Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2022, 10:03 AM

4,510 posts, read 4,635,747 times

Advertisements

I would guess the majority of Phoenix has roots in the Midwest. When I was in Phoenix, it felt like the Midwest. Phoenix is like a Midwestern town, such as Peoria, Des Moines and Indianapolis only it's out west and in the desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 10:16 AM

249 posts, read 166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Global Citizen View Post
Yes. Night and Day from Boston.

The best life you can live in Boston can be realized in parts of Philly, NY, DC and Baltimore.

The best life in Phoenix/Scottsdale is unmatched anywhere in the country. They are different. They both possess superior beauty at their very best. People don't retire in Boston. People don't retire in San Francisco. For the most part, people retire in places where they offer the highest quality of life at their core.

PS - I went to grad school in Boston. I know the city well and am a huge fan.
People certainly retire in San Francisco and other urban areas. Not car dependent. Better healthcare. Just stay away from crummy areas.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I would guess the majority of Phoenix has roots in the Midwest. When I was in Phoenix, it felt like the Midwest. Phoenix is like a Midwestern town, such as Peoria, Des Moines and Indianapolis only it's out west and in the desert.
I disagree. The Midwest is outgoing and friendly. People tend to be way more introverted/socially awkward/shy here.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:35 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I disagree. The Midwest is outgoing and friendly. People tend to be way more introverted/socially awkward/shy here.

That has not been my experience at all in the last 20 years, otherwise I'd probably have no friends here. I'm pretty outdoorsy so maybe that makes a difference but I find most people interested in chatting it up if you strike up the conversation. They will not necessarily go out of their way to talk to you but if I say hi how's it going when I'm on a trail, at a sporting event, or other I usually get into a pretty lengthy chat about life. An easy one, where are you from?

Old 07-10-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
That has not been my experience at all in the last 20 years, otherwise I'd probably have no friends here. I'm pretty outdoorsy so maybe that makes a difference but I find most people interested in chatting it up if you strike up the conversation. They will not necessarily go out of their way to talk to you but if I say hi how's it going when I'm on a trail, at a sporting event, or other I usually get into a pretty lengthy chat about life. An easy one, where are you from?
You’re making my point. People here will rarely strike up a conversation and go out of their way to so much as say, “hey, how’s it going”. That is not the Midwest experience.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I don't know about most, but I'm certainly not one of them. I don't live right in midtown or downtown, but I'm close enough to commute to those locations fairly easily if I have to. Roosevelt Row is up & coming, but still not quite there yet. The last time I went through there (Roosevelt Street east of Central Avenue), it was a few short blocks of newer bars, restaurants, and midrise residences mixed with a few older buildings & "murals", but nothing too impressive. I certainly wouldn't call it the "be all, end all hip spot".

Who said it was the be all end all? It's walkable/interesting/non-chain oriented area of the valley. I do see an out of town visitor who loved the area and seemed pleasantly surprised by what it offers, you know why? Because it's pretty solid with interesting bars, locally owned food, art galleries, performing arts centers and most of everything you'd expect in an urban setting.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You’re making my point. People here will rarely strike up a conversation and go out of their way to so much as say, “hey, how’s it going”. That is not the Midwest experience.

My midwest big city experience has not been different than here, (Chicago, St Louis) but rural areas of both places I find people more talk-able. Maybe it's the pace of life?

Old 07-10-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
My midwest big city experience has not been different than here, (Chicago, St Louis) but rural areas of both places I find people more talk-able. Maybe it's the pace of life?
I don’t know. I’m specifically thinking Detroit, Milwaukee and Chicago. In my experience people are way more outgoing and apt to strike up a conversation with a stranger than people in Phoenix.

Old 07-10-2022, 01:04 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Definitely not Des Moines or Peoria, IL. Phoenix's metro population is nearly 6 times the size of Des Moines, and nearly 14 times the size of Peoria's. There's a Phoenix suburb called Peoria, and even that's larger than the Peoria in Illinois. Just because a fair amount of people have moved here from the Midwest doesn't mean Phoenix is anything like a Midwestern town. I noticed you didn't mention the largest city in that region (Chicago), and that's where a lot of our Midwestern transplants are from.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:16 PM

135 posts, read 125,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasudesu View Post
People certainly retire in San Francisco and other urban areas. Not car dependent. Better healthcare. Just stay away from crummy areas.
Not going back and forth on the small percentage of people who retire in SF. SF is currently experiencing a reverse migration. The people who retire in SF are not traditional American earners. To "retire" in SF you're going to spend $1.5m unless you live in a $800k 1BR condo. The average home in America is less than $250k. So do people retire in SF? Yes. You are correct. Are we pulling hairs to really act like people are retiring in SF? Yes. We are pulling hairs. SF is simply unattainable and unaffordable to 99.5% of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area