Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 10:26 PM

629 posts, read 410,834 times

Advertisements

Just a visitor who used to visit Phoenix regular on business. But I've Never had a disappointing meal at Durant's

But I never, ever, visited Phoenix without going to the Pink Pony in Scottsdale at least once. I'm almost devastated to learn that it is no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 10:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Mexican: Comedor Guadalajara; like Sumo Maya and Alma too

Overrated: Carolinas. They can’t even do an enchilada correctly

Steaks: I like Durant’s; had a great steak at Salt Cellar

Overrated: Modern Steak

Pizza: Barros for delivery

Overrated: Pizzeria Bianco

Breweries: Wren House and Tombstone for beer, OHSO and the Perch for patio, San Tan for food

Overrated: Four Peaks

I’ll think of others
What’s Modern Steak?

Old 08-04-2022, 06:35 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The Pointe at Tapatio Cliffs has two restaurants: one to avoid, and the other to definitely try. The last time I went to Pointe In Tyme, they were out of some of the most basic menu items, and the food quality just wasn't all that good. Different Pointe of View is the more expensive restaurant, and I'd say worth the price. Pretty spectacular views of the city, and the selections & quality are a few notches higher than Pointe In Tyme.

If we're talking about chain restaurants, stay away from Olive Garden unless you like cheap imitation Italian food. How they can even call themselves an Italian restaurant is beyond comprehension. The better chains are Longhorn Steakhouse, and Red Lobster ... although, I've found that Red Lobster has gone downhill on their service quality lately.
As far as chains go, Longhorn cannot be beaten for value. I cannot speak for all locations as I've only been to one location. In the Surprise location, the ambivalence and service outpunch their price point. That location is extremely well run. We ate there all the time. Their parmesan-crusted chicken (no shortage of salt), and asparagus combined with their strawberry salad was my go-to. My wife always got the steak and we shared.

You mentioned that you like Arrowhead Grill. Checkout https://prestonsscottsdale.com/ . It's North of the 101 off of Pima. It's the same owner. They have a killer happy hour in the bar. Always great service and killer steaks when you order them rare. Like Arrowhead Grill, it's exceptional though not a world-class steak. Nor is it priced like one. They have some great offers on their email list too. Personally, I like it better than the Mastro's down the block. Which I will call overrated, specifically for their price. It's the same caliber as Arrowhead Grill which is clearly the best steakhouse in the West Valley.

Since moving to the East side of town, I've only scratched the surface by trying out new restaurants as COVID slowed things down a lot. If you want an overrated meal, head out to the Four Seasons. they have a KILLER view, AMAZING service, and the food is meh. Amazing drinks (a mere $30 ea).

Old 08-04-2022, 08:47 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
As far as chains go, Longhorn cannot be beaten for value. I cannot speak for all locations as I've only been to one location. In the Surprise location, the ambivalence and service outpunch their price point. That location is extremely well run.
The closest Longhorn to me is Tatum & Cactus, which is a bit of a drive, but worth it. That location is also very well managed, and I always receive good service. Food quality is excellent for an affordable restaurant. It's no wonder the place is always packed. Surprisingly, Longhorn also has better quality salmon than my former favorite Red Lobster.

Quote:
You mentioned that you like Arrowhead Grill. Checkout https://prestonsscottsdale.com/ . It's North of the 101 off of Pima. It's the same owner. They have a killer happy hour in the bar. Always great service and killer steaks when you order them rare. Like Arrowhead Grill, it's exceptional though not a world-class steak. Nor is it priced like one. They have some great offers on their email list too. Personally, I like it better than the Mastro's down the block. Which I will call overrated, specifically for their price. It's the same caliber as Arrowhead Grill which is clearly the best steakhouse in the West Valley.
I'll have to try that other place if I'm ever in north Scottsdale. My sister & brother in law live in the Arrowhead area, and they once suggested Arrowhead Grill as a place they wanted to try when I visited them (they never had been there before). We all went one evening, and we were impressed by the service, as well as the food quality. The wait staff was very attentive & caring, despite how busy they were. Since then, I've been there a few times, and never was disappointed.

