Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 07:04 AM

249 posts, read 168,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Historically, markets go up, markets go down. That's part of the game. I would be concerned of not being in the game regardless of the inning or the score of the game.
I am with you on that. Have been in it for over 40 years and up, down, sideways are to be expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 10:20 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,309,934 times
Quote:
Historically, markets go up, markets go down. That's part of the game. I would be concerned of not being in the game regardless of the inning or the score of the game.
jda doesn't seem like an "investor" he seems to be one that just rides the wave when things are going up and gets out when things seem scary. An investor can make money in an up or down market. He may be surprised I've profited in the stock market this year by being a trader and not just a "buy and hold" investor. I've also made money in real estate when the market was flat or declining, not just when prices are climbing quickly. Anyone with a couple bucks can do the latter. Seems odd to be on here bragging about the money they've made when all they've really done is gone along for the ride.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:37 AM

9,868 posts, read 11,263,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
jda doesn't seem like an "investor" he seems to be one that just rides the wave when things are going up and gets out when things seem scary. An investor can make money in an up or down market. He may be surprised I've profited in the stock market this year by being a trader and not just a "buy and hold" investor. I've also made money in real estate when the market was flat or declining, not just when prices are climbing quickly. Anyone with a couple bucks can do the latter. Seems odd to be on here bragging about the money they've made when all they've really done is gone along for the ride.
If you want to make money in the stock market, do the opposite of what I would do. My paranoia has cost me a bundle. I've lectured my kids not to do what I did. Rather, do what John Bogle recommends. At this point in life, I'm too close to retirement and I still feel that paranoia. As in, I cannot screw up if I keep up with my (flawed) approach. I've always focused on making and saving money. I have also made a bit of $$'s with flipping some properties on the water as well as renting out my toys by the week. Now, I would rather work less and play it safe. I don't want to rent out my properties any longer either. I'm just busy playing it safe.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:58 AM

2,036 posts, read 894,653 times
Quote:
It takes money to make money. We all know that. It doesn't matter if one goes along for the ride. At least they are on the ride. It's the fence sitters that start negative topics gloating when stocks are down or when housing takes a dump that are the losers. I myself like long term Investments. I may not be rich, but Im retired at 61and I'm very comfortable. I'm building a nice home in a gated community in Southern Arizona, it will be completely paid for, and I have enough income that I don't need to invest anymore, but just live off the fat. I guess it all depends on one's comfort zone.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If you want to make money in the stock market, do the opposite of what I would do. My paranoia has cost me a bundle. I've lectured my kids not to do what I did. Rather, do what John Bogle recommends. At this point in life, I'm too close to retirement and I still feel that paranoia. As in, I cannot screw up if I keep up with my (flawed) approach. I've always focused on making and saving money. I have also made a bit of $$'s with flipping some properties on the water as well as renting out my toys by the week. Now, I would rather work less and play it safe. I don't want to rent out my properties any longer either. I'm just busy playing it safe.
I'm certainly no expert either, but I've been in the market since I was 18 and I'm turning 48 later this year so I have some experience. I'm a gambler at heart and admittedly have made some really bad trades and also hit some home runs. The home runs flow more regularly with experience.

We have the standard 401Ks (wife maxes out), rollover 401Ks and a self employed 401K that I currently fund for myself. We also have a lot of ETFs and Mut Funds that are in taxable accounts. These are the "buy and hold" funds. In addition to that I have funds used for actively trading individual stocks and crypto and usually shorter term trades. There's money to be made when a market bounces around like it has been. Putting the money in cash and trying to time you re-entrance at the perfect time in possibly years from now is never the solution if you're in wealth building phase. You're in wealth preservation phase which I probably will be too in 10 years.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:32 AM

9,868 posts, read 11,263,473 times
Quote:
It takes money to make money. We all know that. It doesn't matter if one goes along for the ride. At least they are on the ride. It's the fence sitters that start negative topics gloating when stocks are down or when housing takes a dump that are the losers. I myself like long term Investments. I may not be rich, but Im retired at 61and I'm very comfortable. I'm building a nice home in a gated community in Southern Arizona, it will be completely paid for, and I have enough income that I don't need to invest anymore, but just live off the fat. I guess it all depends on one's comfort zone.
Congratulations on being 61 years old and feeling comfortable unplugging. Kudos! You are in the severe minority.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:36 AM

14,030 posts, read 8,188,523 times
Quote:
To be fair Jda believes (based on what he's studied) he can predict with reasonable certainty where the Phx metro housing market will be several years from now.

If he's correct and the housing market does crash in a similar fashion (2008) well... he's going to clean up.

Personally, I don't see a lot of similarities between 2005 and today.

But time will tell.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
To be fair Jda believes (based on what he's studied) he can predict with reasonable certainty where the Phx metro housing market will be several years from now.

If he's correct and the housing market does crash in a similar fashion (2008) well... he's going to clean up.

Personally, I don't see a lot of similarities between 2005 and today.

But time will tell.
I think you and I both predicted a decline and have not bought more properties because the market seemed inflated and deals were few and far between. And we agree it won't fall by 57% like in 2008 for a number of factors mentioned in previous threads. We are both ready to purchase properties when what we perceive as "deals" present themselves. The only difference between us and Jda is that he doesn't have any rental income and he's gloating about the money he made and that everyone else is not

Old 09-02-2022, 12:00 PM

2,036 posts, read 894,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Congratulations on being 61 years old and feeling comfortable unplugging. Kudos! You are in the severe minority.
Thank you! I appreciate that! I'm actually 64 and retired 3 yrs ago.
And, a wise man once told me it's later than you think.

Old 09-03-2022, 12:27 PM

784 posts, read 926,800 times
Quote:
I think you and I both predicted a decline and have not bought more properties because the market seemed inflated and deals were few and far between. And we agree it won't fall by 57% like in 2008 for a number of factors mentioned in previous threads. We are both ready to purchase properties when what we perceive as "deals" present themselves. The only difference between us and Jda is that he doesn't have any rental income and he's gloating about the money he made and that everyone else is not
I never said I didn't have rental income nor did I say I didn't have investments......just because I liquidated our stock holdings don't mean I don't have investments......

We sold some property's that we bought from 2012-2019 is all......to set aside some cash for when the buying opportunity is going to take place.

I bet there is more people that wished they had gotten out of the market when I did verses those that didn't....if not today they will by quarter 2 in 2023.

One of my close friends confided to me that he has already down $500k with his stock holdings and asked me what I think he should do....the answer is if you need the money in the next 5 years....if you don't need the money for 5 years then hold pat as the market always comes back....what we don't know is how long it is going to take this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area