Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2022, 08:15 AM

219 posts, read 178,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Why wouldn't they? They pay below market, hit you with a bunch of fees including "refresh fees", slap on some paint and maybe some new carpet and put it back on the market. Then charge the buyer similar fees in the form of commission.

For example: Buy a home worth $500k for say $475k, seller thinks they are getting a deal since they don't have to prep/fix anything and the sale is a done deal. Then the iBuyer charges (on average) 5% "Service fee) so $23,750 in this case ($48,750 so far). Seller figures they would have paid 6% to a realtor so why not. Then they add in a $10k "repair fee" ($58,750 so far).

They then put let's say $5k into paint and "upgrades" ($53,750), put the house on the market for $500k. They are going to pay a buying agent ~2.5% ($12,500) or sell it through their own process and keep that money ($46,250 - $58,750) deduct some closing costs ($10k -ish?) and they just made $35,250 - $48,750 on a flip (basically)

Obviously in a declining market, they will offer less to make up their margin but from what I understand, most of these iBuyers want to make at least $30k per unit.
Well, Zillow was bleeding money with a similar program and they stopped it. Plus, homes are sitting on the market now. Doesn't make a lot of sense to be a house flipper in this current environment.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:34 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,171,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingRebel View Post
Well, Zillow was bleeding money with a similar program and they stopped it. Plus, homes are sitting on the market now. Doesn't make a lot of sense to be a house flipper in this current environment.
Well...people and companies with money know how to game a downturn. Stocks start dropping, buy the undervalued stocks on the cheap. Housing downturn? I don't know...maybe low balling every seller out there and then wholesale the properties to corporate renters/investors? Really depends on what their investment strategy is, long term or short term and how much inventory they can or are willing to carry.

I don't know...I am sure they have a strategy for market downturns, whether it be, like you said, pausing their purchasing to gauge the bottom or artificially propping up comps with higher purchasing offers (like they have been doing) or maybe taking the inventory they already have and spinning off a property rental product/business to put some cash flow in place. Again, I don't know, unlike a small investor, the big boys have much more capital to play with and it is all in percentages. My gut says they put in extremely low offers, hit the seller with fees and then put the house back on the market even if they are making a smaller percentage on it. I guess time will tell if all these iBuyers dry up and go away.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:52 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,670,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
What about the inventory they get stuck with if prices quickly decline when buyers dry up they have to dump lot of homes cause prices to fall even more. They won't want to get stuck holding anything that 46-58k profit turns into a 45-60k loss.
In sha allah.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:09 PM

784 posts, read 925,240 times
It sure looks like the number of homes for sale keep rising higher each and every day.

The houses I've watching are also dropping in price, some as much as 10+%...how low will they go?

I don't think we will even see it getting really bad until after the first of the year.......we'll see.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:32 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,751,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
It sure looks like the number of homes for sale keep rising higher each and every day.

The houses I've watching are also dropping in price, some as much as 10+%...how low will they go?

I don't think we will even see it getting really bad until after the first of the year.......we'll see.

Nobody knows for sure but it seems like the consensus amongst the experts is that we're in a cooling market that is moving to a more normal/healthy position.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...p/10158478002/

Old 08-15-2022, 10:25 AM

6,783 posts, read 5,096,860 times
Purely anecdotal... I've been seeing more open house signs in Gilbert. We had one in our neighborhood recently. They are asking nearly 2x what they paid for it less than two years ago. Will be interesting to see how long that one takes to sell, and if they need to drop their listing price at all.

One other house in our neighborhood is listed, but it's much bigger than any other houses in our neighborhood. They dropped the price 10% a couple of months ago. Still "sitting".

Old 08-15-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Purely anecdotal... I've been seeing more open house signs in Gilbert. We had one in our neighborhood recently. They are asking nearly 2x what they paid for it less than two years ago. Will be interesting to see how long that one takes to sell, and if they need to drop their listing price at all.

One other house in our neighborhood is listed, but it's much bigger than any other houses in our neighborhood. They dropped the price 10% a couple of months ago. Still "sitting".
Seeing a lot of this in Chandler as well...so called "protected markets" due to their proximity to Intel and Tech Corridor. Just using Zillow as an indicator we are down 3.5% over the past 30 days and 4.3% from the peak in June. I wonder how many of those homes on the market are investors trying to cash in or homeowners trying to profit before it falls any more. I am seeing a few that were purchased this year re-listed well above what they paid for them. Average days on the market around 25. There are quite a few price cuts and some are sitting on the market since June. Hopefully this all normalizes and we are out of the "funny money" phase.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:32 PM

219 posts, read 178,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well...people and companies with money know how to game a downturn. Stocks start dropping, buy the undervalued stocks on the cheap. Housing downturn? I don't know...maybe low balling every seller out there and then wholesale the properties to corporate renters/investors? Really depends on what their investment strategy is, long term or short term and how much inventory they can or are willing to carry.

I don't know...I am sure they have a strategy for market downturns, whether it be, like you said, pausing their purchasing to gauge the bottom or artificially propping up comps with higher purchasing offers (like they have been doing) or maybe taking the inventory they already have and spinning off a property rental product/business to put some cash flow in place. Again, I don't know, unlike a small investor, the big boys have much more capital to play with and it is all in percentages. My gut says they put in extremely low offers, hit the seller with fees and then put the house back on the market even if they are making a smaller percentage on it. I guess time will tell if all these iBuyers dry up and go away.
The writing is on the wall for at least one of these companies. https://www.azfamily.com/2022/08/10/...-home-sellers/

Old 08-15-2022, 03:24 PM

6,355 posts, read 4,944,921 times
In my little microcosm of a modest middle class subdivision in 85032, homes recently have been taking more than a month to sell, no bidding wars, some price drops, and some sold for less than asking. One is one the market for 3 months now and the seller is still holding out for $575,000 (4/2 with no pool) when a 4/2 with a pool sold last month for $560,000, down from an asking price of $575,000. Comparable interiors.

My Zestimate is down from $488,000 to $469,000 in just a couple of weeks. Not that I care. I bought the house 3 years ago for half that and it's my forever home.

Anyway, the cooling off is here. It's just a matter of how soon and how deep it's going.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingRebel View Post
The writing is on the wall for at least one of these companies. https://www.azfamily.com/2022/08/10/...-home-sellers/
I saw that...yeah but anyone that even THOUGHT of dealing with an iBuyer had to have known they were getting lowballed and then getting fee after fee piled on. It is not that hard to recognize that a business is not going to make you the best offer you are going to get and then make no money on the deal. People don't work for free...if a company wants your house it is because they are going to make money off of it.

OpenDoor got fined cause they kept telling people that they were getting the best price they were going to get for their property. Which after all the fees and comparing what they COULD have sold for with a Realtor...is almost always false. iBuyers are going after the instant gratification crowd and taking them for what they can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area