Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 PM

258 posts, read 1,505,099 times

Advertisements

I need some local help and advice. I'm a 26 year old single male looking to move to the Phoenix area. I've never spent anytime in the area, I've only flown through there a couple of times. One of my best friends lives in Mesa which is why I'm thinking of moving there. This is why I need the real truth about Phoenix and what I can expect if I do move. From what I've read on this fourm and heard these are the cons: traffic, illegal immigrants, heat(but I like heat, I used to live in south florida which to my understanding is much more humid and miserable), overcrowded. And the pros to my knowledge are: good location (close to LV, SD, LA), lots of companies (ie jobs), nice weather.

Is this pretty accurate of what to expect from Phoenix? What else are some things I should know and consider before I move? Is Phoenix a good place for someone young looking for work? I'm also very outdoor oriented and would like there to be plenty of outdoor recreation. One other thing, whats the best way for someone new to Phoenix to go about job searching?

Last edited by SiddharthaGautama; 06-01-2008 at 02:17 PM..

Old 06-01-2008, 01:29 PM

93 posts, read 339,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california??? View Post
I need some local help and advice. I'm a 26 year old single male looking to move to the Phoenix area. I've never spent anytime in the area, I've only flown through there a couple of times. One of my best friends lives in Mesa which is why I'm thinking of moving there. This is why I need the real truth about Phoenix and what I can expect if I do move. From what I've read on this fourm and heard these are the cons: traffic, illegal immigrants, heat(but I like heat, I used to live in south florida which to my understanding is much more humid and miserable), overcrowded. And the pros to my knowledge are: good location (close to LV, SD, LA), lots of companies (ie jobs), nice weather.

Is this pretty accurate of what to expect from Phoenix? What else are some things I should know and consider before I move? Is Phoenix a good place for someone young looking for work? I'm also very outdoor oriented and would like there to be plenty of outdoor recreation.
Sounds like PHX would be a good fit, although Mesa is not the best place to live, IMO. Look through the forum for more info about different areas. generally cost and culture decreases towards the edge of town, and you get what you pay for usually. Depending on your industry, jobs are pretty decent, especially in tech, services and healthcare (and construction when we're not in a housing crisis). The heat makes Miami feel like Anchorage because the humidity is MUCH lower, and traffic is better than Miami too. Immigration is a national issue, and not really especially problematic here compared to Miami, LA, Chicago, and other places I've been. As for outdoors, this is the place to be. Hot in the summer, but 1-2 hours form countless ways to cool off. The rest of the year it's an outdoor paradise.

I feel like a tourism brochure, but really this is a decent place for someone your age and with your interests.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:30 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california??? View Post

Is this pretty accurate of what to expect from Phoenix? What else are some things I should know and consider before I move? Is Phoenix a good place for someone young looking for work? I'm also very outdoor oriented and would like there to be plenty of outdoor recreation.

It's good in terms of outdoor recreation, at least most of the year, and one of the major cons, as you point out, is the heat. It's also very sprawling and lacks character (specific neighborhoods, etc.), which makes it a bit difficult to be single here - there's fewer "hangouts" for young people, and they're sprawled out, so it doesn't have the density and chances of meeting others in the same area, as, say, Chicago. Also, some would argue that the jobs here, though plentiful, are largely in the service sector, and that the major hiring companies are elsewhere - places like Seattle.

That said, I don't think traffic is as bad as people report - it's bad everywhere, not just Phoenix - and illegal immigrants, though certainly a problem, are not as huge a factor as people make it out to be. The big pros to the city are that it does have outdoor recreation and an interesting environment. The big cons are the heat and sprawl, and I don't know if it's the best place to be single.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I lived in Central Florida, around Vero Beach, for 4 years/5 summers and I think the heat here is harder to take than there. There, you get some breaks in the summer, maybe not long ones, but I didn't feel it's as oppressive or as unrelenting as the heat is here. And, alot of nights cooled down a little to give you a break.I lived in the humid NE, too, but the summers didn't bother me. The heat out here is hard to explain to anyone, but then some people don't seem to mind it.
I don't know about the sense of community for most people, but I don't feel it's strong here. Just my opinion. You can get it through the right job/neighborhood/friends, though, but you might have to work on it and find the right combination for yourself.
Everything has it's upside and downside, but it mostly depends on what your priorities are and what you value most in an area to live.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:19 AM

