U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 01:55 AM

32 posts, read 179,874 times

Advertisements

I am tired of California and am ready to pack up for the southwest. When I visited Phoenix I was impressed with all the amenities and the people seem pretty nice, BUT I am very worried about the extreme summers. Therefore I have been looking at other options in the southwest such as the ABQ/Santa Fe New Mexico area, mainly because of the great weather. Everyone in the New Mexico forum have told me to move to ABQ, I was just interested in what people would say in the Phoenix forum? So I guess in a nutshell, Phoenix vs ABQ/Santa Fe. (P.S. dont be fooled by my screen name, I have not made my mind up yet.) Thanx for the replies
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 05:05 AM

3,995 posts, read 9,632,818 times
New Mexico? You do realize the entire state of New Mexico is sparsely populated and Albuquerque has seen a spike in crime where as Phoenix's crime rate has dropped? Phoenix used to be the 2nd in the nation for auto theft. But after 2 years of public awareness campaigns, increased enforcement, and new technology, the Phoenix Metro area has dropped to the 8th spot; replaced by Modesto, Albuquerque/Santa Fe, and the like. As for the Heat, I lived all over the world (my father was in the Army) and haven't lived in Phoenix very long. I lived in the Seattle area for the longest stretch of any other place and can say that the heat in Phoenix is for real. It gets hot, but not unbearable. Most people don't spend much time outside, just standing in the sun, when the sun is most intense anyhow July through mid-September. Just drink lots of water and you'll be fine. There are much hotter, and cities with relatively similar temps with much larger populations. Look at cities in Morocco, the middle east (Dubai), and Europe (Athens) and you will see that people thrive in cities with a few months of heat.

Interesting Fact: Phoenix's hottest temperature ever recorded was 122 (6/26/90) at Sky Harbor Int'l Airport observation station. Hottest temperature ever recorded in downtown Phoenix...away from a fully paved area with thousands of acres of tarmac...114 degrees (6/26/90). These temperature readings are from the same day, as I noted. Coldest temperature recorded in Phoenix...12 (1963).
Average Weather for Phoenix, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation

Last edited by fcorrales80; 05-31-2008 at 05:47 AM..

Old 05-31-2008, 05:20 AM

Some other things to consider:

Population of New Mexico (2006): 1,954,599
Population of Arizona (2005): 6,166,318

Alburqueque Median Income: $37,838, per capita income $17,261
Phoenix Median Income: $51,862, per capita income $36,275
US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/011342.html - broken link)

Persons below poverty level in Alb. 13.5%
Persons below poverty level in Phx. 10.2%, in Maricopa county (including Indian reservations) 13.3%

And for comparison to other metro areas:
Houstons persons below poverty level 19.2%, Chicago's 19.6%, and Seattle's 11.8%

Old 05-31-2008, 06:35 AM

37,519 posts, read 47,851,424 times
I worked in northern NM for a couple years after college and have a fondness for ABQ and the area. I think ABQ is much more like Tucson than like Phoenix. Both places have more hispanic people and influence than PHX does for one thing, the pace is slower and temps are lower, the job situation not as good, the freeway system is woefully inadequate, and there is a big mountain right on the doorstep. Phoenix emulates LA more with growth, freeways, entertainment, sports, eateries, resorts, golf etc that the other places just don't compare to. ABQ, PHX, and TUC all have a third world quality to them with huge contrasts between the good parts of town and the bad parts of town. But ABQ and TUC to a lesser extent have oversized populations of poor people that push up crime stats but don't necessarily make it an unsafe place to live.

As for Santa Fe, it's a cute little place that like Sedona in AZ has been turned into a commercialized caricature of what it once was (maybe I am just envious). SFe is colder than a witches you know what in the winter (so is ABQ for that matter), though, and I wouldn't want to deal with that.

Anyhow, I guess I'd encourage you to look into Tucson if you are attracted to ABQ. They have a lot in common with Tucson having a little more polish on the apple.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I worked in northern NM for a couple years after college and have a fondness for ABQ and the area. I think ABQ is much more like Tucson than like Phoenix. Both places have more hispanic people and influence than PHX does for one thing, the pace is slower and temps are lower, the job situation not as good, the freeway system is woefully inadequate, and there is a big mountain right on the doorstep. Phoenix emulates LA more with growth, freeways, entertainment, sports, eateries, resorts, golf etc that the other places just don't compare to. ABQ, PHX, and TUC all have a third world quality to them with huge contrasts between the good parts of town and the bad parts of town. But ABQ and TUC to a lesser extent have oversized populations of poor people that push up crime stats but don't necessarily make it an unsafe place to live.

As for Santa Fe, it's a cute little place that like Sedona in AZ has been turned into a commercialized caricature of what it once was (maybe I am just envious). SFe is colder than a witches you know what in the winter (so is ABQ for that matter), though, and I wouldn't want to deal with that.

Anyhow, I guess I'd encourage you to look into Tucson if you are attracted to ABQ. They have a lot in common with Tucson having a little more polish on the apple.
What? Alb has more Hispanic people than Phoenix? The hispanic population of metro Phoenix is greater than the entire population of the Albuquerue metro area. Hispanics in Phx metro: 763,341...Alb metro population: 712,738. And much of the same goes for Tucson. Tucson is 35.7% Hispanic and Phoenix is 34.1% Hispanic, Albuquerque is 39.9% Hispanic, no profound difference. And more cultural influence in Alb and Tucson? Being Hispanic I can say that is not true. I'm sure many anglos would also concur that hispanic culture and influences are EVERYWHERE in Phoenix.

