Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family relocating from Maryland to SE Valley area of Arizona; seeks information housing market, housing budget 600k-900k, less than 30 minute commute, top elementary schools, one acre lot

Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 PM

7 posts, read 16,193 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating from Maryland to the SE Valley in May or June of 2009. Thanks to two short trips to the area in the last 18 months and visiting numerous real estate sites, the cities at the top of our list are Gilbert, Chandler, Queen Creek and Ahwatukee Foothills. What I am seeking here is recommendations on neighborhoods/developments that best meet our needs and wants.

Price: 600 - 900K; would not pass on a fully adequate home if it were cheaper.

Commute: Less than 30 minutes at rush hour to the Chandler Airpark area. I've considered living as far out as Fountain Hills or Gold Canyon, but would give up a great mountain view for a shorter commute.

Schools: Top tier elementary schools (kids will be 2 and 3) and indicators that the middle and high schools will be great in a decade. Can you believe the parents will be mid-forties and married for 21 years?! High schools have Home Economics/FACS for the day my wife decides to go back to teaching.

Neighborhood Density/Demographics: Lots of kids under 5. Friendly and safe (below national average crime). Lots of stay-at-home mothers looking for friends.

Lot: Around one acre (0.5 to 2+). Pool or room for a pool. Prefer mature landscaping with some citrus. Prefer lot that backs to a scenic protected common or reserve area and not to a road. Quiet. Perhaps a pie-shaped lot at the end of a cul-de-sac would best meet the lot and neighborhood density criteria.

Home: a. Superior construction for maximal longevity and energy efficiency. We've lived in a block constructed home in the past and would really like to have that pleasure again. Unless we custom build that won't likely happen, but stucco and 2X6 or better construction has to beat the 2X4 tract house with wind-rattled metal siding and skimpy insulation that we presently call home. Single level or single level with a basement. 3500+ sf.

b. Four bedrooms and room for a home office

c. Huge kitchen (prefer three walls), with a design that allows display of pottery from around the world. Cabinets that go to the ceiling will not work (tall ceiling and staggered cabinets).

If you are still awake :-), please recommend neighborhoods and/or builders that offer the type of community and home we are seeking.

Thanks,

Dawgdoc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 AM

68 posts, read 334,296 times
The best general advice I can give without getting into specific subdivisions is that if you decide on Gilbert, make sure that you are in Gilbert School District and NOT Higley School District. All of the cities on your list are nice in my opinion (though all, of course, have certain aspects that may make them more desirable or undesirable for your specific needs) but one thing is for certain: Higley School District is a mess. Just be careful where in Gilbert you land if you decide on Gilbert!

Good luck on your move! With your price ranges, you'll find an amazing house in a great neighborhood, no doubt!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:16 PM

7 posts, read 16,193 times
Thanks for the advice about Higley School District. Hints on specific subdivisions was what I was hoping for, but I'll gladly take all the help I can get. I only recall the names of two subdivisions from my last visit: Whitewing at Higley and Sunrise Meadows Estates in Chandler. Both were really nice, but I think most houses there were above my price range.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:58 AM

191 posts, read 611,931 times
Default Wow! You really know what you're looking for.

Think about the schools more than anything since that will soon become your prime focus. There are websites that will give you school reports (greatschools.com) but you will learn more about the schools on blogs like this from parents that know. The far east valley (Gold Canyon, Queen Creek) have school districts that have been deluged with students due to the unprecedented growth. As a result, they are short staffed, and are scrambling to build schools. Gold Canyon is too close to Apache Junction. You will want to avoid Apache Junction at all costs. However, you would do well sticking to the East Valley as you can get more home for your money than say, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley or Fountain Hills. With gas prices >$4.00 you will want to live as close to your employer as possible. Commuting on the freeways here is not a good time.

There are many homes that are on the market that would meet your needs and sellers are very anxious to sell in this down market. As a result you will be in a good position in negotiations. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area