Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 04:28 AM

9,863 posts, read 11,260,954 times

Advertisements

I thought a recap was needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I suppose both of you are going to volunteer to work with these kids?
Quote:
Yeah, and...? Schools still need volunteers. Since you are happy about what is happening, then there is no excuse for you to not volunteer in the schools. I pay taxes and volunteered in the schools.
Quote:
Schools need volunteers. Do you even have a clue as to how much volunteers do for the schools? ….If you refuse to do that, then volunteer to pay extra taxes every year and say you want them to go to the school system.
If you refuse to volunteer in the schools, then volunteer to help a family adapt to American life.
Quote:
What are you going to do to help? Are you volunteering in the schools or are you sponsoring an Afghan family?
Quote:

Are you going to volunteer in the schools? They will need all the help they can get. Or are you going to volunteer to sponsor an Afghan family?
Quote:
So...you're planning to volunteer? Kudos to you! The schools will appreciate you and all the help you will give them.
Quote:
In my younger days when I volunteered in the schools, ....
Quote:
... how are you helping? Are you volunteering in the schools where their children are attending?
Quote:
..What, exactly, do you fear? Volunteering in the schools? Or is it sponsoring an Afghan family? Are you afraid of donating to charities? If you truly cared about the refugees and didn't fear them, you would be helping in some way.

...In fact, the teachers will need volunteer help, as I mentioned previously.

BTW, if you knew anything about me and my background, you would feel foolish for making bigoted assumptions about me.
Quote:
BTW, you don't have to be a teacher to volunteer in a school.
Quote:
So...do you volunteer in the schools to help "spoiled American children"? What makes you think that every child in the schools is a "spoiled American [child]"? Volunteering in the schools will teach you that schools tend to have a diverse group of children.

I think we all agree, if there is a profile of a person that we would not want to "volunteer in the schools", it is this guy ^^^^.

My wife often "volunteered in the schools". As if, that makes her a better person than someone who gives back in other ways. IMHO, Something is seriously off with a certain someone.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:52 AM

6,316 posts, read 6,863,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

I think we all agree, if there is a profile of a person that we would not want to "volunteer in the schools", it is this guy ^^^^.

My wife often "volunteered in the schools". As if, that makes her a better person than someone who gives back in other ways. IMHO, Something is seriously off with a certain someone.

I'm sorry, I don't think I follow. Do we need to... volunteer in schools?

Old 01-24-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I'm sorry, I don't think I follow. Do we need to... volunteer in schools?
Ah.... YEA!!!!!!! And you know why?? Because the out-of-state concerned contributor did. And we now know that volunteering in schools is the litmus test of being a good contributing person. Enough so, that you earn a free pass to call out immigrants for "stealing our jobs" and "worshiping in mosques". "Them-their migrants" better be good Merican's.

When my wife was a "volunteer in school", she made apple pie for all of the illegals. And they converted to law-abiding Christians. Never underestimate the power of volunteering and apple pie!

Old 01-24-2022, 09:13 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,299,978 times
As a "right-winger" I have to say I'm a bit shocked by the OP's post. The irony of it all is frustrating as well. These Afghan refugees are the same families that were helping our soldiers during the war with things like translation and providing information that could easily get them killed. A lot of them risked their lives to help out the Americans. Then they come here and you are pissed that the kids are attending a public school? Shame on you.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:11 AM

768 posts, read 1,764,435 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? This scenario gets played out all over the country. It's nothing new. Those of us who have seen it happen in their communities know full well what the consequences will be.

Are you going to volunteer in the schools? They will need all the help they can get. Or are you going to volunteer to sponsor an Afghan family? Or are you going to donate money to groups who help these families assimilate?
It matters because if you lived and paid taxes in Scottsdale then you would know Scottsdale supports education. Ten cents of every dollar in property taxes paid by Scottsdale property owners goes to the city, the remaining 90 cents goes to public schools. I volunteer by living and paying taxes in Scottsdale for the past 16 years.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:53 PM

22,537 posts, read 12,108,365 times
Quote:

Your personal attack is duly noted.

If you don't believe I volunteered in the schools, well...I can't help you as I told the truth.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:

If you don't believe I volunteered in the schools, well...I can't help you as I told the truth.
I never said that you didn't volunteer in your kid's school. I'm saying, so what, you volunteered. And using my wife as an example (who often volunteered on a schedule), what does that have ANYTHING do with these Afgan kids? Never mind the Afgan kids' parents stuck their necks out to help their country and the American troops. And they have a massive amount of courage for doing so.

Meanwhile, you come into a PHX thread and lecture people as if they have no right to have an opinion. And YOU do because well, you helped at your local school. If I got something wrong, I'm all ears. So why did you have the need to post 30 times about volunteering in some other district clear across the country?

Old 01-24-2022, 02:15 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,705,168 times
Quote:
I never said that you didn't volunteer in your kid's school. I'm saying, so what, you volunteered. And using my wife as an example (who often volunteered on a schedule), what does that have ANYTHING do with these Afgan kids? Never mind the Afgan kids' parents stuck their necks out to help their country and the American troops. And they have a massive amount of courage for doing so.

Meanwhile, you come into a PHX thread and lecture people as if they have no right to have an opinion. And YOU do because well, you helped at your local school. If I got something wrong, I'm all ears. So why did you have the need to post 30 times about volunteering in some other district clear across the country?
Because that's all he's got. He thought he'd rile us up to his level of fury over 'them fornurs invadin our schools'. It backfired because no one bought into the fear-mongering nonsense. Children want to go to school?! The horror!!

Old 01-24-2022, 02:17 PM

11,095 posts, read 7,013,487 times
https://arizonadailyindependent.com/...nt-enrollment/

Well it seems that many of the families will be in the 85254 area near Cocopah and Cherokee Schools. That's my old stomping ground. As mentioned before, my nanny girls attended Cherokee. Walt Chantler who is still the principal at Cherokee, is a GREAT guy. I have spoken with him several times and he is a good leader. He will do very well with whatever he is given to work with, which is hopefully enough money and enough community and parent support. The students at Cherokee have an enriched environment including sports, a community garden in the inner courtyard, art, theater and music. I am excited for the Afghan children!

One of my nanny girls was bullied (she's East Indian) at Cherokee, likely because she was quiet and awkward, but also very pretty. The boys (one in particular) likely just had a crush on her. I spoke with Walt about it as well as the teacher, and something was done right away.

My concern for the Afghani children would be that they not be bullied, but rather accepted and assimilated into the school environment. I am certain that the teachers at Cherokee and Cocopah (and other schools?) will do everything they can to make this a good experience for everyone.

And think of that Afghani food at the school events! YUM. If I still lived near Cherokee, I WOULD be volunteering to help these families.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:46 PM

51,170 posts, read 24,639,645 times
Quote:

As a retired principal, we had quite a few volunteers. Some were worth their weight in gold. Others were more trouble than they were worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area