Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 12:37 PM

784 posts, read 928,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Thank you! I appreciate that! I'm actually 64 and retired 3 yrs ago.
And, a wise man once told me it's later than you think.
So are you fully retired or do you have something on the side?

I employ a few "retirees" as after a year or so they need something to do and compared to todays workers they are freaking geniuses....lol.....I don't see myself ever retiring as I 100% enjoy what I do....well I do take the weekends off...

With this inflation what percentage of retires in Phoenix do you think have had to return to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 02:31 PM

2,043 posts, read 907,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post

I employ a few "retirees" as after a year or so they need something to do and compared to todays workers they are freaking geniuses....lol.....I don't see myself ever retiring as I 100% enjoy what I do....well I do take the weekends off...

With this inflation what percentage of retires in Phoenix do you think have had to return to work?
Yep, fully retired. But, you are correct about needing something to do. I'm busy trying to move to Arizona right now, but that will change. I wasn't bored until covid lock down. I was traveling all the time and that's how I found Arizona. I bought a beautiful lot during covid, and started building in the middle of supply chain problems.
A 90 day construction loan application turned into 7 months. I started the build using my banked cash during application, but started sweating after a couple of hundred grand into the project, and no construction loan. Put my house up for sale on the eastcoast a month ago, it sold with multiple offers in 13 days. The first week the house was for sale, construction loan finally approved. Lol I'll be in Arizona at the end of the month in a rental so I can oversee the project. I've got about 6 months to go before completion. And, I have all the cash from sale of home to cover build. I did lose sleep over this one. But I do have a steady income coming in regardless.

Regarding retirees having to return to work, they shouldn't If they planned correctly. I took my stock market money and cashed in and put it in an annuity. I knew if I lost it, I didn't have the time at my age to get it back. And, I have a pension. The pension and annuity give me enough cash to do what I want. I'm happy!

I've had people tell me I'm lucky, but luck has nothing to do with it. Proper planning has everything to do with it.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:57 PM

Fantastic......we are making the move ourselves the 1st of October.

I'm really not going to miss the winters....lol

Old 09-04-2022, 06:27 AM

2,043 posts, read 907,698 times
Quote:
Fantastic......we are making the move ourselves the 1st of October.

I'm really not going to miss the winters....lol
No, I won't miss the winters neither. Good luck on your move!

Old 09-04-2022, 06:34 AM

9,914 posts, read 11,323,359 times
Quote:

I'm in the same boat. I love what I do. So long as I can be an order-taker and make more money than I need for (IMO) barely working, why not? I get to work with incredibly accomplished people. Like CEO's, physicians (some "famous"), business owners, and accomplished people inside of their field. Nearly all are technical (EE, CE, ME, etc) and 99.9% male. As a quick example, I have a customer who is a top person at the FBI, economists at the World Bank as well as the FED, land developers in Manhattan, former CEO's of several household company names, director of engineering at _______ company, etc, etc, etc. As you might guess, the conversations are fascinating. Now my wife gets the burden of some paperwork and she despises it while missing out on those interesting conversations. She has about 5-7 hours a week of paperwork and two 40 hours weeks at tax time. She wants to retire now! Especially after seeing neighbors that have unplugged and the perception of a carefree life. But they paid their dues by working their life away for decades while we have been coasting for a decade.

To your point with the 40% loss of net worth (inflation). Without a gravy 100% pension like a CA police, I don't feel comfortable retiring anyways. I felt much better two short years ago. Lately, I've been hearing a few people changing their tune about "going back to work if the ideal gig came up", etc. They don't explain why, but I think inflation and the market have everything to do with it.

I like to compare notes as to what the magical number in assets is to retire. Of course, it heavily depends on your age until social security and medicare kick in and if you have a worthy pension. Pre-inflation, I would put the number at around $2.5M and no pension of social security. As in, everything is paid for and you have $2.5M as the minimum point. And you aren't renting. So you are blowing $100K of your savings per year waiting for your pension or social security to kick in. That amount assumes you cash in the retirement funds that you haven't paid your taxes on yet. Because you need to convert that number to an after-tax amount. Because of inflation, I think we need to bump that up by 40% now or closer to $3.5M. Now there is "retirement" (existing) and retirement (living at the same standards). One definition is penny-pinching while the other is taking 1st class vacations, and doing what you want to do while you are working. If you just want to exist, well, millions are living off of their social security staring at their TV and "retired". No thanks. I have some friends who are convinced the number is $6M+. I guess they plan on living to their fullest until age 100 or they want to spend like drunken sailors. I digress...

