Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2022, 06:15 AM

9,854 posts, read 11,248,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Apparently the construction of new homes went into overdrive and now there's a glut. Unless you work in Buckeye I don't see the attraction.

On the other hand Buckeye is one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. with a pop. of over 50k. We'll see if that continues.
https://www.buckeyeaz.gov/Home/Compo...ng%20101%2C000.
Plus, Buckeye's water relies almost exclusively on groundwater. That's a game that I don't want to play.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:27 AM

566 posts, read 577,592 times
We just went under contract on the sale of our home here. It took us 16 days with one price drop. The last three homes that sold in our neighborhood (all closing before the beginning of June were under contract in a few days for over asking) It's been very eye opening to say the least. We are only doing it because we had it in mind to move back closer to family in the next few years and the toppling real estate bubble made us realize if we waited, we might not be able to. We are going to be buying in an area with lower housing costs, but saying goodbye to our amazing interest rate. Worth it to us. We'll see if this deal actually ends in the sale of our home. I'll keep everyone posted if you all are interested.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:01 AM

From the Cromford report:
"The (RE) collapse between April and June is unprecedented - faster and more violent than we have ever witnessed… explosive rise in supply.”

“The contract ratio is telling us that we are already in a balanced market.”

And:

“we have had a very chilly wind blowing through the market.”

“There were just 1,558 accepted contracts during last week, down from 1,898 the week before and 2,274 during the same week in 2021… It is even lower than during the first covid-19 wave in April 2020.”

“We have a full-on buyer's strike developing.”

“more homes are being newly listed for sale than at any time since 2011. The active listing count (without a contract) rose 12% last week…. We are witnessing a full-on seller's stampede.”

Basically, peak pricing occurred in June, not August because the market has changed FAST: From FOMO to a buyers strike. And the PHX housing market is officially at equilibrium. According to the Cromford Report, the median home sale DROPPED 2% in June.

Per Mike Orn: “The stampede for the exit (sellers) is now large enough that it is certain to do significant damage to home values.”

When a buyer's strike and a seller's stampede occur at the same time, the market stalls in mid-flight.

Read https://arizonarealestatenotebook.su...m_medium=email for more graphs. My popcorn is popped. It's going to be interesting.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:53 AM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
"The (RE) collapse between April and June is unprecedented - faster and more violent than we have ever witnessed… explosive rise in supply.”

And:

“There were just 1,558 accepted contracts during last week, down from 1,898 the week before and 2,274 during the same week in 2021… It is even lower than during the first covid-19 wave in April 2020.”

“more homes are being newly listed for sale than at any time since 2011. The active listing count (without a contract) rose 12% last week…. We are witnessing a full-on seller's stampede.”

Basically, peak pricing occurred in June, not August because the market has changed FAST: From FOMO to a buyers strike. And the PHX housing market is officially at equilibrium. According to the Cromford Report, the median home sale DROPPED 2% in June.

Per Mike Orn: “The stampede for the exit (sellers) is now large enough that it is certain to do significant damage to home values.”

When a buyer's strike and a seller's stampede occur at the same time, the market stalls in mid-flight.

Read https://arizonarealestatenotebook.su...m_medium=email for more graphs. My popcorn is popped. It's going to be interesting.
...for all those who said the sellers' market and appreciation were not going to end. Sellers, you waited too long. Buyers, it is still too soon.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:00 AM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
Lessons from the (last) fall: If you have a HELOC and you are going to need the money for that pool you contracted two years ago that is still not built, for a vacation, for whatever AND you do not have a ton of equity in your home - take out the money now. As soon as prices start falling lenders can and will freeze the HELOC and you will be unable to get your funds.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:19 AM

14,015 posts, read 8,162,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Lessons from the (last) fall: If you have a HELOC and you are going to need the money for that pool you contracted two years ago that is still not built, for a vacation, for whatever AND you do not have a ton of equity in your home - take out the money now. As soon as prices start falling lenders can and will freeze the HELOC and you will be unable to get your funds.

