Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 09:24 PM

41 posts, read 29,186 times

Advertisements

Lately, I've noticed how much people want to leave the Phoenix Metro area. They always want to go to places like Tennessee, Kentucky, California, Colorado, etc. Some people even prefer to live in Tucson. I don't understand the reasoning why people don't like the Phoenix area. It's so nice here and there is nothing to dislike. I get that it's hot, but you adapt quickly. It seems I've never met anyone who likes living in Phoenix. When I tell them how I think it's really nice, they always give me a funny look. I've also had friends tell me that I'm probably going to have to relocate because I won't find a soulmate here. I don't understand. I am beginning to think people would rather live in San Francisco and in the Bay area.

My question is, why are people wanting to leave the Phoenix metro area? I get the heat isn't for everyone, but are there any other reasons? I don't see anything else wrong with the area as a whole. I'm just someone who likes it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 09:45 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,983,825 times
What data indicates people want to leave? The constant influx of people says otherwise. Said influx, however, may lead to a desire by some to leave.

Old 03-03-2022, 04:34 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,473,476 times
These stats are old, so don't know how current they are. But one of the banks I used to call on as their sales rep kept extremely good statistics on the Phoenix area in order to allocate resources to woo people in as customers. The one piece of data that I always found interesting was that for every three people moving into Phoenix, two move out. Arizona is a transient state and has been for decades. People either love it or hate it.

Personally I've tried to leave three times as an adult and keep coming back. Though I did finally end up in Tucson after another 6 year run in Phoenix.

Old 03-03-2022, 06:39 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Phoenix is pretty bland in comparison to other cities in terms of variety of neighborhoods. For the most part all the cities have the same neighborhoods. The biggest difference is geographic location and price point but that’s it. I will say Phoenix itself, as well as Tempe, Scottsdale and Mesa are exceptions. But only in their central portions before new-ish suburbia sets in (80s+). If you like what the other 80% of Phoenix offers then by all means, but if you want something different you are going to have a hard time. And this is where Phoenix fails HARD, is it’s lack of interest in even diversifying who it appeals to. They won’t do things like expand light rail, more bike lanes, encourage economic districts etc. and instead do more of the same old stuff on the outskirts while not changing much of its central area to be different from its outskirts. Sure they are doing bits and pieces of improvement now, now so more than ever, but without it being homogenous and continuous against a significant land area then you won’t get a truly walkable and dense livable district. The lack of consistency means where they are putting in these things to “appeal” to democratic voters and leading to a true lack of greater functionality and usability only points to further lobbying and corruption for not supporting diversity in lifestyles offered here. And citizens here don’t seem to care, so the ones that do leave.

Places like the Bay Area in contrast do offer this. They have the only district with a 100 walk score that isn’t NYC (Tenderloin) and have many areas with 90+ walk score grades. In addition to those areas, the Bay Area does have more suburban style neighborhoods like in Marin County.

The Bay Area excels for a career climber looking for status in their professional life. Phoenix lacks on this front in comparison to many similarly sized metros, and falls behind some smaller ones. Phoenix’s lack of a more robust economy for a career climber is a definitely noted con that encourages people like myself (white collar educated mid-20s professional) to leave the metro and make money elsewhere. In contrast, Phoenix is sleepier as a result, which appeals to older types who also don’t encourage diversity in lifestyles as older people themselves tend to get set in their ways so it’s a feedback loop of the point I made prior.

Those points, as well as the heat honestly, are why I want to leave Phoenix, as well as some others.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:26 AM

71 posts, read 45,512 times
Because for being the 5th largest city in the country behind Chicago and Houston, this city is a cultural wasteland. Like, Prickly Pear said, this city is basically an oversized suburb. The suburbs serve as neighborhoods for the city and pretty much every neighborhood looks the same. It's a very bland city compared to others. The weather is getting worse every year and the summers just get hotter year by year. The economy is pretty blue collar. When Phoenix gets companies investing here, its usually in warehouses/factories or something like that. Phoenix doesn't get the actual white collar offices like an Austin, Chicago, Boston, or New York does. This city attracts midwest retirees, poor folks priced out of California, and "laid back" people seeking year round warm weather, top talent isn't going to Phoenix. And of course walkability, transit, and urbanity is all subpar here.

The number one thing is that the low cost of living made up for the deficiencies in Phoenix. Well the prices in Phoenix are quickly approaching coastal levels so it just doesn't make sense to live here when I can live somewhere else with better amenities and such for similar prices.

Last edited by bearsmiths; 03-03-2022 at 07:38 AM..