Back to the topic at hand. Read what Tom Ruff has to say about the ultra-fast PHX housing correction here https://armls.com/docs/2022-July-STAT.pdf In 8 short months, the PHX housing market has radically changed. It's interesting to hear him talk about how little people knew during the Great Recession. And how now, there is an abundant amount of data.

John Wake posted about all of this data as follows:
"We have zillions more data but prices went up even faster this time.

Apparently, more information allowed more herding, imitation, inertia, irrational exuberance, momentum, over-extrapolation of past price trends, and their feedback loops."

I think he is right. Groupthink is a powerful phenomenon. I assume if the masses assume PHX area home pricing is going to drop, that can accelerate things in the other direction too.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 09-04-2022 at 06:44 AM..

Old 09-04-2022, 11:22 AM

249 posts, read 169,764 times
The house I have been watching finally went pending after 120 days at $890K. Came down from $1240K. This clears out the similar house my family will be putting up within a month.

btw my husband and I are both federal retirees retired young. We live on our pension (his is more as I am on different pension system), social security and rental incomes. Our homes are fullly paid and we do not touch our investments much. But, we do not want to take this with us so trying to enjoy our life together while we can. I do not think we can spend it all. Our one family will get much of it with lots going to good causes first. His income is so high that when all said and done, our portion going to him will seem small in twenty years or so.

Last edited by Nasudesu; 09-04-2022 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-04-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Back to the topic at hand. Read what Tom Ruff has to say about the ultra-fast PHX housing correction here https://armls.com/docs/2022-July-STAT.pdf In 8 short months, the PHX housing market has radically changed. It's interesting to hear him talk about how little people knew during the Great Recession. And how now, there is an abundant amount of data.

John Wake posted about all of this data as follows:
"We have zillions more data but prices went up even faster this time.

Apparently, more information allowed more herding, imitation, inertia, irrational exuberance, momentum, over-extrapolation of past price trends, and their feedback loops."

I think he is right. Groupthink is a powerful phenomenon. I assume if the masses assume PHX area home pricing is going to drop, that can accelerate things in the other direction too.
That is a very nice and comprehensive report put out by Tom Ruff.......thanks for sharing.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasudesu View Post
The house I have been watching finally went pending after 120 days at $890K. Came down from $1240K. This clears out the similar house my family will be putting up within a month.

btw my husband and I are both federal retirees retired young. We live on our pension (his is more as I am on different pension system), social security and rental incomes. Our homes are fullly paid and we do not touch our investments much. But, we do not want to take this with us so trying to enjoy our life together while we can. I do not think we can spend it all. Our one family will get much of it with lots going to good causes first. His income is so high that when all said and done, our portion going to him will seem small in twenty years or so.
Congrats. That much be a great feeling (the two highlighted topics)!

Is the $890K home in PHX area or in the Bay Area? What town?

Old 09-04-2022, 12:18 PM

Some more info from John Wake. August sale values were just announced. We dropped $10K per month (x3 months in a row). The slope is still pointing downward. If it continues until November, we will be back down to what it was about a year ago. Again, there are many markets. What's going on in Fountain Hills (holding up pretty well and a seller's market) is going to be a lot different than in Buckeye (clearly a buyer's market).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu_ISkbRf_A

Old 09-04-2022, 01:23 PM

249 posts, read 169,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Congrats. That much be a great feeling (the two highlighted topics)!

Is the $890K home in PHX area or in the Bay Area? What town?
Thank you. Chandler. He accepted a position with UCI Health. I have lived in Tucson in my youth as a military brat so I’ve always liked AZ and my husband spent his summer in Bullhead City so he also care for AZ. He is actually sad we will not be visiting AZ as often who knows we may still buy a smaller place to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area