Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 PM

824 posts, read 2,327,787 times

Advertisements

Researching per capita breast enhancement rates is an unusual hobby. But to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:40 PM

3,995 posts, read 9,981,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Researching per capita breast enhancement rates is an unusual hobby. But to each his own.
Being gay, not a big part of my worries, but since everyone was making such a big deal about it, I just had to look it up, and I love facts instead of stereotypes myself.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:53 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,571,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Actually Scottsdale is one of America's fittest cities, where people work out and do outdoor activities more than anything else. Maybe you are just jealous of people who take care of themselves. Here's some info to digest about plastic surgery:

Top 10 'Vainest Cities,' according to Forbes:
1. Salt Lake City
2. San Francisco
3. San Diego
3. San Jose, CA
3. Miami
6. Louisville, KY
6. Nashville, TN
8. Virginia Beach
8. New York City
8. Los Angeles

Salt Lake City Is Nation's Most 'Vain' City

I wouldn't call people who get plastic surgery, including implants "taking care of themselves." To the contrary, people who get these type of procedures get them because they feel insecure and the need, psychologically speaking to undergo these risky/invasive procedures (which do have many potential risks) in order to satisfy society's standards and probably men like yourself who are trying to install these values into women. (Exception--for real health problems, post-mastectomy, etc.. or substancial deformities or severe problems that affect self-esteem, these people may truly need surgeries).
The reason I mentioned it is almost nearly every thread about Scottsdale includes this comment. I wondered why.
As far as accusing someone that comments on something about being "insecure"--maybe you are projecting this from your own point of view.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 06-10-2008 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-10-2008, 12:56 PM

824 posts, read 2,327,787 times
Quote:
"but since everyone was making such a big deal about it, I just had to look it up, and I love facts instead of stereotypes myself."
Just teasing. Google is a great tool.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I wouldn't call people who get plastic surgery, including implants "taking care of themselves." To the contrary, people who get these type of procedures get them because they feel insecure and the need, psychologically speaking to undergo these risky/invasive procedures (which do have many potential risks) in order to satisfy society's standards and probably men like yourself who are trying to install these values into women. (Exception--for real health problems, post-mastectomy, etc.. or substancial deformities or severe problems that affect self-esteem, these people may truly need surgeries).
The reason I mentioned it is almost nearly every thread about Scottsdale includes this comment. I wondered why.
As far as accusing someone that comments on something about being "insecure"--maybe you are projecting this from your own point of view.
Actually, what I was stating, is that most people in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Tempe look good because we take care of ourselves, run, hike, wear sunscreen, stay active INSTEAD of getting plastic surgery. That was the point of posting the cities with the most plastic surgery per capita. Phoenix/Scottsdale are nowhere near the top and that says alot given that much smaller cities rate much higher. My point was, why do you care what other people do to their bodies and that you shouldn't rush to jugdement as I do not. Just because a women, or man, has great features and sometimes have a great lifting bra...doesn't mean they have fake body parts or plastic, botox injected skin. Just worry about your own body instead of passing unnecessary judgement.

Oh and I don't particularily pay attention to women's bodies, since that's not my thing.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:35 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,141,925 times
as with most of these polls the science behind it is pretty weak

Quote:
Salt Lake City's high physician-to-resident ratio might be influenced by the University of Utah School of Medicine, which offers residencies in plastic and reconstructive surgery.
so yeah - because they train plastic surgeons they are the most vain - regardless that there are many types of plastic surgery that are medically necessary that go beyond a face lift and boob job

it would be much better to look at # of procedures or a specific procedure - however I don't see that out there

Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
as with most of these polls the science behind it is pretty weak

so yeah - because they train plastic surgeons they are the most vain - regardless that there are many types of plastic surgery that are medically necessary that go beyond a face lift and boob job

it would be much better to look at # of procedures or a specific procedure - however I don't see that out there
That was part of their methodology, read the article again.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:46 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,141,925 times
Quote:
While it is not known how many surgeries performed were cosmetic -- and how many were reconstructive -- the magazine used a common estimate that cosmetic procedures account for roughly 66 percent of all plastic surgeries.
from the actual forbes article

Quote:
We obtained the number of plastic surgeons in each city from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, a membership organization that represents about 90% of all plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. While plastic surgeons often practice without certification from the ABPS--and therefore were excluded from our data
of course they don't provide the full data or weights - but surgeons per capita was definitely one of them and SLC ranked #1 here which could skew it - places like nashville also ranged high in part due to having a program with a smallish population

also looking at money spent on products is a bit insane - what is a skin care product? - if someone in a very dry climate buys lotion it's vanity?!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
from the actual forbes article

of course they don't provide the full data or weights - but surgeons per capita was definitely one of them and SLC ranked #1 here which could skew it - places like nashville also ranged high in part due to having a program with a smallish population

also looking at money spent on products is a bit insane - what is a skin care product? - if someone in a very dry climate buys lotion it's vanity?!
What is your gripe? It seems pretty simple to me, but then again I work with statisticians. I don't think lotion would be considered but anti-aging, anti-wrinkle, etc. would. Its really not that complicated.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:31 AM

190 posts, read 569,677 times
I know many would prefer to see you move to Downtown because they want to see young people like yourself move there and help it develop. I can't say that I don't share their sentiments, but the truth is Scottsdale is far more developed and downtown still has a long way to go. I think downtown could be a lot of fun though. If you have an adventurous side, I think downtown could be fun especially during games. ASU has increased its presence there but I think it's about 2 years away before there are enough students to really give it that young urban feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area