Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 10:15 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Illegals (most) have no business here and will get none of my support. Keeping the extras for onesself is pretty selfish of you to say, there are legit charities where you can direct your donation to those most deserving....
Where are you getting anything about “illegals” from this organization?

Gathering Humanity coordinates donations and volunteers to help others in need in our community, including refugees who are being resettled in the Phoenix Valley, immigrants seeking asylum, youth aging out of foster care, women leaving domestic violence shelters and others experiencing homelessness.

It seems some are just desperate to vent about their irrelevant grievances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 11:37 AM

47 posts, read 34,274 times
Wwdtd

Old 03-15-2022, 11:46 AM

566 posts, read 575,408 times
Quote:
Illegals (most) have no business here and will get none of my support. Keeping the extras for onesself is pretty selfish of you to say, there are legit charities where you can direct your donation to those most deserving....
Refugees aren’t illegal. In the US they arrive with their Greencard in hand. You need to do some homework.

Old 03-15-2022, 11:50 AM

9,816 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingLarry12 View Post
Wwdtd
That's easy to find out. Here you go... https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/23/u...lanthropy.html

"Mr. Trump did not have to reach into his wallet for most of that giving. The vast bulk of his charitable tax deductions, $119.3 million worth, came from simply agreeing not to develop land — in several cases, after he had shelved development plans.

Three of the agreements involved what are known as conservation easements — a maneuver, popular among wealthy Americans, that typically allows a landowner to keep a property’s title and receive a tax deduction equal to its appraised value.
"

Old 03-15-2022, 02:07 PM

24,140 posts, read 32,557,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
- and, god knows there are enough of them fleeing from all over - I discovered this place:

Gathering Humanity
https://gatheringhumanity.org

They're an all-volunteer group based in metro-Phoenix, specializing in re-settling refugees. I originally called them because I had a friend leaving town who was looking for places to usefully donate her furniture, but they are also happy to get various household items - and volunteers.
Yes. I am very sympathetic towards refugees from war or violence. Their legal status can be addressed once they are safe.

That is the definition of "refugee" - one who seeks refuge. We are not only a nation of immigrants, but a nation of refugees.

Thank you for posting.

Old 03-18-2022, 09:01 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,723,654 times
Quote:
It would be a great place to support...unless...unless they are categorizing illegal immigrants as 'refugees'...? Do you know?
I don't know, but they were very nice and forthright on the phone, so you could call and ask their criteria. When we spoke, I was asking about Afghans.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:20 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,723,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Advocating for veterans doesn't hinder refugees getting help. I'm puzzled why you want people that served their nation to suffer.

Homeless vets are way down on the list of groups that people line up to assist. I'm more of a take care of your own home before you help your neighbor.
Where did anyone say anything about wanting people to suffer?

And, by the way, some of these refugees are in fact people who helped us, including having helped the veterans directly.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:13 AM

50,960 posts, read 24,450,069 times
When I traveled to Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, and even Burma, at each country I had to show my passport and visa (or in some cases could get a short-term visa for tourism upon arrival). In no cases could I just walk into the country I was going to visit. I had to proceed via legal, internationally recognized procedures. In fact, when I would return to my own country -- the United States Of America -- I had to go through customs and provide my passport. That's the way it should be. No illegal border hopping.

Oh, and by the way, I'm a Democrat who is slightly left of center politically.

Oh, and by the way...again...it's not even a Democrat problem. Did Reagan solve the border issue? Bush? Bush round 2?

Old 07-28-2022, 10:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When I traveled to Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, and even Burma, at each country I had to show my passport and visa (or in some cases could get a short-term visa for tourism upon arrival). In no cases could I just walk into the country I was going to visit. I had to proceed via legal, internationally recognized procedures. In fact, when I would return to my own country -- the United States Of America -- I had to go through customs and provide my passport. That's the way it should be. No illegal border hopping.

Oh, and by the way, I'm a Democrat who is slightly left of center politically.

Oh, and by the way...again...it's not even a Democrat problem. Did Reagan solve the border issue? Bush? Bush round 2?
Interesting thoughts but not at all relevant when talking about refugees. This thread isn't discussing "illegal border hopping".

Old 07-28-2022, 12:14 PM

50,960 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Interesting thoughts but not at all relevant when talking about refugees. This thread isn't discussing "illegal border hopping".
I disagree because part of the question is how "refugee" is or should be defined. One definition is: "a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster". But for some that is expanded to economic woes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: