Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 AM
 
190 posts, read 569,619 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Actually, what I was stating, is that most people in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Tempe look good because we take care of ourselves, run, hike, wear sunscreen, stay active INSTEAD of getting plastic surgery. That was the point of posting the cities with the most plastic surgery per capita. Phoenix/Scottsdale are nowhere near the top and that says alot given that much smaller cities rate much higher. My point was, why do you care what other people do to their bodies and that you shouldn't rush to jugdement as I do not. Just because a women, or man, has great features and sometimes have a great lifting bra...doesn't mean they have fake body parts or plastic, botox injected skin. Just worry about your own body instead of passing unnecessary judgement.

Oh and I don't particularily pay attention to women's bodies, since that's not my thing.
I agree with your response. I know many people respond in a glib fashion regarding the health and beauty of Phoenix residents saying something along the lines of "They are only beautiful because they get a lot of plastic surgery" As someone who practices medicine in this field and works with surgeons, I can assure you that most of the patients (both men and women) who undergo these procedures are in excellent physical shape and dedicate their time to keeping in excellent health. They are looking for ways to enhance their beauty. If you want to argue they are narcisistic and mentally challenged, that would be a more plausible argument.

The culture of the Phoenix metropolitan area is materialistic and narcisistic and thus people do make an effort to look good which also includes dressing well. I don't see how anyone could dispute this point considering a joke about the valley concerns the 30 thousand dollar millionaire comment which refers to the idea that people spend money they don't have on trying to compete with the wealthy. People who don't have money spend money on their appearance both in regards to clothes, surgery and gym memberships. I know so many people in the valley who earn less than 30K per year yet have breast implants and wear $1000 designer purses. They live in apartments but accept payment plans for their surgery and spend their disposable income on their clothes.

I think the reason Phoenix doesn't finish in the top 10 in the healthiest city rankings is because we also have our fair share of overweight and obese people. This is why Tucson always ranks in the top 10 in terms of healthiest cities but if you live in Tucson, you would never get the idea that people are as obsessed with their looks as people living in the valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2008, 12:42 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,995 posts, read 9,979,580 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
I know many would prefer to see you move to Downtown because they want to see young people like yourself move there and help it develop. I can't say that I don't share their sentiments, but the truth is Scottsdale is far more developed and downtown still has a long way to go. I think downtown could be a lot of fun though. If you have an adventurous side, I think downtown could be fun especially during games. ASU has increased its presence there but I think it's about 2 years away before there are enough students to really give it that young urban feel.
I have to agree here some. Old Town is an established area, diverse and densely populated and very developed. Downtown is still under construction and sometimes it gets a bit annoying for those who do not like constant road blockages for huge trucks to get through with steel girders and the like. There is a lot of development and if you aren't willing to deal with that, Old Town is better. However, there is much more "scene" variety in downtown. There is the art scene (Lost Leaf, Carly's, //w\\, and the bars on Roosevelt, 5th Street, McKinley), gay scene (Amsterdam, Malibu, Miami, Fate, DNT) and the rest in downtown (too many to name). It just depends on what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2008, 12:49 AM
 
4,250 posts, read 10,421,669 times
Reputation: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
What is your gripe? It seems pretty simple to me, but then again I work with statisticians. I don't think lotion would be considered but anti-aging, anti-wrinkle, etc. would. Its really not that complicated.
OMG, some of this is so silly and I am not directing criticism at you, per se. I am just jumping in. Who cares if someone has cosmetic surgery or not? If one has the money to do it and the result is that someone feels better for having done it, why not? I've used anti-aging, anti-wrinkle products my whole life and look pretty darn good for it, if I don't say so. I also avoid the sun like the plague. I also live in Scottsdale, so what?

To the OP's point, I think that Scottsdale does have some nice attributes (I live here), but I am not a fan of all this hype surrounding it. I live here because it's quiet and safe and pretty. If I were young I'd live closer to the artsy (if it exists in this giant suburb) areas, which might be down around Encanto Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2008, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,995 posts, read 9,979,580 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
I agree with your response. I know many people respond in a glib fashion regarding the health and beauty of Phoenix residents saying something along the lines of "They are only beautiful because they get a lot of plastic surgery" As someone who practices medicine in this field and works with surgeons, I can assure you that most of the patients (both men and women) who undergo these procedures are in excellent physical shape and dedicate their time to keeping in excellent health. They are looking for ways to enhance their beauty. If you want to argue they are narcisistic and mentally challenged, that would be a more plausible argument.

