Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,345 times

Advertisements

Planning to buy a home in Waterston community on Chandler Heights and Val Vista in Gilbert but I noticed that there is a cow farm/dairy just nearby to Waterston community. Do I need to be concerned about this dairy or cow smell which may exist in this area.

Need some suggestions.

Thanks
Sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 03:21 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Absolutely. Your land used to be a dairy as well I think by the same family. The other dairy you are referencing is slated to be a large Gilbert park, which means development could be several years away. You would probably smell the dairy if the winds shift and come in from the East.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:02 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The other dairy you are referencing is slated to be a large Gilbert park, which means development could be several years away.
Gilbert is currently building an enormous regional park just the the east, between Greenfield and Higley Roads. I'm surprised to hear the city plans on putting another large park so close by?

Old 11-18-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Gilbert is currently building an enormous regional park just the the east, between Greenfield and Higley Roads. I'm surprised to hear the city plans on putting another large park so close by?
I think this was back when they bought that Zinke land for a HUGE about of money without an appraisal to make sure they had land for sufficient park development in South Gilbert. Coincidentally, the City of Chandler has a large city park planned almost across the street from this location just a bit further South next to Basha HS. If the Gilbert land switched to residential zoning, that dairy would be gonzo within a year.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:23 PM

848 posts, read 966,559 times
Checked the map for some perspective. Ok, so this isn't the same dairy smell from the northwestern side of that southeast corner of where loop 202 curves around by 24? Just how many dairy farms were there.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Checked the map for some perspective. Ok, so this isn't the same dairy smell from the northwestern side of that southeast corner of where loop 202 curves around by 24? Just how many dairy farms were there.
I think the one you're talking about is in Mesa and nowhere near the dairy the OP is talking about. The one in Mesa is in the process of being developed into Hawes Crossing. Not sure if the cows have been removed yet though.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I think this was back when they bought that Zinke land for a HUGE about of money without an appraisal to make sure they had land for sufficient park development in South Gilbert. Coincidentally, the City of Chandler has a large city park planned almost across the street from this location just a bit further South next to Basha HS. If the Gilbert land switched to residential zoning, that dairy would be gonzo within a year.
Thanks for the info.

I have no idea what the city has planned for the land that the dairy is on. It just seems odd that it would be made into a park. I looked up the stats on the park I mentioned above. It will be 272 acres once completed, which is three times the size of Freestone Park's developed area!

Old 11-18-2021, 04:55 PM

Thanks members. Dairy which I am referring is Zenke Dairy (1805 E Chandler Heights Road, Gilbert -85298) and I dont think park will be built here based on my research at gilbert.gov.

Happy to get further feedback.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:14 PM

Also is there a way I can check on gilbert.gov website regarding the future plan on this dairy?

Old 11-19-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapapexperts View Post
Happy to get further feedback.
We live about one mile from that dairy. We get "cow odors" at our house on occasion. There's been a small number of days when the odor has been objectionable to the point I'll not sit outside... maybe 5-10 days total since we bought the house in 2012. I'm guessing it takes just the right atmospheric conditions for this to occur. It's got to be more than just the wind direction. It's not been an issue that concerns me, but we are farther from the dairy than the homes you are looking at.

I have no idea what is planned for that property, or when the cows might be gone. If you don't want to ever experience barnyard smells I'll suggest looking elsewhere. To my knowledge there are not many of these dairies left in the East Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area