Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 05:15 PM

13,956 posts, read 8,127,167 times

Advertisements

Earlier wrote: Last SFH I rented (late 2021) there were roughly 80 inquires. Rented home in 2 days.

I should add I listed it $100 under market rate. I wanted move the property fast. Pre-screened roughly 80 inquires. Ended up with 3 I wanted to show the house.

First couple took it.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:56 AM

1,697 posts, read 1,290,348 times
If you're really concerned about climate change, you need to focus your frustrations on China.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:08 AM

2,807 posts, read 3,189,757 times
Default True, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
If true, in the long run very few will be able to afford housing. It’s not possible, for example, to spend more than 100% of income on housing.
Long periods of peace and prosperity have always lead to extreme distributions of wealth. For example, the long relative period of peace from the Napoleonic Wars to WW1 in Europe lead to the upper 10% in Victorian England to own 100% of all wealth including RE. Latin America which did not materially participate in WW1 and WW2 also shows very lopsided wealth inequality. Since WW2 ended we are on the same path, albeit not there yet. But one would have to be blind not to see we are fast approaching at least a 80% -tenant no ownership of anything- population.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:23 PM

6,792 posts, read 5,103,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Since WW2 ended we are on the same path, albeit not there yet. But one would have to be blind not to see we are fast approaching at least a 80% -tenant no ownership of anything- population.
It can go even beyond tenant vs. owner.

If the cost of shelter grows faster than wages indefinitely, at some point the meager profit in renting to the common people will not justify such an enterprise. The wealthy will do something else with their land. Most people will have to make do with whatever shelter they can stitch together from materials they can find at little or no cost... dead vehicles, waste scraps from construction projects, tires, rammed earth, etc. No sanitation or utilities for most people.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:35 PM

2,947 posts, read 2,046,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
If you're really concerned about climate change, you need to focus your frustrations on China.
Let's do nothing then and give China the green economy. Good thinking.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
It can go even beyond tenant vs. owner.

If the cost of shelter grows faster than wages indefinitely, at some point the meager profit in renting to the common people will not justify such an enterprise. The wealthy will do something else with their land. Most people will have to make do with whatever shelter they can stitch together from materials they can find at little or no cost... dead vehicles, waste scraps from construction projects, tires, rammed earth, etc. No sanitation or utilities for most people.
Rents are a consumption good and will stay in line with wage growth. But you are correct the purchase price to rent ratio will go up ever more (corrective periods none withstanding). The calculation will shift ever more towards appreciation vs. rent yield. So the rich will stay in the RE to rent game, just for a different reason. As you have noticed, the rich (Wall Street etc.) have definitively encroached on the SFH market since the last crisis. You see massive fund buys etc. that we have not seen before. They are here to stay. We are at the point in the game where the top 10% start to gobble up SFHs for rent meaningfully. In the past they stuck to stocks and other assets, but here we are. I wish I had a better way forward but history almost singularly points to this outcome. We could look back into the Roman Empire or Renaissance-era European towns and find the same.

Old 03-02-2022, 06:26 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,229,487 times
Quote:
Rents are a consumption good and will stay in line with wage growth. But you are correct the purchase price to rent ratio will go up ever more (corrective periods none withstanding). The calculation will shift ever more towards appreciation vs. rent yield. So the rich will stay in the RE to rent game, just for a different reason. As you have noticed, the rich (Wall Street etc.) have definitively encroached on the SFH market since the last crisis. You see massive fund buys etc. that we have not seen before. They are here to stay. We are at the point in the game where the top 10% start to gobble up SFHs for rent meaningfully. In the past they stuck to stocks and other assets, but here we are. I wish I had a better way forward but history almost singularly points to this outcome. We could look back into the Roman Empire or Renaissance-era European towns and find the same.
I'm with you. It's tough to compete with deep pockets and as the years move on, the game is more skewed in favor of people with $$. Add in the fact there are incredible tax advantages for renting out property. On paper, landlords "lose money" or "break-even". And when they sell, their capital gains are capped at a much lower marginal tax rate (I rented out a few of my homes to vacationers and I understand the game).