The culture of the Phoenix metropolitan area is materialistic and narcisistic and thus people do make an effort to look good which also includes dressing well. I don't see how anyone could dispute this point considering a joke about the valley concerns the 30 thousand dollar millionaire comment which refers to the idea that people spend money they don't have on trying to compete with the wealthy. People who don't have money spend money on their appearance both in regards to clothes, surgery and gym memberships. I know so many people in the valley who earn less than 30K per year yet have breast implants and wear $1000 designer purses. They live in apartments but accept payment plans for their surgery and spend their disposable income on their clothes.
I agree more with your post. Even though I personally do not know anyone who has gotten any procedure done, I'm sure they are out there of course. But for those that just work out because they don't want to get fat...I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all. I am 27 and have tons of friends and those that I just associate with and none of us between the ages of 21 to my "oldest" friend who is 41 has gotten any work done.

We do however keep ourselves in shape so our clothes look good on us. However, while some of us do vary in materialistic thing, the majority of use don't act like we are too good to shop at Target for t-shirts and shorts. So while I will admit that I love to buy expensive things, I will just as easily buy a comfy shirt from Target. From my experience, this is how most people are and there is nothing wrong with that. That being said, I do know a few whose lives revolve around making themselves look better for everyone else...but most people avoid these people as they can be very judgemental towards others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2008, 11:17 AM
 
94 posts, read 323,311 times
Reputation: 103
fcorrales80 -

Fate is considered a gay bar? Really? I go there all the time and I always see a good mix of all different types of couples. Huh...
Just a little observation... Amsterdam - Beautifull bar, beautiful mojitos, beautiful men EVERYWHERE! I love that place. And the men love my hair... and that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2008, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,995 posts, read 9,979,580 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by allio27 View Post
fcorrales80 -

Fate is considered a gay bar? Really? I go there all the time and I always see a good mix of all different types of couples. Huh...
Just a little observation... Amsterdam - Beautifull bar, beautiful mojitos, beautiful men EVERYWHERE! I love that place. And the men love my hair... and that's about it.
I think Fate is more of an "alternative" bar, so basically its gay, LOL. The men there are into art, thats kind of gay...even to me. Just kidding, just kidding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
 
94 posts, read 323,311 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I think Fate is more of an "alternative" bar, so basically its gay, LOL. The men there are into art, thats kind of gay...even to me. Just kidding, just kidding!


Aaahahaha!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 AM
 
1,170 posts, read 3,425,347 times
Reputation: 175
I'd just like to go on the record as saying that I love Foobs! What straight men don't? If foobs are one of the downfaults of Scottsdale, then its alright with me! although I must say that I saw more old people than foobs when I was there recently!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 02:31 PM
 
11 posts, read 39,460 times
Reputation: 14
I think so many people like to dis scottsdale is because there are jealous that the people there have more money than they do. Old town is a really great area with a lot to do. I think downtown is great too, and i would love to see it get more urban and dense, but it will take a couple of years. If you are willing to wait for it, i would suggest downtown, but only if you cant afford the 20% premium for the scottsdale address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,995 posts, read 9,979,580 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by az110 View Post
I think so many people like to dis scottsdale is because there are jealous that the people there have more money than they do. Old town is a really great area with a lot to do. I think downtown is great too, and i would love to see it get more urban and dense, but it will take a couple of years. If you are willing to wait for it, i would suggest downtown, but only if you cant afford the 20% premium for the scottsdale address
This is pretty accurate, except downtown is not cheap, it is just as expensive if not more so than Scottsdale. A nice home, which will be historic often costs more than 1 million. Lofts and condo's average $400,000 to $500,000 (one bedroom). But I wasn't one putting down Scottsdale, I love it and love going there. Clubs are fabulous and I seem to get free drinks from women after I complement their shoes and/or bag, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top