Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2022, 06:25 PM

13,570 posts, read 7,536,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I agree in principle, but conservation needs to be limited to the greatest water users, which in Arizona's case is agriculture. So far, that's where the strictest CAP cutbacks are being applied. We don't need to copy California and limit residential use, and/or force people to rip out their lawns & trees.

I was reading where an international water treaty update with Mexico needs to happen in order for Arizona to begin desalinization from the Gulf of California. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a huge deal, except for the cost. I'd say make the Saudis pay for it since they seem to have no issue with using our water for their agricultural empire. Private enterprise should be able to construct & manage desalinization, but somebody will have to pay ... and if that means increasing the cost of using water, I'd be for it, but only as a last resort.

I know what you mean, and a lot of that can be attributed to our overly simplistic promotion of the climate to encourage people to move here. We've heard the same nonsense regurgitated for decades: "Sun = good. Rain = bad. The summers aren't a problem because it's a DRY HEAT." Add to that the notion that we have plenty of water, regardless of the serious decline of Lake Mead & Lake Powell. When it's brought up, the Pollyanna types will either sugar coat the issue, or turn a blind eye.

Up until 2010 they were still allowing lake communities, and now were getting a new water park in Glendale where are they going to get the water from. Growing crops in the desert never understood that mentality now these farms in Arizona are sucking ground water dry. Only matter of time before wells in rural Arizona go dry and they will have to rely on hauled water.

I get it everyone want's their green lawns I had 3000 SQ feet of lawn up until 2019 cost me $300 a month in the summer to keep it green. Rabbits killed big spots I finely got sick of it and put in rock. Urban sprawl is just going to make it worse with all the air conditioners, concrete, asphalt. How many of those homes will want pools??

Old 06-18-2022, 07:04 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,343,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Up until 2010 they were still allowing lake communities, and now were getting a new water park in Glendale where are they going to get the water from. Growing crops in the desert never understood that mentality now these farms in Arizona are sucking ground water dry. Only matter of time before wells in rural Arizona go dry and they will have to rely on hauled water.
Actually, the majority of new developments (including water parks) consume far less water than agriculture does. Conservation will occur faster if we say "adios" to the remaining farms on the fringes, and replace them with new development. Sounds crazy, but when you consider that agriculture consumes well over 70% of the available water, cutting back on supply to farmers makes perfect sense. The amount of water grass & shade trees demand is only a drop in the bucket (pun intended).

Quote:
I get it everyone want's their green lawns I had 3000 SQ feet of lawn up until 2019 cost me $300 a month in the summer to keep it green. Rabbits killed big spots I finely got sick of it and put in rock. Urban sprawl is just going to make it worse with all the air conditioners, concrete, asphalt. How many of those homes will want pools??
Rock yards save on a person's water bill, but they're not completely maintenance free. Also, they generate heat just like concrete & asphalt. Grass & trees are more expensive with all the watering & maintenance, but they add a cooling effect & release oxygen. The only way I'll give up my grass & trees is if everybody else gets rid of their pools.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:42 PM

I still have grass in the backyard maintaining grass in the front so rabbits could kill it wasn't much fun. They were getting under my RV gate started to damage the back yard I had to fix the gate lower it down to 1" above the ground. After I got rid of the grass I notice far less rabbits in the area. Less coyotes also we have a few small dogs I was concerned with.

I agree that farming in the desert is the dumbest idea ever. They have powerful lobbyist and will continue to get lot of the water. The heat caused my gravel isn't anymore then open desert would cause. I have desert plants and trees shading the gravel.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:48 PM

14,075 posts, read 8,226,458 times
Landscaping: AZ has many colorful plants which can perk up a dreary rock landscape. Once they've been established these plants need little water. With Bermuda grass I need to make sure it's watered regularly... but lightly. Many of my past problems with growing plants/grass were the result of overwatering.

Pool: I have a 15k pool which I drain every two years. I backwash every two weeks during the summer but it's not a lot of water. Probably less than what is used to fill up an average size bathtub.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:13 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,199,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Landscaping: AZ has many colorful plants which can perk up a dreary rock landscape. Once they've been established these plants need little water. With Bermuda grass I need to make sure it's watered regularly... but lightly. Many of my past problems with growing plants/grass were the result of overwatering.

