Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 06:01 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,483 times

Advertisements

Here's another one to try: Phở Thành Restaurant on Camelback & 17th Ave. Really good and authentic Vietnamese food & Pho. Tried it for the first time yesterday and was very impressed. Lots of pics of the place & the food in the google link below:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jsJdobYkTiozmR159
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 08:25 AM

6,105 posts, read 2,731,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
Here's another one to try: Phở Thành Restaurant on Camelback & 17th Ave. Really good and authentic Vietnamese food & Pho. Tried it for the first time yesterday and was very impressed. Lots of pics of the place & the food in the google link below:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jsJdobYkTiozmR159
That is my favorite Vietnamese place been going there for over a decade. I always get the number 14 with egg rolls.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:35 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,348,840 times
Chain - Buca di Beppo
Local - Vito's Pizza and Italian Ristorante

Old 08-10-2022, 04:25 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,911,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I haven't ever heard anyone suggest that Compass was a good restaurant, it's always been about the view/experience. Durant's is a personal favorite, I'm sure that there are better steaks elsewhere but I love the atmosphere. As a fan of gourmet pizza I would put Cibo and Forno 301 amongst the most overrated.
Getting pizza at Forno 301 is a huge mistake as they have some of the best pasta dishes I've ever eaten.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Chain - Buca di Beppo
Local - Vito's Pizza and Italian Ristorante
Someone just told me about Vito's so it's on deck for this weekend.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Cocina Madigral is the best restaurant in Phoenix IMO

Most overrated: Cold beer and cheeseburgers
I've eaten at cocina a dozen times, and while it's certainly good, I absolutely don't get the hype or the fact that their parking lot is packed by 5 PM each day. I think it may reflect that the food scene in Phoenix is absolutely laughable and when a place opens that is above average the locals lose their minds. When I moved here EVERYONE raved about Durant's, and while the service and atmosphere we're exceptional, it was by far the least impressive steak house food I'd ever had. It's almost as if the people of Phoenix have never experienced world class fine dining and accept anything that isn't horrible, which continues the trend of the bad food scene here. Why put out a top notch product when average will be a raving success? Try putting out some of this food elsewhere and you wouldn't last three months.

I will say that there is some great food here, but you're not going to find it in a nice restaurant for the most part.

To answer the question though,

My favorite is Forno 301, for the pasta

It's hard to choose a most over rated, as most seem to be on some level, but I'll say Durant's.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:51 PM

120 posts, read 132,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I've eaten at cocina a dozen times, and while it's certainly good, I absolutely don't get the hype or the fact that their parking lot is packed by 5 PM each day. I think it may reflect that the food scene in Phoenix is absolutely laughable and when a place opens that is above average the locals lose their minds. When I moved here EVERYONE raved about Durant's, and while the service and atmosphere we're exceptional, it was by far the least impressive steak house food I'd ever had. It's almost as if the people of Phoenix have never experienced world class fine dining and accept anything that isn't horrible, which continues the trend of the bad food scene here. Why put out a top notch product when average will be a raving success? Try putting out some of this food elsewhere and you wouldn't last three months.

I will say that there is some great food here, but you're not going to find it in a nice restaurant for the most part.

To answer the question though,

My favorite is Forno 301, for the pasta

It's hard to choose a most over rated, as most seem to be on some level, but I'll say Durant's.
Yeah I agree with the Durant’s opinion, try Tarbells. Best steak in town.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:15 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
When I moved here EVERYONE raved about Durant's, and while the service and atmosphere we're exceptional, it was by far the least impressive steak house food I'd ever had. It's almost as if the people of Phoenix have never experienced world class fine dining and accept anything that isn't horrible, which continues the trend of the bad food scene here.
My thoughts exactly about Durant's. The raving mainly revolves around its place in Phoenix history. It's a classic old school type of atmosphere. I expect more than just the dining atmosphere. It's important, but the food & service quality take precedence. Durant's is far from horrible, but certainly not high quality enough to be raved about like it is. Very over rated! There are many other steak oriented restaurants which are a notch or two above Durant's.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:19 PM

120 posts, read 132,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
My thoughts exactly about Durant's. The raving mainly revolves around its place in Phoenix history. It's a classic old school type of atmosphere. I expect more than just the dining atmosphere. It's important, but the food & service quality take precedence. Durant's is far from horrible, but certainly not high quality enough to be raved about like it is. Very over rated! There are many other steak oriented restaurants which are a notch or two above Durant's.
I 100% agree with your opinion. If it was just a regular restaurant, not as many people would be raving about it.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:53 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,348,840 times
BTW, for those who dine a lot, you may want to check out Rewards Network. They have several programs where you can link your credit or debit card and earn airline miles or hotel points. On the downside, you cannot link the same card to more than one program. I mostly use the one for United MileagePlus since I don't have a United MileagePlus credit card (I have American and Delta).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area