Remember, https://www.businessinsider.com/cong...te-law-2021-12 At least 238 federal lawmakers are also landlords and more than 200 senior congressional staffers also own properties and land they rent across the US. If you ever wonder why nothing will change, read the supplied link.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I'm with you. It's tough to compete with deep pockets and as the years move on, the game is more skewed in favor of people with $$. Add in the fact there are incredible tax advantages for renting out property. On paper, landlords "lose money" or "break-even". And when they sell, their capital gains are capped at a much lower marginal tax rate (I rented out a few of my homes to vacationers and I understand the game).

Remember, https://www.businessinsider.com/cong...te-law-2021-12 At least 238 federal lawmakers are also landlords and more than 200 senior congressional staffers also own properties and land they rent across the US. If you ever wonder why nothing will change, read the supplied link.
When we look at municipal tax records across the world which in some cases survived 1000+ years, we most often find 3-4 families owning virtually all real estate in a given town or city. This is regardless of country or political system. As long as there is no cataclysmic event like the Black Death or the town gets razed to the ground by warfare. In our case the perception is distorted by WW2 which forced massive equalization via high taxes on rich, labor union strength, mass conscriptions of workers making them rare etc. But since V-Day 1945, first slowly then ever faster these effects are waning. I'm afraid we are headed to the historical norm. You are spot-on about taxation rules shifting in favor of the super-rich. That's only a part of the Great Shift moving RE ownership from masses to elites, but certainly important. Even though I personally enjoy homeownership a lot, and wish it for everyone. I'm afraid for our grandchildren it will be a pipe dream. What we are seeing in Phoenix right now is the perfect example. Massive shifts in SFH ownership towards funds, massive increase of tenant population with no hope to ever achieve homeownership. I wish I had a better solution at hand.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:49 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,848,708 times
Quote:
When we look at municipal tax records across the world which in some cases survived 1000+ years, we most often find 3-4 families owning virtually all real estate in a given town or city. This is regardless of country or political system. As long as there is no cataclysmic event like the Black Death or the town gets razed to the ground by warfare. In our case the perception is distorted by WW2 which forced massive equalization via high taxes on rich, labor union strength, mass conscriptions of workers making them rare etc. But since V-Day 1945, first slowly then ever faster these effects are waning. I'm afraid we are headed to the historical norm. You are spot-on about taxation rules shifting in favor of the super-rich. That's only a part of the Great Shift moving RE ownership from masses to elites, but certainly important. Even though I personally enjoy homeownership a lot, and wish it for everyone. I'm afraid for our grandchildren it will be a pipe dream. What we are seeing in Phoenix right now is the perfect example. Massive shifts in SFH ownership towards funds, massive increase of tenant population with no hope to ever achieve homeownership. I wish I had a better solution at hand.
You already said it, we just enforce it to stay instead of letting presidents like Nixon butcher it. High taxes, labor unions, etc.

Unionization is a growing movement today. Several Starbucks stores have begun the unionization process, and it’s very likely that Amazon will as well

Old 03-02-2022, 08:39 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,229,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
You already said it, we just enforce it to stay instead of letting presidents like Nixon butcher it. High taxes, labor unions, etc.

Unionization is a growing movement today. Several Starbucks stores have begun the unionization process, and it’s very likely that Amazon will as well
Every single solitary change has trade-offs. Unions do too. I see the value (net-net). Though Unions can become too powerful like here (the Ports) https://www.theatlantic.com/business...conomy/385858/ or here (teacher and other public servants making as much as when they work) https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...h=6176d2506129 Never mind some worthless Union workers are protected for getting fired. I can think of some PHX police that qualifies.

If we could fix some of these issues ^^, I certainly understand why some people what a union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area