Pool: I have a 15k pool which I drain every two years. I backwash every two weeks during the summer but it's not a lot of water. Probably less than what is used to fill up an average size bathtub.
In Vegas they got rid of all natural lawns I heard - only desert landscaping and astro-turf. But most importantly: keep us updated on some future resales in Mesa so we have a good gauge on the PHX RE market. It gets interesting!

Old 06-18-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
In Vegas they got rid of all natural lawns I heard - only desert landscaping and astro-turf. But most importantly: keep us updated on some future resales in Mesa so we have a good gauge on the PHX RE market. It gets interesting!
Imo, all the metro markets are slightly different. With Mesa I look at East Mesa or 85205. At present there are 78 listing and 138 homes under contract. Median sale price 438k. Homes sell in 20 days.

On the other hand 8534 (Gilbert) I'm seeing 78 listings and 58 homes under contract. Median sale price: 600k. Homes sell 18 days.

The inventory is skyrocketing and I suspect this is largely investor driven.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:49 AM

Correction: 85234 (Gilbert)

Old 06-19-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:

You backwash that much I have a sand filter only backwash when the pressure goes up 3 to 5 PSI. In the spring when it's windy my neighbors Jacaranda trees dump in my pool I have to backwash once a month. About now his tress are done rest of the summer backwash about every 3 months unless we get a monsoon thunderstorm.

My backyard grass I water 2 times a week in the winter with winter grass and 3 times a week in the hot summer I installed it myself with 10 inches of mulch to hold the water. Landscapers all wanted to just roll out the sod right on AZ desert dirt it doesn't soak in just evaporates on the surface. I finely had to just do it myself even when I showed them the Sod manufacture recommends 6-10" of tilled mulch. They they don't care because it's not their water bill.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
You backwash that much I have a sand filter only backwash when the pressure goes up 3 to 5 PSI. In the spring when it's windy my neighbors Jacaranda trees dump in my pool I have to backwash once a month. About now his tress are done rest of the summer backwash about every 3 months unless we get a monsoon thunderstorm.

My backyard grass I water 2 times a week in the winter with winter grass and 3 times a week in the hot summer I installed it myself with 10 inches of mulch to hold the water. Landscapers all wanted to just roll out the sod right on AZ desert dirt it doesn't soak in just evaporates on the surface. I finely had to just do it myself even when I showed them the Sod manufacture recommends 6-10" of tilled mulch. They they don't care because it's not their water bill.

I have a sand filter as well and probably don't need to backwash so much. I clean my pool regularly but debris gets in esp. when its' windy. Fortunately there are no trees next to the wall I share with my neighbors and the lemon tree in my yard is away from the pool.

When a monsoon thunderstorm hits... I run out in the rain and clean the pool as best/fast as I can.

If I don't the pool will be a complete mess the following morning.

Last edited by john3232; 06-19-2022 at 09:08 PM..

Old 06-20-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I have a sand filter as well and probably don't need to backwash so much. I clean my pool regularly but debris gets in esp. when its' windy. Fortunately there are no trees next to the wall I share with my neighbors and the lemon tree in my yard is away from the pool.

When a monsoon thunderstorm hits... I run out in the rain and clean the pool as best/fast as I can.

If I don't the pool will be a complete mess the following morning.
I didn't know any better when I bought this home I had never had a pool before was our 2nd home. The neighbor at that time had eucalyptus which horribly stained the plaster in the pool. Eventually I had to get the pool completely remodeled. Several discussions with my neighbor he finely agreed to have the tree removed.

Then he goes and plants Jacaranda trees at least it doesn't stain the pool. If I had a top 10 list of homes to avoid when buying 1st one on the list is if there is a pool don't buy if neighbor has trees right behind you.

2nd thing would be don't buy a home on the street used by most to exit the subdivision. I made both of those mistakes not only does my pool get filled with his tree mess I also get cars driving by every 30 seconds.

Really wanted to move last year get away from both of those problems. I hope the market gets back to normal somewhat where things are not so imbalanced between sellers and buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area