Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:32 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Strictly speaking; Central Ave is the '0' street for the east and west number streets on the Phx/Maricopa County grid.

Likewise; Buckeye is the 'cut point' for north and south streets------Van Buren/McKellips are on the 300 north alignment.
Well, I know that, but it doesn't make it the west or east valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:15 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Yes, they are very different and I'd never live in the West Valley. I live in North Scottsdale and, if I had to live anywhere else, I would not live here. My advice? Stay away from the West Valley.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yes, they are very different and I'd never live in the West Valley. I live in North Scottsdale and, if I had to live anywhere else, I would not live here. My advice? Stay away from the West Valley.
Ever been out to Verrado??

Old 05-21-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Ever been out to Verrado??
No, but I am curious as you had said there were drive by shootings two miles from where I live (N. Scottsdale, Shea and Scottsdale Road) and you never got back to me. Care to now?

P.S. There are no drive by shootings in North Scottsdale, FWIW.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
No, but I am curious as you had said there were drive by shootings two miles from where I live (N. Scottsdale, Shea and Scottsdale Road) and you never got back to me. Care to now?

P.S. There are no drive by shootings in North Scottsdale, FWIW.
Another poster gave you the info about Sct and Shea

You should go to Verrado - it might change your mind about the "West Side"

Old 05-21-2008, 10:39 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzpo1 View Post
This thread is not meant to be a war zone

Coming from Boston, there's always been a "sibling rivalry" of sorts between the "North Shore" and the "South Shore" in terms of culture, wealth, attitude, fashion, etc...

Can anyone give me an idea if this exists in Phoenix among the Valleys?

Yes, but their are good and bad areas on both sides. It's all the same and a matter of preference.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:48 PM

Check out what happened a few weeks ago on the South East Corner of Scottsdale Road and Shea - the Windmill Plaza - Buzz Nightclub

Old 05-21-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Check out what happened a few weeks ago on the South East Corner of Scottsdale Road and Shea - the Windmill Plaza - Buzz Nightclub
So now you admit you did post that? After you denied it? Do you have a link?

Old 05-22-2008, 07:19 AM

611 posts, read 2,308,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Yes, but their are good and bad areas on both sides. It's all the same and a matter of preference.
Good morning sheena. I completely agree with you, even though you're a SE sider. Just kindly joking with you. LOL I wish you and your husband would have picked N or NW when you moved back to Phoenix because it would have been great to meet you and maybe even become neighbors, but entirely understand you wanting to be closer to your mom in Mesa. Have a wonderful day.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:21 AM

942 posts, read 2,520,537 times
We moved here about 7 months ago and chose the West Valley over the East Valley. There are some cities in the West Valley that give this area a bad rep. I'm thinking of Avondale and Tolleson, although they certainly have nice parts. We looked at the East Valley in the past and liked it, but some of the houses were looking a bit dated since it had been developed awhile back. We did not look at any new construction out there. I do like Gilbert and Chandler. We chose to live in Goodyear (specifically, Palm Valley) because it offered less crowding, somewhat more affordable housing. We felt that we didn't necessarily pay less for a house, but we were able to get a single story on a larger lot, with better upgrades. I don't know of a neighbor that isn't college-educated and we haven't had any problems here that I'm aware of. We've accidently slept with our garage door open several different nights and our 3 Harley Davidsons were still there, along with our two cars, and my husband's $3,000 worth of bicylcles. According to the Goodyear city website:
Median household income est. 2007: $72,200

Educational level of Goodyear heads of household: 81% are college-educated with 49% obtaining college degrees

One of our neighbors moved here from Chandler. He said he got in early in Chandler and made his money there and moved here to watch this area develop and hopefully see some appreciation in his home. Will he? I don't know. I do know that there is retail/commercial construction on just about every corner. Numerous restaurants, hotels, and a mall are in costruction at this time. It is our hope that this area will develop nicely just as Gilbert did several years ago. I should probably add that we were taking trips to PHX starting in about 2001, so we witnessed some of the growth. Arrowhead, Verrado, and Estrella Mountain Ranch are examples of some of the great communities that are considered part of the West Valley.

We have some friends that just moved here and I was telling them that there is a place for everyone in the Valley. Some people will love the East Valley and others will love the West Valley. Some will love Scottsdale, others Queen Creek. Everybody is different. I do suspect that many of the people that criticize the West Valley probably haven't been here in years and seen the growth/development that it is experiencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area