87 posts, read 298,545 times
For a young person like yourself, the Phoenix area may be a good fit, but you should consider some things before leaping.
The Heat - People who come from humid areas always think the Phoenix heat isn't that bad..... until they'be been here awhile. As pointed out previously, it's relentless. In the urban areas it no longer really cools down at night, so it's hot 24/7. Life tends to be "indoors" from May to October. Yes, it lasts that long, we're not talking about a few days over 100, we're talking half of the year.
The Rain - Actually, the lack of rain. In Florida you have probably seen 5 and 6 inch rain storms... Well, that's our rain for the whole year. The monsoon season that I'm sure you've heard of, has turned into mostly wind and dust the last few years.
Outdoor Activity - Depends on your favored outdoor event. There are loads of expensive golf courses. There are a half dozen reservoirs scattered around the state, some of which you can boat and fish on. But if your looking for rivers, streams, and creeks to throw a line on, there are basically none. You can drive North for a couple hours and ski (sometimes) in the winter. Mountain climbing is of course abundant.. but not in the summer.. unless you enjoy burned hands, arms, and legs.
Job Opportunity - This one really depends on your occupation. There are lots of service and medical jobs, some high tech, but few manufacturing. The construction business has of course been the life blood of the area in the past, but right now it's in a down turn, like everywhere.
Best Advise - Spend a month in August, and check it all out, realizing that the temp won't improve much until Holloween.
Good luck if you decide to take the plunge.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:25 AM

36 posts, read 65,508 times
Hello there

If I were you, I would consider living in Peoria or Glendale. They both seem safe (as far as crime statistics go). Also, getting a 100k home with a swimming pool is possible! I've seen documentary's that the illegals are coming into Az, Ca, etc. by the car load, so that always concerns me. Another down side is not only the traffic, but the smog! Search for pictures of the 'smog in phoenix'.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:16 PM

87 posts, read 298,545 times
Don't count on that $100K home with pool, unless your willing to pick up a foreclosure that will need LOTS of work (=money). Old Slim has lived in the NW Phoenix Metro for over half a century, and in Glendale for the last 14 years. Property is pretty much a gamble right now. Due to some high foreclosure rates in many areas the prices are down, but then again that may cause the neighborhoods to deteriorate as many will be picked up for rentals. If I was moving into the area today, I think I'd rent until the real estate market becomes clearer. But yes, much of the NW Valley is nice. You just have to be careful and be able to read the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatyourvegetables View Post
Hello there

If I were you, I would consider living in Peoria or Glendale. They both seem safe (as far as crime statistics go). Also, getting a 100k home with a swimming pool is possible! I've seen documentary's that the illegals are coming into Az, Ca, etc. by the car load, so that always concerns me. Another down side is not only the traffic, but the smog! Search for pictures of the 'smog in phoenix'.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:27 PM

10,063 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddharthaGautama View Post

Is this pretty accurate of what to expect from Phoenix? What else are some things I should know and consider before I move? Is Phoenix a good place for someone young looking for work? I'm also very outdoor oriented and would like there to be plenty of outdoor recreation. One other thing, whats the best way for someone new to Phoenix to go about job searching?
Most of Phoenix and the surrounding suburbs is new (built in the past 20 years), so it is rather different from a lot of cities in the US that haven't grown as quickly as it has. A few pointers:
*Mesa is not for the single 20 or 30 something....it is a large fast-growing suburb, but stale and devoid of most culture and has a ton of cookie-cutter subdivisions.
*I'd suggest Tempe or Scottsdale/Paradise Valley or Phoenix to live in.
*Do not buy a black car--white is key. Also, buy a dashboard "sun reflector" and place it on your steering wheel. The temp can hit 180 degrees + on some surfaces during 115 degree sun!
*The desert is eerily quiet on very hot days. Most everyone is inside. It's kind of a peaceful beauty though. The heat is NOTHING like humid heat. It's scorching but think "bathroom dryer hot" and not "sauna hot"
*Lots of outdoor activities near Phoenix for you to do. You'll love that part.
*Mexico is so close--as is Vegas and the Grand Canyon.
*Watch out for scorpions in your shoes and kitchen drawers! (especially in newer subdivisions!)

Good luck!!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:37 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Do not buy a black car--white is key.
Most of the advice above is great, but I'll dissent on this point. When it's really hot outside, the temperature of your car is going to get really high no matter what. I'm now on my third "blackout" car (black exterior + black interior) and I don't find it much worse that lighter colored vehicles.

I think it's more important to use a windshield shade, park in garages when available, and have your windows tinted to the legal maximum. To me, white cars are like beige houses. They're a boring Arizona cliche that we have too much of. Stand out from the crowd and drive the color of car that most appeals to you.

Last edited by exit2lef; 06-02-2008 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 01:45 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Most of the advice above is great, but I'll dissent on this point. When it's really hot outside, the temperature of your car is going to get really high no matter what. I'm now on my third "blackout" car (black exterior + black interior) and I don't find it much worse that lighter colored vehicles.

I think it's more important to use a windshield shade, use garages when available, and have your windows tinted to the legal maximum. To me, white cars are like beige houses. They're a boring Arizona cliche that we have too much of. Stand out from the crowd and drive the color of car that most appeals to you.
I agree on car colors. I have white car (truck) and it looks like a refrigerator on wheels. I got it because my last one was black and it was constantly dirty - dust, water spots and everything was visible on it. I can't remember the last time I washed my white truck and it always looks clean at least from a few feet away. It seems counter-intuitive that white cars would look cleaner even when covered with dust and road grime. My experience is that both were equally hot, the color didn't really matter much at all. But I hate washing cars and would rather put up with ugly, boring white than deal with constant dirt - I even used the California duster thing and it still looked dusty ten minutes later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area