There is no "third world quality" aspects to Phoenix. That statement is utterly false as I pointed out in my census bereau figures which show metro Phoenix has one of the lowest percentage of population living in poverty. The poverty in Phoenix is also different from the poverty in cities like Alb, Chicago, New Orleans, New York, Phily and the like in which the income of the improverished is much lower than that of those in Phoenix. There are older areas that could use some landscaping, but third world?

I think you are just making things up in your head.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 05-31-2008 at 06:58 AM..

Old 05-31-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
What? Alb has more Hispanic people than Phoenix? The hispanic population of metro Phoenix is greater than the entire population of the Albuquerue metro area. Hispanics in Phx metro: 763,341...Alb metro population: 712,738. And much of the same goes for Tucson. Tucson is 35.7% Hispanic and Phoenix is 34.1% Hispanic, Albuquerque is 39.9% Hispanic, no profound difference. And more cultural influence in Alb and Tucson? Being Hispanic I can say that is not true. I'm sure many anglos would also concur that hispanic culture and influences are EVERYWHERE in Phoenix.

There is no "third world quality" aspects to Phoenix. That statement is utterly false as I pointed out in my census bereau figures which show metro Phoenix has one of the lowest percentage of population living in poverty. The poverty in Phoenix is also different from the poverty in cities like Alb, Chicago, New Orleans, New York, Phily and the like in which the income of the improverished is much lower than that of those in Phoenix. There are older areas that could use some landscaping, but third world?

I think you are just making things up in your head.
When I say third world I mean there is a strong bi-modal distribution of income (know what that means?). I'm not talking about landscaping. I suggest you take a drive over to 15th Avenue and Buckeye and tell me there is no third world quality here. Then take a trip to Guadalupe followed by a run over to Cashion if you even know where these places are. You can also tour the vast expanse of Maryvale. This city is very much a city of haves and have-nots despite your impressions after being here for a couple weeks. Also, anyone who does not think that ABQ and TUC have more hispanic influence than PHX is blind, dumb or ignorant or all of them. The percentages may be similar but hispanic families have had a much greater role historically in the development and management of both ABQ and TUC than in Phoenix where things were run for years by Mormon pioneers and the lily-white upper class. The people who came to Phoenix in the recent immigration rush have no political or economic power so their percentages are meaningless.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 05-31-2008 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 AM

32 posts, read 179,874 times
Thanks for the helpful replies. I have just one more question though......about how much money in utilities would I be paying for air in the middle of the summer? Lets say for a one bedroom apartment.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
When I say third world I mean there is a strong bi-modal distribution of income (know what that means?). I'm not talking about landscaping. I suggest you take a drive over to 15th Avenue and Buckeye and tell me there is no third world quality here. Then take a trip to Guadalupe followed by a run over to Cashion if you even know where these places are. You can also tour the vast expanse of Maryvale. This city is very much a city of haves and have-nots despite your impressions after being here for a couple weeks. Also, anyone who does not think that ABQ and TUC have more hispanic influence than PHX is blind, dumb or ignorant or all of them. The percentages may be similar but hispanic families have had a much greater role historically in the development and management of both ABQ and TUC than in Phoenix where things were run for years by Mormon pioneers and the lily-white upper class. The people who came to Phoenix in the recent immigration rush have no political or economic power so their percentages are meaningless.

Yes I know what you are trying to say, but Phoenix is a very middle class-up middle class city as the pe capita income distribution will tell you. Alb is actually a very, VERY strong bi-modial income distributed metro area. All you trivilizations are opinions. Most of my family is from Arizona and I've lived here a year, gone to those neghborhoods you've mentioned and have seen far worse in other cities. As I mentioned, if someone's main concern was landscape in these poor neighborhoods, they would look much better. You are so wrong, sir its not even funny. Stick to what you know, which is nothing about Phoenix.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Yes I know what you are trying to say, but Phoenix is a very middle class-up middle class city as the pe capita income distribution will tell you. Alb is actually a very, VERY strong bi-modial income distributed metro area. All you trivilizations are opinions. Most of my family is from Arizona and I've lived here a year, gone to those neghborhoods you've mentioned and have seen far worse in other cities. As I mentioned, if someone's main concern was landscape in these poor neighborhoods, they would look much better. You are so wrong, sir its not even funny. Stick to what you know, which is nothing about Phoenix.
Well, it's my 35 years here versus your 1 year, but who's counting? Anyway, my purpose was not to argue with you, but to opine to the OP that if there is something about Albuquerque that appeals to him, he ought to take a look at Tucson too as Tucson has more in common with Albuquerque than Phoenix has with Albuquerque. I don't care if you agree or not. I have lived in all three cities at one time or another (for more than one year too) and that is my take on things.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Well, it's my 35 years here versus your 1 year, but who's counting? Anyway, my purpose was not to argue with you, but to opine to the OP that if there is something about Albuquerque that appeals to him, he ought to take a look at Tucson too as Tucson has more in common with Albuquerque than Phoenix has with Albuquerque. I don't care if you agree or not. I have lived in all three cities at one time or another (for more than one year too) and that is my take on things.

When you try to state opinion as FACT, and are wrong, then it warrants a correction. And I don't really think it matters how long you've lived here...if you want to use that as a measuring stick, my grandmother was born here in 1921 and has lived here all her life. She also has been to New Mexico, as at one time some of our family lived there. If she knew how to opine on this forum, she would tell you that you are still wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area