Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2022, 08:08 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Several houses on my street sold for way more that they were worth and have just been sitting empty. There should be an extra property tax or something for companies holding 5+ residential properties.

I use to know everyone on my street, now I have a VRBO, 3 empty houses, and a bunch of rentals.
Sorry to hear that your neighborhood fabric has been destroyed.

Did you look to see who bought those properties that are sitting empty? That seems a little odd for someone to buy and sit on them. Anyone with a brain can see that a real estate storm is coming. The best case is the values stop growing around this summer. So I don't understand their business plan.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:39 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,177,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Sorry to hear that your neighborhood fabric has been destroyed.

Did you look to see who bought those properties that are sitting empty? That seems a little odd for someone to buy and sit on them. Anyone with a brain can see that a real estate storm is coming. The best case is the values stop growing around this summer. So I don't understand their business plan.
The BfR (buy for rent) folks are really gearing up for a bubble and crash. There's so much dumb money dropping particularly in the SFH rentals here in Phoenix you can smell it. It stinks. The reaching for yield of this cycle (like MBS papers were in 2008). I love my investors who pile in at the top and bail out at the bottom. I love to buy from you in a few years.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:45 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
The BfR (buy for rent) folks are really gearing up for a bubble and crash. There's so much dumb money dropping particularly in the SFH rentals here in Phoenix you can smell it. It stinks. The reaching for yield of this cycle (like MBS papers were in 2008). I love my investors who pile in at the top and bail out at the bottom. I love to buy from you in a few years.
Buy from me? I buy low.

In a few years, I bet the rates will be ultra-low again. Low rates and high inflation could mean it will turn around again. Of course, McDonald's may be paying people $50K to flip $9 burgers. All I can predict is peak PHX prices will happen in a couple of months. 4,000 more homes went on the market LAST WEEK so it's only a matter of time before the appreciation stops and (probably) will turn around some.

Old 05-18-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Buy from me? I buy low.

In a few years, I bet the rates will be ultra-low again. Low rates and high inflation could mean it will turn around again. Of course, McDonald's may be paying people $50K to flip $9 burgers. All I can predict is peak PHX prices will happen in a couple of months. 4,000 more homes went on the market LAST WEEK so it's only a matter of time before the appreciation stops and (probably) will turn around some.
Sorry I meant the investors who pile in like crazy right now with "you", not YOU I misspoke. I know there would be no chance...

Old 05-22-2022, 10:14 AM

13,731 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Buy from me? I buy low.

The other day a property near my house reduced the asking price. I've mentioned before I have renters in Gilbert who are very well qualified to buy. They recently told me they plan to rent for another 2 years before looking to buy again. All eyes are on the inventory.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ACTLISCOU38060

Last edited by john3232; 05-22-2022 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-22-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The other day a property near my house reduced the asking price. I've mentioned before I have renters in Gilbert who are very well qualified to buy. They recently told me they plan to rent for another 2 years before looking to buy again. All eyes are on the inventory.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ACTLISCOU38060
SFH inventory is actually rapidly rising in PHX, up 84% from a year ago... but still very low compared to pre-Covid. Still a lot of patience required IMO.

https://arizonarealestatenotebook.su...-in-1-week?s=w

Old 05-22-2022, 12:30 PM

13,731 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
SFH inventory is actually rapidly rising in PHX, up 84% from a year ago... but still very low compared to pre-Covid. Still a lot of patience required IMO.

https://arizonarealestatenotebook.su...-in-1-week?s=w

Just out of curiosity. What areas would you like to invest and/or live in?

Old 05-22-2022, 12:40 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times
Quote:
Yeah, 2020 was rough. If I recall 115 was the norm that summer. I had a renter constantly complain because the AC wouldn't drop fast enough after he returned home late in the afternoon. At which time setting sun was starting to hit the glass windows in the kitchen, living room and master bedroom dead on.

I ended up replacing the sun screens with a much better quality and that seemed to have solved the issue.
I can understand that he had sun hitting glass dead on in the afternoon (luckily I didn't) but couldn't he at least keep his A/C at 80-85? That's what I did while working in Phoenix during the day. I'm sure things like thermal room darkening curtains were used or at least suggested? Etc.? Just curious. And granted, I had a condo that was 750 sq ft.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I live in North Phoenix and would be looking to invest there. Quite a vast area and I'm somewhat flexible. One idea I have (you never know how it pans out) is that my daughter and family do not live too far away from us because grandchildren are our life elixir. I would like to partner with them buying a MF rental where they can occupy one unit on the way for them to buy a SFH later. Let's see. In any case right now buying anything is out of the question as I believe the RE cycle needs to complete the boom phase and then go through a 4ish year long decline. Even if this decline will be nothing like 2006-10 and mostly in real terms (nominally I don't expect much loss at all) I do not want to buy until towards the end of the decline, say 2026 at the earliest.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:49 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,005,605 times
Quote:
Furnished downtown Fresno condo is selling for 320k. Might be worth a plane trip to see it, John.
Pool, spa, and tennis court included.
500-600k likely price near downtown Phoenix.
Looks like a low hassle rental.

Just passing this to you cause it seems like up your alley

Link

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...18763430_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area