U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 09:22 PM

191 posts, read 530,214 times

Advertisements

Hello. My hubby/I are considering buying a home in the rural area of Chandler, or Tempe. How far is the rural area from Tempe Marketplace? How about Chandler Fashion Center?
We want to be in a country setting yet close to dining, shopping and entertainment. Do those areas exist in Chandler or Tempe? Thanks.

GG
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 10:52 AM

56 posts, read 181,946 times
There isn't really rural property to be had in either Tempe or Chandler.

Tempe is the most urbanized city in the state. The best you'd be able to do would be a county island or property in either Buena Vista Ranches off of Warner between Rural and McClintock or Calle de Caballos off of McClintock just north of Warner or Circle G Ranches south of Warner between McClintock and Price/101, and those are expensive neighborhoods. From there it would be 6-7 miles to Tempe Marketplace and 3-4 to Chandler Fashion Center.

Chandler used to be farms but by far the vast majority of the farms have been turned into housing developments. I can only think of a couple of places where you'd get a quarter-acre of land (there are some custom horse properties off of Arizona Avenue north of Elliot, and a county island north of Elliot between Price and Dobson.) Those are also likely to be fairly pricy.

I really recommend downloading Google Earth (it's free) and looking at an aerial map of the area.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:26 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,488,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherman View Post
Hello. My hubby/I are considering buying a home in the rural area of Chandler, or Tempe. How far is the rural area from Tempe Marketplace? How about Chandler Fashion Center?
We want to be in a country setting yet close to dining, shopping and entertainment. Do those areas exist in Chandler or Tempe? Thanks.

GG
What do you define as rural? There is no rural land left in Tempe (it's surrounded by Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler, and Gilbert). There are some homes in Gilbert and Chandler that are on acre lots but not very many and it's not a very popular option to do.

You can buy farms in the area if you have several million - but I assume you don't otherwise you'd be talking with a real estate agent and not us.

As someone else said, the Phoenix in general is not rural. A large farm is subdivided into very small lots. It's difficult or impossible to buy 10-20 acre lots (which I consider rural) and suprisingly hard to find 1 acre or 2 acre lots (which I consider to be a urban form a rural living).

You can check out the Cave Creek area, which is north. There are more larger parcels up there.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 PM

190 posts, read 549,221 times
Maybe 15 years ago, Chandler had some rural areas with some dairy farms and orange groves but all of that has been cleared away in exchange for suburban sprawl. There is no rural area of Chandler or Tempe. If you are seeking that type of environment, I would consider moving to Colorado or even northern California (if you can afford it).

Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 PM

79 posts, read 372,549 times
As the others have already said, if you are looking for really rural, you will be disappointed. While the southernmost fringe of Chandler might still appear a little rural, this will be gone in a few years. New developments are appearing by the minute. The islands that were mentioned here before probably will go the same way once the real estate market picks up and people realize they can make tons of money with the land where their horses used to be.
The area South of Tempe and Chandler is partly Indian reservation, therefore it is very rural but you cannot live there unless you are a member of the tribe. To be in a really rural area you would have to look into the direction of Florence. But even for this still rural area, experts predict urbanization within the next 30 years. What happened in places that now are called Maricopa or Arizona City is a foretaste of what might happen to all the land between the Valley and Tucson.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:18 AM

191 posts, read 581,179 times
Default Rural areas

In Chandler there are still some areas that are fairly rural but with the new 202 highway they are minutes from shopping and the Chandler Mall. New shopping centers are going in all along the 202, so that what was once farmland is now a shopping mecca.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:25 AM

20 posts, read 95,321 times
GSherman,

I second the google earth idea! There are some county islands between Warner and Elliot and Kyrene and Price. Also try the county islands near the 101 and Warner toward Dobson (but you can hear a bit of freeway noise there) and also south of the 202.

We moved to Chandler back when the sheep still roamed the fields next to most developments - we really miss that setting!

HEY! I just remembered . . . one of the old Wolfswinkle estates (on 10 acres) north of Ray on Kyrene is for sale! ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>