the store?

If that's all the recording said, to me it's the sign of a bad store that they don't bother to add: "For the nearest alternative location..." Since CVS has always seemed high-priced to me, maybe it's a good opportunity to try some place else.
It is almost certainly because of covid cases. We were near 25,000 diagnosed cases in Arizona yesterday mostly in the Phoenix metro, a number about 10 times what it was just a few weeks ago. And that only finds the ones that stood in a line somewhere for the test. The real number is probably five to ten times that. Everyone is dealing with absenteeism.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-16-2022 at 07:23 AM..

Old 01-16-2022, 07:59 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,643,580 times
Just do what I do, Use the Safeway pharmacy at 35th ave & Bell...they never let me down

Old 01-16-2022, 08:35 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,749,760 times

HealthWarehouse Pharmacy - All Strengths & Pack Sizes
Ad·
https://www.healthwarehouse.com/

Located in Florence, KY with pharmacists and customer service all under one roof. America's Trusted Online Pharmacy since 2007 with thousands of happy customers. US Licensed. Save 30-90% Delivered to your Home. 100% Free Shipping. FDA Approved."

We used to have Humana insurance for medications and the AARP United Healthcare medicare supplement for doctor visits/hospitals.
United Healthcare is great, no complaints here. However, after canceling Humana and getting medications from Healthcarewearhouse, we get better service at half the monthly cost.

If we need a special prescription the very same day we use our local Walgreens and they are terrific, albeit more expensive than Healtcarewarehouse. Even though they (Healthcarewarehouse) cost less, they still offer an amazingly kind customer service seldom experienced in our country lately.

They always notify us when a prescription is about to run out, they contact our doctors' office, they ask us to approve the delivery and the cost, and the stuff shows up in our mailbox 7-10 days later. We can call and talk to a human in a minute, or do the whole thing online. I always call because I enjoy talking to their reps.

By the way, they have things for our pets as well.

Last edited by mgforshort; 01-16-2022 at 08:59 PM..

Old 01-17-2022, 09:05 AM

848 posts, read 970,207 times
Couldn't find any urgent care yesterday either.

First location: This location is temporarily closed.
Second: The soonest we can see you is tomorrow at 8PM.
Third: We're only taking appointments this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area