Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 12:48 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,237,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
So wait, oil companies are just now wanting record profits? Prior to 2020, the oil companies were serving our best interest?
That's not what I said. Oil is higher because the supply did not keep up with the demand. If you remember, the pandemic depressed energy prices. So much so that the U.S. benchmark oil price fell BELOW $0. So when people quote the MASSIVE swing in pricing (Trump versus Biden), they leave out that little factoid. No, Trump wasn't some genius keeping oil/gas ultra-low. The entire world drove less.

Next, the price burst back much faster than anyone expected. Basically, because the supply did not kept up with demand. And as I linked, investors (and that's a fact), as well as environmentalists, caused fewer well drillings than they did before the pandemic. Not because of "Brandon" limiting. Oh, he partially tried (though his administration added 3500 more permits that have not been tapped). But he did try to stop federal land and offshore water permits. But it simply was a temporary pause on new oil and gas leasing on federal property. Because that decision was thrown out by a federal judge in June of 2021. Don't take my word for it, read about it here https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...leasing-pause/ . Therefore, Biden's attempted policies had no impact on current gasoline prices.

Next, the Keystone XL pipeline would have NEVER been finished by now. That's because of lawsuits and logistics (in that order). therefore, it would have taken years to be fully operational. Now blame Biden several years from now. Then we agree. But not now. Plus, the total amount of barrels was going to be around 800,000 barrels. But it is tar sands oil. Those were going to the refineries on the Gulf Coast—and then to markets overseas. Moreover, the world uses 35,500,000,000 barrels a year. Do you think 800,000 (via Keystone) was going to save our ass? And it is not as if they are sitting on that oil in Canada. It's a global market ad they are shipping it other ways: Keystone would keep Canada's profits higher. Some people get confused: prices would have still gone UP even when we produce all of our own oil! Now, I prefer the USA or Canada to get jobs and profits. Not Russia and other rogue countries.

So back to my point. Before, the oil companies were never serving our best interest. I mean, we didn't feel bad when they were bleeding $$'s. But now is their time to rake us over. AND THIS IS NO DIFFERENT with all kinds of companies. I'm doing it too! Psst, read https://fortune.com/2022/03/31/us-co...kes-inflation/

People need to understand economics and then place the blame accordingly. You are being spun falsehoods by the talking heads that you are listening to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 01:02 PM

369 posts, read 271,544 times
Default The ball is in your court.

I hear nothing but distress about gas prices but what are you people doing to ease the pain at the pump?

Among all the complaining I still see the same kinds of guzzlers dominating the roads. Why does anyone need a huge lifted truck or a vehicle with a V8 engine for errands around town or driving to work?

How many of you traded your guzzler for a fuel-efficient car or electric vehicle? How many of you ride share or take the bus? How about walking or biking more? It's good exercise and economical.

All sorts of things you people can do to save money and stop feeding the greedy oil companies. You can either sit around and rant about prices or do something about it.

Old 06-09-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
I hear nothing but distress about gas prices but what are you people doing to ease the pain at the pump?
If I was at the helm, I would have started hundreds of identically designed nuclear power plants. The POS plants were designed in the 60's and finished in the 70's. The last new reactor in the USA was 2016. Before that, 1997. All of the technical problems are behind us. The new ones could reuse the stored nuclear fuel. https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/5...France%2C%20do.

Old 06-09-2022, 01:53 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,742,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If I was at the helm, I would have started hundreds of identically designed nuclear power plants. The POS plants were designed in the 60's and finished in the 70's. The last new reactor in the USA was 2016. Before that, 1997. All of the technical problems are behind us. The new ones could reuse the stored nuclear fuel. https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/5...France%2C%20do.
EXACTLY! Abundant clean energy to charge your electric vehicle and fuel an industrial economy? What a concept.

I'm reminded of this gem (ignore the politics):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfC_-Ub9lRM

Old 06-09-2022, 02:45 PM

369 posts, read 271,544 times
Default This isn't about nuclear.

Quote:
You're only at the helm of your own finances. As much as we can dream, none of us can control the oil companies or build more nuclear reactors.

I asked the same questions before about what are people doing to ease the pain at the pump and some of the answers I got were -
I'll buy electric when they put a gun to my head.

I'm not slowing down to save gas.

One dude who admitted he drives a big truck even shifted the blame on me by saying I should spend more money on myself so I won't be a single girl.

Old 06-09-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
EXACTLY! Abundant clean energy to charge your electric vehicle and fuel an industrial economy? What a concept.
re: the video. As an aggregate here in the USA, 60% of electricity comes from burning fossil fuels. Some towns and plants are at 100% fossil fuels while others are at 0% (100% renewable) like Aspen https://www.cityofaspen.com/1202/Ren...landfill%20gas).

Therefore, to understand how "green" you are for buying your EV, you need to understand the company that you plug your car into. For instance, SRP in AZ uses 80% of fossil fuels. Not exactly "green". https://www.srpnet.com/environment/s...020-goals.aspx

Old 06-09-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
You're only at the helm of your own finances. As much as we can dream, none of us can control the oil companies or build more nuclear reactors.

I asked the same questions before about what are people doing to ease the pain at the pump and some of the answers I got were -
I'll buy electric when they put a gun to my head.

I'm not slowing down to save gas.

One dude who admitted he drives a big truck even shifted the blame on me by saying I should spend more money on myself so I won't be a single girl.
I get 22 city MPG on my car. I drive about 18,000 miles a year and that includes both cars. If gas goes up to $10 a gallon, I am still not going to buy a crackerjack box. I want some metal wrapped around me. YMMV (pun intended).

Old 06-10-2022, 05:16 AM

39,125 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Quote:
re: the video. As an aggregate here in the USA, 60% of electricity comes from burning fossil fuels. Some towns and plants are at 100% fossil fuels while others are at 0% (100% renewable) like Aspen https://www.cityofaspen.com/1202/Ren...landfill%20gas).

Therefore, to understand how "green" you are for buying your EV, you need to understand the company that you plug your car into. For instance, SRP in AZ uses 80% of fossil fuels. Not exactly "green". https://www.srpnet.com/environment/s...020-goals.aspx
You also have to consider that EVs are three or more times efficient than gasoline vehicles. An EV converts about 75% of input energy into motive force at the wheels while a gasoline vehicle converts maybe 25% max. So even though it would take fossil fuels to generate the electric (ignoring the likelihood that renewables will be a bigger share going forward), EVs will use far less of that fossil fuel derived energy to get around than even the most efficient internal combustion engines.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:29 AM

78,734 posts, read 60,939,328 times
Here are the profit margins by quarter if anyone wants to inform themselves.

3rd row from bottom net profit margin.

https://csimarket.com/Industry/indus...os.php?ind=602

The main driver is high oil prices which in turn is used to make gasoline.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:36 AM

78,734 posts, read 60,939,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Trucking gas all the way up to Flagstaff would be more expensive normally their prices are 30-50 cents higher then Phoenix.
Did my post answer your original question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area