Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:27 AM

92 posts, read 349,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
What do you all think of the new gas price that was posted today? Im sure most are close, but $4.09 was at a circle k. Indian school and 16th st to be exact.

I'm not freaking out, i drive a motorcycle. My only thought on this, is where is the innovation at? Are we don't inventing great things? Are we stuck driving cars, with combustible motors, for another 100 years?

Another note. Places like Japan pay about $70 for 13 gallons. While we pay about $53.17 for 13 gallons.

It's getting there, but it's not there, yet.
Here in Orange County, CA we are paying $4.39 - $4.51 a gallon for regular gas and that was on Wednesday June 4th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 10:12 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,465,745 times
In an amazing coincidence, my employer moved me to a new office building last week. The new building is located along a major arterial street served by two Valley Metro routes. My old worksite was 3/4 of a mile down a dusty street with no sidewalks from the nearest bus stop. So, using my employer-provided bus card, I'm now riding the bus to and from work 3 or 4 days a week and driving the car only on days when I have off-site meetings. The bus is sometimes slow and crowded, but it's free. That's a lot better than $4 per gallon. A lot of employers provide Valley Metro bus cards to their employees for free or a reduced fee. It's something to look into.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:30 AM

54 posts, read 152,744 times
I live in upstate New York and one gas staion hot $4.29 today!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:38 AM

1,195 posts, read 5,415,505 times
Public transit is not free, you pay in your taxes.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:40 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Unlike freeways, of course.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Just as we pay for roads with our taxes. The truth is that all modes of transportion are subsidized to a high degree. The more relevant issues are 1) which modes of transportation are the most efficient and beneficial use of public funds 2) which mode of transportation is most efficient and economical for each commuter.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:42 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,956,679 times
Quote:
Yes, but it doesn't cost you anything additional (if you work is paying for the ticket) like gasonline does.

Speaking of which...I've got a question here. While I'm a big supporter of public transit, is there really much savings vs driving? I'm not debating the effects to the environment or anything like that, just money.

How much is a bus ticket, $2.50 per day right? With RAPID bus tickets going for $3.50. So that would buy you anywhere between 2/3 - 7/8 of a gallon of gas. Depending on the car you drive, say you drive something that gets around 25 MPG...you could drive ~17 miles - ~22 miles on the same amount of money. So...it really only becomes beneficial money wise if your work is more then 10 miles from your house (which of course is very common) but even then you have to look at only the difference, which may be only $1-$2 per day above the cost of taking the bus.

Of course, if you buy a month long bus pass, you're savings quite a bit more ($45 pass unlimited rides per month) or if your work provides free/reduces passes, then it's a whole different story.

Last edited by HX_Guy; 06-05-2008 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-05-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Yes, but it doesn't cost you anything additional (if you work is paying for the ticket) like gasonline does.
Sort of -- It has a cost in terms of time and convenience. A commute that takes me 25 minutes by car takes me 50 minutes via bus. I can live with that tradeoff; some can't. Regardless, a lot of employers offer free or discounted bus cards but don't publicize the program very much. My main point in posting was to make others aware that their employers may offer a similar program.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Speaking of which...I've got a question here. While I'm a big supporter of public transit, is there really much savings vs driving? I'm not debating the effects to the environment or anything like that, just money.

How much is a bus ticket, $2.50 per day right? With RAPID bus tickets going for $3.50. So that would buy you anywhere between 2/3 - 7/8 of a gallon of gas. Depending on the car you drive, say you drive something that gets around 25 MPG...you could drive ~17 miles - ~22 miles on the same amount of money. So...it really only becomes beneficial money wise if your work is more then 10 miles from your house (which of course is very common) but even then you have to look at only the difference, which may be only $1-$2 per day above the cost of taking the bus.

Of course, if you buy a month long bus pass, you're savings quite a bit more ($45 pass unlimited rides per month) or if your work provides free/reduces passes, then it's a whole different story.
Good point here. If I had to pay my own bus fare, I'd definitely save money, but probably not enough to make me a hard-core bus rider until gas reaches $5 per gallon and the savings become more dramatic. As you mention, though, the savings become much more substantial with a monthly pass, especially if covered, in full or in part, by an employer.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,027,136 times
Quote:

I think a bus, and future light rail ticket will cost $1.25, not $2.50 and depending on your work situation, a month pass generally costs around 30-35 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area