Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 07:17 PM

409 posts, read 398,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Are you seriously comparing places like Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, and Austin to Phoenix? Sure, Phoenix is Blue, but those places are leftist strongholds. When people think of uber progressive, left-wing cities, Phoenix does not enter the conversation. Not even comparable.
Yeah city council is tied 4/4 dem - republican (well one independent who causes with GOP) and the mayor has the tie vote. having a 50/50 split in the city council alone makes the city a lot less liberal than most other large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 07:43 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
Yeah city council is tied 4/4 dem - republican (well one independent who causes with GOP) and the mayor has the tie vote. having a 50/50 split in the city council alone makes the city a lot less liberal than most other large cities.
Not correct. Phoenix city council has 4 dems, 3 reps, and one independent that leans liberal.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:51 PM

297 posts, read 244,379 times
Default arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Are you seriously comparing places like Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, and Austin to Phoenix? Sure, Phoenix is Blue, but those places are leftist strongholds. When people think of uber progressive, left-wing cities, Phoenix does not enter the conversation. Not even comparable.

AZ is a bit of a police state that regularily harasses the homeless. That could be one reason.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:58 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Phoenix has a ton of homeless. They’re not right smack dab downtown but you go to 19th Ave and Indian School and it rivals the encampments in other large cities. It sort of fits in with the way Phoenix is built, multi nodal and sprawled out instead of centralized

Old 01-24-2022, 07:59 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
If I was homeless, I'd definitely find my broke ass a way to get to San Diego or LA, where the weather is best in the world and you can have a $10M view for $0.00 thanks to the lax governor (beaches are state land by and large). I think Californians were mesmerized by Newsoms movie star looks and got a guy that is 10/10 on the liberal scale when what they really wanted was an 8.5. The government isn't the entire reason though, there's homeless all over the more conservative San Diego County, downtown and East Village areas especially, which isn't state land. I know theres a plan for 35,000 housing units for homeless but I wonder if that will ultimately encourage more. The third reason behind climate and the government is the high cost of living in CA.
I lived in Orange County from 2000-2017. There are many thousands of homeless in the middle and northern sections of OC, especially in Huntington Beach, Anaheim and Santa Ana. Downtown Santa Ana in the courthouse area is one of the worst homeless zones I have seen in the USA - not as bad as downtown Los Angeles, but with all of the same ingredients. Orange County has the same mild weather as San Diego and LA, with an abundance of social services that attract more homeless than fix the problem.

I can't imagine how homeless in Phoenix (and here in Tucson) can tolerate the brutal summer season. A bus ticket to the coast would seem like a pretty good idea for year-round living in a tent instead of dealing with the more extreme temps of central and southern AZ.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:00 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Go sleep outside some night when it’s 102 F at 9pm. Then you might appreciate this is not a homeless paradise.

Old 01-24-2022, 08:12 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I lived in Orange County from 2000-2017. There are many thousands of homeless in the middle and northern sections of OC, especially in Huntington Beach, Anaheim and Santa Ana. Downtown Santa Ana in the courthouse area is one of the worst homeless zones I have seen in the USA - not as bad as downtown Los Angeles, but with all of the same ingredients. Orange County has the same mild weather as San Diego and LA, with an abundance of social services that attract more homeless than fix the problem.

I can't imagine how homeless in Phoenix (and here in Tucson) can tolerate the brutal summer season. A bus ticket to the coast would seem like a pretty good idea for year-round living in a tent instead of dealing with the more extreme temps of central and southern AZ.
Yeah, I'm from orange county, but the Southern parts not near Santa Ana. I was hearing about it starting to creep into Aliso Viejo though. Gotta take the good with the bad if you want the ideal climate.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:25 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
The Phoenix area has more of a problem with panhandlers than true homeless. You can find them carrying "down on their luck" signs at numerous intersections & freeway off ramps. They can be highly annoying in places like downtown Tempe. Much of the time, they're just wanting extra cash for their drug or booze habits, so it's best to just ignore them.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:26 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The bigger encampments are in places a tourist would likely not pass through. Our extreme summer temperatures probably also limits the area as a "destination".
Yes, it's not pleasant having to be outside when it's in the 120s.

But there's another possible factor here that I didn't see as much in Washington, DC where I lived. I think the homeless are more spread out here.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:22 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Depending on what site/data we look at......

Phoenix ranks anywhere from No. 3 in the country to No. 10.

The annual homeless count has been delayed this year until the end of February due to the omicron variant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area