Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2022, 10:01 PM

135 posts, read 124,591 times

Advertisements

Phoenix gets the publicity of being an affordable West Coast destination. But outside of those who know the market, there isn't a lot of talk of the Phoenix Metro being a place for the uber wealthy. I recently did some research on the most expensive "luxury" real estate markets. I used $5m+ as the criteria to define luxury. Combining raw land, multifamily and single family real estate, Phoenix Metro ranked 7th overall. Phoenix ranked 3rd amongst all metros including only condos and single family homes. Here's the breakdown of the Top 10 cities with $5m+ real estate listings:

NY - 1404 listings
LA - 624 listings
MIA - 327 listings
SF - 172 listings
HOU - 148 listings
SD - 128 listings
PHX - 124 listings
BOS - 85 listings
DC - 67 listings
DAL - 63 listings

People are parking money in the Phoenix metro in a historic, alarming rate. Story below summarizes the mindset.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-are...rb-11643904785

Last edited by The Global Citizen; 03-07-2022 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 10:04 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
What makes that particularly “alarming”?

Old 03-07-2022, 10:31 PM

135 posts, read 124,591 times
People don't usually talk about the Phoenix metro in the same vein they discuss SD, SF, Seattle, and DC wealth. This conversation indicates otherwise that Phoenix has an alarming amount of wealth.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:08 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Global Citizen View Post
People don't usually talk about the Phoenix metro in the same vein they discuss SD, SF, Seattle, and DC wealth. This conversation indicates otherwise that Phoenix has an alarming amount of wealth.
I agree. Still not seeing what’s “alarming”.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:10 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Global Citizen View Post
Phoenix gets the publicity of being an affordable West Coast destination. But outside of those who know the market, there isn't a lot of talk of the Phoenix Metro being a place for the uber wealthy.
I'd like to know the percentage of the uber-wealthy that are actual residents (pay their taxes to AZ). Obviously, having multiple homes can skew the statistics with quoted "average income" and other metrics. I'm seeing, tract homes on 10,000 square foot lots with gorgeous views fetch over $2M?! They were $1.2M two short years ago. They are jazzed up. But >$2M???? And 60% are paying cash in our neighborhood. Other homes are north of $3M on a larger lot and nicer home. AND, people are waiting in an l-o-n-g line to get that (small) piece of the pie. With my anecdotal evidence, most are in their 50s and nearly all are already retired. They are coming for the views and the ideal weather months.

Therefore, I bet the uber-wealthy simply has another home in the PHX metro area. Because they are not residents, they are not counted in the official metro demographics. In Scottsdale, the median (2019) family income was $79K https://www.city-data.com/income/inco...e-Arizona.html . That doesn't buy much these days. The average Scottsdale income is $134K. Obviously, a small percentage of people are pulling up that average income (versus median) >70%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I agree. Still not seeing what’s “alarming”.
I bet he is talking about the massive amount of wealth that is held in a smaller amount of hands. Now, it's spread to PHX too. IMO, the wealth gap trend is very alarming. Often, the people in the USA complaining didn't mind our combined 25% wealth in the hands of 4% of the world's population. I'm not referring to the op, rather, the general mentality of Americans. In other words, all of us are less concerned when we are getting our unfairshare... I'm in that bucket and like many, I deeply care about our nuclear family: so long as we are doing well, it's tougher to take on the cause. Most people in the USA donate $50 every few years to feed the starving children in Africa. People sleep like a baby when they are crushing it as compared to people Sierra Leone or Congo. But the income disparity in the USA is "alarming".

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-08-2022 at 05:19 AM..

Old 03-08-2022, 07:20 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Define "alarming". A few years ago I was at a friend's home in N Scottsdale, most of the homes around his were all second (or third/fourth/fifth) homes owned by stock and commodity brokers. What exactly is "alarming" about wealthy people owning homes in the Metro Phoenix area?

FWIW...no Phoenix is not "affordable" anymore nor is it a "West Coast destination".

Old 03-08-2022, 07:49 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

I bet he is talking about the massive amount of wealth that is held in a smaller amount of hands. Now, it's spread to PHX too. IMO, the wealth gap trend is very alarming. Often, the people in the USA complaining didn't mind our combined 25% wealth in the hands of 4% of the world's population. I'm not referring to the op, rather, the general mentality of Americans. In other words, all of us are less concerned when we are getting our unfairshare... I'm in that bucket and like many, I deeply care about our nuclear family: so long as we are doing well, it's tougher to take on the cause. Most people in the USA donate $50 every few years to feed the starving children in Africa. People sleep like a baby when they are crushing it as compared to people Sierra Leone or Congo. But the income disparity in the USA is "alarming".
You're right, it is just your opinion. I like the wealth gap.....people that are smarter and work harder/have better ideas should get their payback, and that makes some people wealthier than others...just the way it is, and should be. Frankly I'm disappointed that the USA has only 25% of the world's wealth...the way we roll we should have closer to 50%. IMO.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:39 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
You're right, it is just your opinion. I like the wealth gap.....people that are smarter and work harder/have better ideas should get their payback, and that makes some people wealthier than others...just the way it is, and should be. Frankly I'm disappointed that the USA has only 25% of the world's wealth...the way we roll we should have closer to 50%. IMO.
We agree in bold. I suspect pretty much everyone agrees with that statement too. But since the wealth gap is getting MUCH wider (1% of the population has more money than the bottom 50% and 89% of the stocks are held by the top 10%), people must be getting so much smarter and must be working way harder than they use to in order to economically kick the crap out of everyone else. More importantly, they are increasing their wealth!

I now work part-time (10-20 hours a week) and I am up $700K in housing alone over the past 1.5 years. Based on the "Woody principal", it must be because I am so much smarter and worked so much harder. lol That said and in full disclosure, you won't catch me giving it away out of compassion. So like a lot of people (as I typed earlier), I care deeply about my nuclear family.

About 70% of my neighbors are young and retired. It must be from all that hard work. Or could there be other reasons?

Old 03-10-2022, 01:27 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
Yay

Old 03-10-2022, 02:47 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
Yay
Yippee-kai-yay!

This is no surprise to me, PV and Scottsdale have long been a favorite location for the wealthy, there are some gorgeous homes there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area