Quote:
If you want an overrated meal, head out to the Four Seasons. they have a KILLER view, AMAZING service, and the food is meh. Amazing drinks (a mere $30 ea).
I'll pass on that, thanks. The food has to be in the top notch range in order for me to spend big money like that. Also, I don't drink alcoholic beverages, so I just saved $30.
()

Old 08-04-2022, 09:01 PM

120 posts, read 132,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Needmore View Post
Just a visitor who used to visit Phoenix regular on business. But I've Never had a disappointing meal at Durant's

But I never, ever, visited Phoenix without going to the Pink Pony in Scottsdale at least once. I'm almost devastated to learn that it is no more.
I honestly don’t get the love for Durant’s at all. While I think it is good, I have had so much better steak in town and it is so overrated in my opinion.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexZaz. View Post
I honestly don’t get the love for Durant’s at all. While I think it is good, I have had so much better steak in town and it is so overrated in my opinion.
It’s because we have almost zero nostalgic, traditional, old school places so it’s unique. We are saturated with instagramable restaurants with mediocre food and a poorly trained, unprofessional staff. Too many places here care about being hip more than anything else. Durant’s is the antithesis of that.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post

Most overrated restaurant in the valley for me: In & Out Burger. Idk why everyone loves this place so much. Seems like any other fast food place to me.
It's the fries and shakes. They cut their potatoes in each restaurant versus a bag of frozen potatoes pre-cut. And their shakes are made with real ice cream.

Like a lot of chains, instead of raising their prices, In and Out thinned out their burgers. In order to actually get a burger that tastes decent (versus eating all bun and the fixings), you need to get the double-double. Anything smaller is meh at best. Or better yet, order it "animal style".

"If you order your burger "animal style," the beef patties will be cooked in mustard and come with all the aforementioned toppings, plus pickles and extra spread, and the onions will be grilled."

https://www.insider.com/every-in-n-o...-be-grilled-23

Old 08-05-2022, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
It’s because we have almost zero nostalgic, traditional, old school places so it’s unique. We are saturated with instagramable restaurants with mediocre food and a poorly trained, unprofessional staff. Too many places here care about being hip more than anything else. Durant’s is the antithesis of that.
That phrase hit me. WTF is wrong with people?! I just got back from Cabo and I was people-watching and noticed a popular trend. I was in disbelief as to how many people were trying to make their lives worth something to others. One lady in her late 30's was on our catamaran "sunset cruise" and taking videos and pictures of herself...... For over an hour. As in, planting her arse on the mesh up front with her phone camera rolling. She was angling her head to get her fake eyelashes in the perfect light and background. I was 10 feet from her and I was acosaionally shaking my head when I say myself in the camera background. After she was done, she was going through hundreds of videos and photos to pretend she was having this amazing experience. Maybe she noticed my head shaking? lol Cut, paste, repeat as I watched dozens of people strike a fake pre-thought-out pose. There are some shallow people out there!

Another memorable person was sitting on the beach trying to catch the right wave with the Waldorf Astoria hotel view behind her (no chance he stayed there) for a solid 30 minutes as we walked the beach!? By the way, the Waldorf in Cabo has A-caliber service and food. An unforgettable experience. And that beach. Wow! No vendors pimping to buy some Chinese trinkets either. Check it out for breakfast of dinner at the Waldorf. It won't disappoint. I digress...

Anyways, I googled "instagramable restaurants" and there are a dozen or more lists. It seems like a lot of people have self-esteem issues. https://bigseventravel.com/most-inst...-in-the-world/

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 08-05-2022 at 05:27 AM..

Old 08-05-2022, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

I'll pass on that, thanks. The food has to be in the top notch range in order for me to spend big money like that. Also, I don't drink alcoholic beverages, so I just saved $30.
()
Actually, you saved close to $40. $30 plus $3 tax plus a $6 tip ($39). Gulp (pun intended)! I saw a few tables talk with their sommelier. I'm sure $200-$500+ bottle of wine were flowing. I love a good bottle of wine. I'll spend $40 on a $60 bottle. But not $200 on that same bottle that I could pay $40. The Ritz completely died down after sunset even on a weekend with perfect weather. That means people were only willing to pay for the sunset and not the food.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:39 PM

48 posts, read 46,236 times
Quote:
It's the fries and shakes.
I really like In-n-Out, but the fries are the weak link. They're great right out of the fryer but once they cool off (and they do so really fast since they're so thin), they're mush.

IMO, of course. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area