Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What frequent flyer program do you use
American Airlines AAdvantage 8 80.00%
Southwest Rapid Rewards 5 50.00%
Delta SkyMiles 4 40.00%
United MileagePlus 2 20.00%
Alaska MileagePlan 0 0%
Frontier Miles 0 0%
Spirit Free Spirt 0 0%
Allegiant Allways Rewards 1 10.00%
Air Canada Aeroplan 0 0%
Other (specify) 1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 08:24 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times

Advertisements

I would like to know how large are the different frequent flyer bases here in the Phoenix metro area for the different airlines. Which program(s) do you use?

OOPS, I forgot to include JetBlue TrueBlue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 10:00 AM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
I don't fly that much anymore, and try to stick with American or Delta when possible.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:09 AM

219 posts, read 177,141 times
I just signed up for Allegiant's card. It's not the most prestigious airline, but driving 5 minutes to the small Mesa Gateway Airport is a game changer for me. And they fly to some of the places I frequent.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:16 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
I use the big four domestic carriers, but I have much higher balances with Southwest and American because they have so many flights here. With United and Delta, I have accounts because there's no reason not to get some points when I fly, but my balances are usually quite small. I often end up redeeming them for magazine subscriptions because they don't accumulate to the level that would qualify for a free flight.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I use the big four domestic carriers, but I have much higher balances with Southwest and American because they have so many flights here. With United and Delta, I have accounts because there's no reason not to get some points when I fly, but my balances are usually quite small. I often end up redeeming them for magazine subscriptions because they don't accumulate to the level that would qualify for a free flight.
I have actually used Delta quite a bit in the past year including redeeming two award tickets, so don't underestimate the smaller carriers. I have credit cards with American and Delta and earn United with MileagePlus Dining with Rewards Network. If you want to boost miles with your smaller programs, you may want to check out the airline dining programs and/or online shopping portals rather than wasting them on magazine subscriptions. With the dining programs you can use any credit or Visa/MasterCard debit (except prepaid); no airline co-branded credit card is required.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:31 AM

63 posts, read 73,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post

OOPS, I forgot to include JetBlue TrueBlue.
That's the one I have, but I think I need Southwest based on how big it is at Sky Harbor!

Old 07-22-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsca View Post
That's the one I have, but I think I need Southwest based on how big it is at Sky Harbor!
Note that you can now redeem TrueBlue points on American Airlines flights with the American/JetBlue partnership. American is almost as large as Southwest here at PHX; they have at times been #1. I don't fly Southwest very often despite being a large carrier here, which is why I don't use their FF program much.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:03 AM

63 posts, read 73,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Note that you can now redeem TrueBlue points on American Airlines flights with the American/JetBlue partnership. American is almost as large as Southwest here at PHX; they have at times been #1. I don't fly Southwest very often despite being a large carrier here, which is why I don't use their FF program much.
THAT I did not know! That's super helpful - thanks for mentioning that!!

Old 07-22-2022, 05:52 PM

6,132 posts, read 3,355,504 times
I fly quite a bit, usually always on AA. They’ve done all right by me as far as I can tell. I was transiting Chicago a couple of months back, and anyone who has been to O’Hare understands the struggle of trying to get to the international terminal in time to catch a flight. Needless to say, I missed my flight by a few minutes, just couldn’t get through the rows of humanity in time. Luckily, there was another flight 6 hours later and AA rebooked me on that one, no problems at all. Except I got to sit in O’Hare an extra 6 hours, which wasn’t fun, but it was better than my 10 hour layover in JFK that I had to endure on another trip.

So what have I done with all those miles? Banked them mostly, but I did take a free trip to Memphis, of all places, to visit family, and then back to PHX. Never been there before, and to be honest, wasn’t that impressed, but that’s another story.

I also think Qatar Airways is one of the best airlines in the world, and their points transfer to AA. Also, British Air, which isn’t all that great, also transfers points to AA. I took the London to PHX flight a couple of times, because I liked the idea of a direct flight to PHX, but Heathrow is a trainwreck. I’m not even talking about the disaster that has been going on the past few weeks there as it has went from a trainwreck to a dumpster fire. Under no circumstances will I ever go through Heathrow again, unless I am terminating there. Frankfurt and Barcelona are much better transit airports than Heathrow.

As far as hotel awards, I usually always use Hyatt. Not because I think they are better, but it was because my company put me up in a Hyatt for 6 straight months when I was doing a “temporary” assignment that kept getting extended. That’s a lot of awards points, which is good, but hotel living for extended periods isn’t all that fun to be honest. But that’s how they “get you”. Once you have a substantial amount of points on one particular hotel, you start to book them in every city you work in or vacation in.

Old 07-22-2022, 06:40 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Don't fly so much these days so don't use the branded cards anymore. Switched to Venture and get 2 miles/cents/$ and I can use it on any airline AND pay for hotels, restaurants, anything in their pretty liberal travel category at full value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area