Better not to not build the pool and cut back on the family vacation. I don't know how some people do it. I have a subcompact cars and it costs $40 to fill which I do twice every ten days or so. (Granted I do a lot of driving.)

Old 07-04-2022, 08:21 AM

14,015 posts, read 8,162,586 times
Quote:

And:

Indeed it has!

Old 07-04-2022, 08:55 AM

2,809 posts, read 3,193,448 times
Quote:

And:

The pandemic seems to create a whole mini business cycle by itself. What usually takes ~19 years on average we accomplish in 3. This was similar with the Spanish Flu ~1918-21. Mad speculation and inflation turning into a mini-depression. From shortages everywhere to gluts everywhere. We are in a time loop! So my expectation would be for the Phoenix RE market to go back to pre-pandemic prices.

Old 07-04-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
The pandemic seems to create a whole mini business cycle by itself. What usually takes ~19 years on average we accomplish in 3. This was similar with the Spanish Flu ~1918-21. Mad speculation and inflation turning into a mini-depression. From shortages everywhere to gluts everywhere. We are in a time loop! So my expectation would be for the Phoenix RE market to go back to pre-pandemic prices.
I don't think so.
1. The FED's can lower interest rates as fast as they jacked them up.
2. Fannie and Freddie have major skin in the game. This isn't a free market economy at work.
3. We have watched some major inflation going on. The inflation Genie is out of the bottle. And that includes wage inflation.
4. I predict most borrowers are not going to walk from their ultra-low interest mortgages.

The wild card is the Ukraine war. So long as oil is spendy, inflation is semi-unstoppable. So there are forces pushing prices down as well as up. Sure, the pendulum could swing in the other direction and over-correct.

Considering just in 2022 alone, we were having 2-3% price jumps PER month, it was blatantly obvious a bubble was developing. That ongoing war and the cost of energy are going to define how bad it gets. And if it stops, that will help inflation a whole lot more than a punishing interest rate. So whatever eventually happens is way too hard to predict.

I always say "perception becomes reality". Therefore, so long as people think PHX RE prices are going to drop, buyers will go on strike. All I know is we are getting an economic lesson that will make the history books again. It's going to get interesting. If I sold my MN home last year and it sat in the bank, I would have gotten an 8% haircut (called inflation).

Old 07-04-2022, 02:05 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,193,448 times
Quote:
I don't think so.
1. The FED's can lower interest rates as fast as they jacked them up.
2. Fannie and Freddie have major skin in the game. This isn't a free market economy at work.
3. We have watched some major inflation going on. The inflation Genie is out of the bottle. And that includes wage inflation.
4. I predict most borrowers are not going to walk from their ultra-low interest mortgages.

The wild card is the Ukraine war. So long as oil is spendy, inflation is semi-unstoppable. So there are forces pushing prices down as well as up. Sure, the pendulum could swing in the other direction and over-correct.

Considering just in 2022 alone, we were having 2-3% price jumps PER month, it was blatantly obvious a bubble was developing. That ongoing war and the cost of energy are going to define how bad it gets. And if it stops, that will help inflation a whole lot more than a punishing interest rate. So whatever eventually happens is way too hard to predict.

I always say "perception becomes reality". Therefore, so long as people think PHX RE prices are going to drop, buyers will go on strike. All I know is we are getting an economic lesson that will make the history books again. It's going to get interesting. If I sold my MN home last year and it sat in the bank, I would have gotten an 8% haircut (called inflation).
I'm sorry. I always forget to mention: in REAL TERMS. I expected prices to go back to 02/20 plus inflation. So let's say we had 20% inflation since then (I'm not sure about the exact #s) and you add that to the 03/20 prices. I think that is realistic. But it's also not yet the top in this RE cycle IMO. The consumer spending cycle should top around 2024. So this is my roadmap: we get a sharp correction into mid 2023. After that we push for one more higher high into 2024-25, maybe even 2026. Then we get another, longer correction as the normal business cycle bottoms out. That would also be a really great buying time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area