Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 10:16 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
SO? Some people think recession is the end of the world - most are short lived and do exactly what is intended - cool things down for a short while and allows pricing to stabilize - it is VERY rare that recessions are deep economic catastrophes.

AND, housing prices have continued to increase (to keep this on topic) during recessions - especially given the still very real of underlying home shortages.

I am not saying there will be no softening in the market. I have posted in this thread already that I believe there WILL be stabilization - but I do NOT believe there will be any huge crash. ESPECIALLY if affordability stabilizes due to inflation coming back down.

This is not 2008 redux - it just isnt.
Here's something to keep in mind: the Phoenix market (and Arizona as a whole) tends to be more heavily affected by recessions because of our over dependency on real estate. The 2008 downturn really kicked us in the gut. Projects that were in the works prior to 2008 were delayed, or all together scrapped. This affected not only construction in the private sector, but the Legislature was forced to slash the state budget also. While that recession was short lived in other metros, our economy slumped a while longer, and so did our overall growth rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
When people ask me when they think things will get better....I laugh and say probably in the middle of Trumps 2nd term.
Wishful thinking. The current administration is horrible, but I doubt if the majority of Americans are going to vote for another Trump term. Get somebody with fresh ideas who appeals to the majority ... not just their party bases. But I guess that's wishful thinking on my part.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:50 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
As soon as we close on this condo we are listing another unit that we have in Sun City.....then we will wait and see what happens......I don't expect to buy again for at least 2 years, maybe more.
Why wait? The RE market is changing FAST!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
It's as if a bell went off and there has been a stampede to sell.
Yep! John, did you list any of your properties? If not, do you wish you would have?

Old 07-06-2022, 07:17 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Housing is providing a glimpse of what deflation looks like and why it is so disastrous for an economy. The Great Depression was the classic example. In a deflationary economy consumers postpone purchases because they expect the price to be lower at a later point in time. Demand reduction does eventually drive the price lower confirming their expectation, and so they continue to defer. It is a self perpetuating spiral.

Everyone is focused on inflation right now. But deflation is actually in the works with the Fed's overreacting on rates and supply side issues (the real cause of inflation not wage price pressure) abating.

Anyway, a deflationary spiral in housing might be hard to stop especially in places like Phoenix that depend on newcomers.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:02 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
[quote=Valley Native;63749349]Here's something to keep in mind: the Phoenix market (and Arizona as a whole) tends to be more heavily affected by recessions because of our over dependency on real estate. The 2008 downturn really kicked us in the gut. Projects that were in the works prior to 2008 were delayed, or all together scrapped. This affected not only construction in the private sector, but the Legislature was forced to slash the state budget also. While that recession was short lived in other metros, our economy slumped a while longer, and so did our overall growth rate.

This is NOT 2008 I say again. That was fueled by MASSIVE overbuilding with sub standard quality mortgages and gambling in the larger market.

Today - there is a housing SHORTAGE. Builders are already slowing down pulling new permits in order to avoid going through what they did in 2008 and as a result that shortage will continue.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:19 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:

This is NOT 2008 I say again. That was fueled by MASSIVE overbuilding with sub standard quality mortgages and gambling in the larger market.

Today - there is a housing SHORTAGE. Builders are already slowing down pulling new permits in order to avoid going through what they did in 2008 and as a result that shortage will continue.
Well...until the institutional buyers that purchased blocks of homes the past couple of years start dumping those back on the market.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:32 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well...until the institutional buyers that purchased blocks of homes the past couple of years start dumping those back on the market.
This aspect has been covered in this thread way back when. UNLESS these investors were in these homes for equity profit - I do not seem them being dumped in droves. Most of them are in it for cash flow - and right now there is not a lot better place for their capital to go!

People still need places to live and will continue to pay rent.

Now, many of the mom and pop investors who need the CASH for themselves - they may and likely are - selling now to take in profits - but even not all of them are dumping.

We ll see - and a STABILIZATION was needed - but I don't see a crash.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
This aspect has been covered in this thread way back when.
Let's jot your predictions down. What's going to happen to the median price of a PHX home? Up, down, or sideways. And by home much? Give us a percentage.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:52 AM

13,687 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Why wait? The RE market is changing FAST!

Yep! John, did you list any of your properties? If not, do you wish you would have?

No. I manage the homes myself and the rental income is very good. I tend to doubt we'll see anything like the last housing crash. However, in the event there is an all-out free fall in home prices I have the cash to jump in.

When I'm 75 I think about selling but for now I'm good.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:02 AM

13,687 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
This aspect has been covered in this thread way back when. UNLESS these investors were in these homes for equity profit - I do not seem them being dumped in droves. Most of them are in it for cash flow - and right now there is not a lot better place for their capital to go!

People still need places to live and will continue to pay rent.

Now, many of the mom and pop investors who need the CASH for themselves - they may and likely are - selling now to take in profits - but even not all of them are dumping.

If a company like Invitation Homes had dumped 4k homes on the market this would have been reported. I suspect many sellers are mom/pop investors, flippers, those with a second, third home.

The question inquiring minds what to know is: Will the inventory continue to rise or will it suddenly slow down?

Old 07-06-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Housing is providing a glimpse of what deflation looks like and why it is so disastrous for an economy. The Great Depression was the classic example. In a deflationary economy consumers postpone purchases because they expect the price to be lower at a later point in time. Demand reduction does eventually drive the price lower confirming their expectation, and so they continue to defer. It is a self perpetuating spiral.

Everyone is focused on inflation right now. But deflation is actually in the works with the Fed's overreacting on rates and supply side issues (the real cause of inflation not wage price pressure) abating.

Anyway, a deflationary spiral in housing might be hard to stop especially in places like Phoenix that depend on newcomers.
I suppose anything can happen. We just need to paint some gloomy scenarios and get ourselves all lathered up. What happened is easy to explain. Supply chain issues (COVID, buyers spending money differently, governments giving away "free money") caused inflation. Super cheap money fueled it to another level. Specifically, housing got waaaaay out of hand as the FED's propped up the market by buying MBS long after they should have. The government finally had to react because of the war and the cost of fuel. Frankly, I think the FED's are incompetent fools! Those A-holes should have seen the writing on the wall. Ask any GD business person (and I have): not a damn one thought it was "transitionary"!

As a result, people were buying "cheap payments" for housing and that resulted in a home-buying frenzy (which skyrocketed labor and materials too). Now, the opposite is happening. The cost of money jumped in price and now the new perception is that housing prices are going to drop. And they will! It's highly improbable that a "deflationary spiral" is taking over. Rather, a correction that can be propped up (a floor) by reducing the interest rates back down.

I would be more pessimistic if we had a labor surplus. So long as people are feeling comfortable with having an income, a pending recession won't be a big deal. And so long as inflation is still happening (and it is), that's also going to have an artificial floor on how low PHX RE can go. YMMV. But I'm sleeping like a baby.

I'd be surprised if PHX RE dropped 20%. I'd also be surprised if it didn't drop 10%.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 07-06-2022 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area