Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Sco Sco started this thread

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times

Advertisements

I have decided to buy a house in the Phoenix area and need some opinions on an area. Based mainly on proximity to work and the advice of a few realtors, I am looking at the area of Phoenix roughly bounded by 40th St to 64th St and from Cactus to Bell in zip codes 85032 and 85254. What does everyone think about this area?

I am looking for about 2000 sq ft on a large lot - 10K+ with no HOA and a price range of 400-550K. I have found a lot of homes that fit the bill and the area looks good, but I wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 02:21 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Forget about anything west of 42nd street. I grew up in the area of 44th street between the PV MAll and Thunderbird rd, which is a good area. Personally I'd stay more north of greenway and east of 56th street. I just like that area better. But there are some exceptions. I like 56th street and Thunderbird as well. Just drive around and get a feel of what you like. Overall, the NE Phx, N. Scottsdale area is really great! Your price range is perfect for what you're looking for. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Sco Sco started this thread

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Is something around 43rd/44th St & Greenway OK, or should I look farther east? Do the neighborhoods get dicey as they approach 42nd/40th? It is so hard to tell sometimes, areas go from good to bad in only a few blocks.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:30 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
No, 44th st and Greenway is a good area - some really nice homes really. Yes, it gets more dicey over at 40/42nd st - more rundown. Some streets are not as great as others, but overall the whole area is good to great.

Like I said, I grew up in this general area which was about 21 years of my life and then I went to work delivering for Domino's for 5 years in this whole area that you are asking about. So, I know just about every street there is, except now it's been several years.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:25 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
This is a really nice area of town. I live at Scottsdale & Princess (I think Scottsdale Rd is about 70th or 71st, and intersects Greenway just about 2 miles down the street from me).

On Greenway, once you pass the 51 at about 32nd you start seeing a real change in the surroundings. Older, less well kept, bars on the windows. ;-) Tho there is a pretty cool Indian restaurant at 32nd & Greenway my sister takes me to which has good food.

Cactus & Tatum is Paradise Valley Mall area. The change down there gets real apparent once you get west of 42nd. Not "ghetto" or anything but you definitely know you are not in a higher end of town anymore.

The area you define would be ok. The closer to Tatum (Tatum is north/south and intersects both Greenway and Cactus) or further east you can get the better. I think, sablebaby, Tatum is 48th right-I know you told me on another post the last few days but the mind is the first thing to go lol!

Look in 85254 or 85054. 85254 is Scottsdale, parts of which are geographically Phoenix. 85054 is right adjacent to 85254 and is Phoenix, parts of which are geographically Scottsdale. ;-)

Not exactly sure where you work but you could expand your boundary north to Deer Valley (Desert Ridge) and south to Shea (Shee parallels Cactus as an East/West almost exactly 1 mile south of Cactus) or even a little further south. The whole commute from Deer Valley to Shea to give you an idea would still be only like 5-6 miles or so.

Good luck in your hunt!

Old 03-14-2008, 10:30 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
I think your price range is right on target for many homes in this area. Not all-some will be more expensive but there are a lot that will fit your range. My sister is at 52nd & Greenway and I know her house would be in your range at the higher end, similar square footage and NO HOA! ;-)

Large lots are not exceptionally common at that price range tho in this area at least that I have seen. You will get a decent size lot, but not "large".

Old 04-24-2008, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 11,762 times
There are nice homes in 85302, although there are pockets of rough areas too. Mainly the section just west of PV Mall.... You'll see a better return on your investment if you get into 85254... There really isn't a bad area in that whole zip. Yes the homes are older, but most are solidly built block homes on big lots.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:57 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I have decided to buy a house in the Phoenix area and need some opinions on an area. Based mainly on proximity to work and the advice of a few realtors, I am looking at the area of Phoenix roughly bounded by 40th St to 64th St and from Cactus to Bell in zip codes 85032 and 85254. What does everyone think about this area?

I am looking for about 2000 sq ft on a large lot - 10K+ with no HOA and a price range of 400-550K. I have found a lot of homes that fit the bill and the area looks good, but I wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks
Good area. I live about 2 miles from Kierland. 85254 is a Scottsdale mailing address with Phoenix city services, FWIW. I'd try to stay more on the east side if I were you, IOW, 64th street. The closer you get to Scottsdale Road and east, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: