Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 07:47 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Why weren't a lot of these bills enacted when Ducy was Governor and has a Republican legislature?
Because one of the games in politics is to put up bills, knowing they will be vetoed, so at election time they can point the finger at the pol who vetoed the bills and claim that pol is dreadful and you should vote for me instead. Seen it for years.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2023, 08:30 PM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Because one of the games in politics is to put up bills, knowing they will be vetoed, so at election time they can point the finger at the pol who vetoed the bills and claim that pol is dreadful and you should vote for me instead. Seen it for years.
You are probably right but will the city of Phoenix fight the recent court ruling? That is what the downtown business community wants to know.

...In emails on Tuesday, a city spokesperson said the city wouldn't be doing interviews about the ruling but did provide a statement. In part, the statement details that the city is "reviewing the specific details of the judge’s ruling as we continue our mission to create safe spaces for people experiencing homelessness."

..."They really have two options which is to appeal or to work with us toward a settlement," Wurman explained. "And we hope they do the right thing."

...Judge Blaney said the city must be prepared to demonstrate its compliance with his order in a trial scheduled for July 10.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...e-0418d01eee1a

Last edited by john3232; 04-02-2023 at 08:53 PM..

Old 04-03-2023, 09:14 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Exactly. It's a shell game.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:57 AM

6,759 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Per the link that I sited earlier, there are 86,000 total homeless people. And 12% that are living on the streets or 10,000 people in the entire USA.
The 86,000 (or is it 83,000) figure has to be the number of homeless who are unsheltered. Estimates I've seen from other sources for total homeless in the country are north of half a million. Here's the quote again...

Quote:
In other words, an estimated 12 percent of the United States' homeless population, or close to 83,000 people, is unsheltered and chronically homeless.

Last edited by hikernut; 04-03-2023 at 10:29 AM..

Old 04-03-2023, 12:35 PM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
The 86,000 (or is it 83,000) figure has to be the number of homeless who are unsheltered. Estimates I've seen from other sources for total homeless in the country are north of half a million. Here's the quote again...
Makes sense ^^. So, instead of $11 per person per year, I guess we need to multiply by 6 or 7. So charge everyone $70-$80 a year. Easy. Next topic.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Makes sense ^^. So, instead of $11 per person per year, I guess we need to multiply by 6 or 7. So charge everyone $70-$80 a year. Easy. Next topic.
Oh it's not so simple. I'm not an expert on the topic and won't pretend I am. My only direct experience was volunteering at a shelter when I was in college, decades ago. Of course the people using the shelter were the ones willing to stay sober so they could get a meal, a shower, and a warm place to sleep (this was in Wisconsin).

In this country we don't round up people and put them in institutions (or whatever) without consent. I doubt very many of the people living on the street would give such consent. So what do you propose doing with/to these people? It's a sad situation all around. Letting them live in public areas is not the answer though, IMO.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Oh it's not so simple.
It is simple! It is just another easy problem to solve that won't happen because of politics. In the meantime, I'm going to stay away from downtown. When they get their crap together, I'll check it out. Maybe in a decade, I'll see if they cleaned things up.

Old 04-04-2023, 07:44 AM

219 posts, read 176,875 times
Quote:
It is simple! It is just another easy problem to solve that won't happen because of politics. In the meantime, I'm going to stay away from downtown. When they get their crap together, I'll check it out. Maybe in a decade, I'll see if they cleaned things up.
I can appreciate your optimism, but things tend to only get worse. Just look at the escalation of the homeless crisis over the years in places like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Portland, and Seattle. I think it's safe to say we are probably on the same path. Not to mention our state's political ideology taking a left turn will only exacerbate the problem. Stay tuned.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
It is simple! It is just another easy problem to solve that won't happen because of politics.
You seem to be discounting human behavior. For the moment, let's say you could get the vast majority off the street with your $300k (per homeless person, per year) solution. As soon as word gets out that all of one's needs will be provided by merely sleeping on the street for a while, those 83,000 will be replaced by many more, probably multiples of the original number. Then your $80 tax per citizen each year becomes hundreds of dollars... so thousands of dollars per year for a family of five.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
You seem to be discounting human behavior. For the moment, let's say you could get the vast majority off the street with your $300k (per homeless person, per year) solution. As soon as word gets out that all of one's needs will be provided by merely sleeping on the street for a while, those 83,000 will be replaced by many more, probably multiples of the original number. Then your $80 tax per citizen each year becomes hundreds of dollars... so thousands of dollars per year for a family of five.
I vote to get people off the streets.... Or else. Analogy: In theory, some people want to live in prison too for three square meals. I'm not talking about outliers, I'm talking about the masses. If you think people are going to live in the streets for mandatory mental health and drug treatment by force (because they won't leave the street because it is illegal), we disagree. I'm not talking about building wonderful digs.

I think we have two different conversations going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area