Old 03-03-2022, 07:35 AM

30,343 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixInCentralArizona View Post
Lately, I've noticed how much people want to leave the Phoenix Metro area. They always want to go to places like Tennessee, Kentucky, California, Colorado, etc. Some people even prefer to live in Tucson. I don't understand the reasoning why people don't like the Phoenix area. It's so nice here and there is nothing to dislike. I get that it's hot, but you adapt quickly. It seems I've never met anyone who likes living in Phoenix. When I tell them how I think it's really nice, they always give me a funny look. I've also had friends tell me that I'm probably going to have to relocate because I won't find a soulmate here. I don't understand. I am beginning to think people would rather live in San Francisco and in the Bay area.

My question is, why are people wanting to leave the Phoenix metro area? I get the heat isn't for everyone, but are there any other reasons? I don't see anything else wrong with the area as a whole. I'm just someone who likes it here.
Looks like a whole lot more people are trying to move to Phoenix than leave it, and that's been true for at least 60 years and counting. No place is perfect, and you will always have people dissatisfied with some things about an area.

I want San Diego climate, Seattle vegetation, Detroit housing prices, New Orleans food, crime rate of Idaho, best education in the world, no pollution, where do I go?dubious: (that was rhetorical)

Old 03-03-2022, 07:55 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
People keep moving here so they must like it. The ones that complain seem to be the ones that want to change it. They seem to be young and were born here.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:53 AM

13,703 posts, read 7,984,033 times
Given how fast the Phx metro has been growing in recent years the question isn't why are people leaving.

But why people are moving here in droves.

$2200-$2500 and you share an apartment in the nicer areas of SF. Here you can get your own apartment in Tempe or downtown Phx for that.

100-150k gets you nowhere in the more attractive parts of Cal. And SF? Don't think about buying unless you're earning close to 500k. MN has a son who is a doctor in SF. I believe his girlfriend (wife?) is also a doctor. Combined income will probably hit 1M in a few years. They can afford to buy in SF.

I have a renter in Gilbert who is a doctor earning 230k. Wife is stay home mother. They can afford to buy almost anywhere in the Valley.

AZ is a purple state. The name sheriff Joe Arpaio means nothing to those moving here. Phx swings to the left. Not SF left but left nevertheless. Downtown Phx and Tempe are happening spots for singles.

And East Mesa which seems to shut down around 9 pm is a good fit for old fogies like myself. The summers? Once the sun goes down Red Mountain park (East Mesa) becomes active. People walking, playing volleyball, basketball and pickleball.

No place is perfect except maybe the city/town where you grew up. Which in my case was San Francisco. Sadly the SF I knew no longer exists. But then I'm sure many people say the same thing about the Phx metro.

The world turns... life goes on.

Last edited by john3232; 03-03-2022 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-03-2022, 09:02 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,797,242 times
OP, where are you getting your info? A quick search shows that Phoenix has had the highest growth in the US for 5 years in a row. Also it is the only city among the top 10 in the US that has double digit growth (11+%)

I'm not a huge Phoenix fan particularly, but facts are facts....try to get them straight.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/13/phoeni...or-city-in-us/
https://www.phoenix.gov/newsroom/ced/1927

Old 03-03-2022, 09:43 AM

41 posts, read 29,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
OP, where are you getting your info? A quick search shows that Phoenix has had the highest growth in the US for 5 years in a row. Also it is the only city among the top 10 in the US that has double digit growth (11+%)

I'm not a huge Phoenix fan particularly, but facts are facts....try to get them straight.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/13/phoeni...or-city-in-us/
https://www.phoenix.gov/newsroom/ced/1927
I had two friends tell me that I'm gonna have to move if I meet a soulmate because that's typically the case for everyone. I also had a friend say that people prefer smaller cities, but I prefer bigger cities. They made it sound like I'm leaving if I decide to start dating or get married. They both don't like Phoenix as much. I can kind of tell. Also, I met someone who said she wants to move back to California and who prefers Tucson over Phoenix and has lived in both. She said crime in Phoenix is really bad. I feel safe here, but I spend my time in the southeast valley and in the east valley as well as Scottsdale. She prefers Los Angeles over Phoenix and California as a whole over Arizona. I've also had 2 friends that prefer Prescott over Phoenix. Then I met someone who grew up in Phoenix and says he hates it so much out here. I've only met one person who she said she can't imagine living anywhere else. She was really sweet and nice. She didn't want to move, but her husband did.

Maybe I just haven't met many people who want to stay here. Women in particular want to live in The Bay area and if they like Arizona, they prefer Tucson to have kids. Really? I am not a Tucson person. The schools are probably better in the Phoenix area. Chandler USD, Kyrene USD, Mesa USD, and Scottsdale USD are better than any schools in Tucson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area