Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 08:44 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Cool story. Now Post some pics of giant homeless tent cities in Duluth like you find all over LA and I’ll happily concede the point. Homelessness is a problem that exists everywhere and, as I have posted previously, is getting worse due to growing income inequality and housing being turned into a speculative investment vehicle for the rich.
Here are dozen pictures of (yes giant) rows of homeless camps in MPLS. https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...LRDPm1Hq7z1dXM

And here are some Duluth, MN pictures of the homeless in tents. In Duluth, it's a fraction of the population so the fraction of the homeless. BUT, it's damn cold in MPLS. Arguably, Duluth is warmer because of the lake effect. So there goes your argument. https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...l9yfrJHf3xFHvM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 09:08 AM

717 posts, read 1,057,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Here are dozen pictures of (yes giant) rows of homeless camps in MPLS. https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...LRDPm1Hq7z1dXM

And here are some Duluth, MN pictures of the homeless in tents. In Duluth, it's a fraction of the population so the fraction of the homeless. BUT, it's damn cold in MPLS. Arguably, Duluth is warmer because of the lake effect. So there goes your argument. https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...l9yfrJHf3xFHvM
Fair enough. I do think it’s hilarious though that a guy who couldn’t hack the winters in minnesota is here posting about how homeless people in tents “get used to it.”

Old 01-26-2022, 09:51 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,842 times
Quote:
What's that saying, don't feed the pigeons!? I often see panhandlers using their kids as props. A typical spot is at Costco on Haden. I saw a father and his two kids the other day with their religious sign begging for money. He waved his sign at the stop sign and I smiled and turned. There is a 0.00% I would reward someone for begging let alone using their kids as a prop. Plus, he needs to know his audience as I'm agnostic (his sign backfired).

If you can stand outside asking for money for 6 hours straight, then you can get a job.... Or starve. I'm over it. Actually, I take that back. I gave money to a man asking for money who had both legs cut off. He qualifies. Anyways, it must be more productive for someone to beg that go to work. In 2022, businesses would put up with just about anything to get employees. No skills, no problem because you will be hired somewhere. I think begging shows too little amount of mental illness to warrant parting with my $$. If someone is really homeless and has a mental illness, I have no problem helping. I've volunteered and donated to St Vincent de Paul's charities. If you do, you can see a stark difference between corner beggars and someone actually needing help at a homeless shelter.
Not only do they use kids to tug at some people's heart, but dogs as well.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:26 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,295,433 times
There are a lot of homeless in the Phoenix area, they are spread out over the entire metro area. You don't see huge encampments because they are so spread out. If you go look behind ANY convenience store, park with trees ad bushes, in an industrial office park, arroyos near 24 hour gas stations, in any suburb of Phoenix, you will find a homeless person.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:46 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
There are a lot of homeless in the Phoenix area, they are spread out over the entire metro area. You don't see huge encampments because they are so spread out. If you go look behind ANY convenience store, park with trees ad bushes, in an industrial office park, arroyos near 24 hour gas stations, in any suburb of Phoenix, you will find a homeless person.
Indian School from 15th Ave to 43rd Ave is about the highest concentration I’ve seen here and it’s a lot. Anyone who acts like we don’t have a problem isn’t looking.

Old 01-26-2022, 01:32 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Fair enough. I do think it’s hilarious though that a guy who couldn’t hack the winters in minnesota is here posting about how homeless people in tents “get used to it.
I "hacked the winters" for decades. And I could hack it for several more if I had to. Instead, I've been a snowbird since I was 45 years old. Maybe it's just me. But if you find that hilarious, you have an odd sense of humor.

Actually, what I said was:
Quote:
.....Evidentially, the homeless don't mind the winters.
.....Obviously, "homeless" doesn't have to mean sleeping outside when it is -20 degrees (Mpls) or 110 degrees (PHX).
As you see, I never said "getting used to it".

Old 01-26-2022, 09:56 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
What's that saying, don't feed the pigeons!? I often see panhandlers using their kids as props. A typical spot is at Costco on Haden. I saw a father and his two kids the other day with their religious sign begging for money. He waved his sign at the stop sign and I smiled and turned. There is a 0.00% I would reward someone for begging let alone using their kids as a prop. Plus, he needs to know his audience as I'm agnostic (his sign backfired).
Exactly! My first thought is: why is this person having kids when he can't even afford to support them? If I witnessed what you did, I'd be absolutely convinced that the "father" is a complete fraud. Although I'm not a fan of CPS, they should have the kids removed for being exploited like that, especially if they are truly homeless (which I doubt). I also couldn't care less about somebody's religion (being an agnostic myself). The sad thing is people actually fall for these scams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I'd be tempted to take the dog away and let the scam artist beg for money on his own. It's one thing to panhandle, but it's a whole different matter when they involve children & animals in their racket.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:06 PM

369 posts, read 268,941 times
Default It's getting like California.

Homeless camps are all over the place in San Diego and Los Angeles areas. It's horrible over there but getting worse here.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:40 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I thought pan-handling with kids was illegal?

Old 01-28-2022, 11:18 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,710 times
Have lived in Seattle and know how they handle their homeless population - which is they do not handle it but just move their encampments. They actually foster a sort of environment that is aimed at making the homeless feel warm and cozy such as in the case is having injection sites that will give you need needles. I get the idea but Phoenix is not doing that. Should Phoenix do more if they don’t want a public health crisis? Yeah, probably or we will be the next Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area