Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:01 PM

220 posts, read 646,462 times

Advertisements

Hi Im wondering if any of the old drive in theaters are still open around here?
I know the one on Bethany was open for a long time, idk if it still is.
Does anyone know of any that are open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,772,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoenlacabeza View Post
Hi Im wondering if any of the old drive in theaters are still open around here?
I know the one on Bethany was open for a long time, idk if it still is.
Does anyone know of any that are open?
I believe the "Scottsdale Six" is still there. 8101 E McKellips Rd Scottsdale.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,200,299 times
What is a drive in? Do you mean Sonic? I heard that is a drive in. They are really nice there too. Bring your food right to you.

All kidding aside. We used to have two of them in my area of California. One is abandoned and the other is an upscale shopping center. Guess with VCR, DVD, and now Blu Ray the need for a drive in just doesn't exist anymore. Sorry to say that is the case because when I was in High School that was the place to go when you wanted to give the back seat a work out. Oh the good old days.

Just wondering. Did people visit the drive in often in the valley? Everyone says how hot it is at night. Seems that it would have been uncomfortable watching a movie in the heat, even if it was 9 at night.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:00 PM

220 posts, read 646,462 times
When I was a kid we used to go all the time, Im sure its lost it's nostalgia considering most drive in's are abandoned but I was thinking my kids would have a great time with it and its gotta be a cheaper way to take a family of 7 to the movies,lol!!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:15 PM

674 posts, read 2,544,446 times
There's one in Glendale that's still open. Bethany Home Rd. and 55th Ave.

Century Glendale Drive-In - Glendale - Phoenix New Times

Old 06-09-2008, 02:33 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,772,228 times
Looks like Scottsdale is still open, though it's probably on the wrong side of town for you. According to this link, there's only six left in the state. The first review was written by someone who was there less than two weeks ago. The last time I was there -many years ago- they had done away with the old metal box speakers and gone to a low power FM frequency for sound.

Scottsdale Six Drive-In in Phoenix, AZ - AOL City Guide

SOON2BNSURPRISE, in answer to your question, they were extremely popular here in the early and mid sixties. It wasn't hot to us, we played outside all day year round. As kids our parents took us at least two times a month during the summer as part of a family night out. It usually started at this non-chain hamburger joint on Hayden just north of Thomas- Seven burgers for a dollar! Time for lunch

Old 06-09-2008, 02:51 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,117,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
SOON2BNSURPRISE, in answer to your question, they were extremely popular here in the early and mid sixties. It wasn't hot to us, we played outside all day year round. As kids our parents took us at least two times a month during the summer as part of a family night out. It usually started at this non-chain hamburger joint on Hayden just north of Thomas- Seven burgers for a dollar! Time for lunch
Plus, other times of the year it is a lot cooler at night. I remember going to the drive in when I was a kid, it was fun.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,152,701 times
Arizona got off to a late and modest start in
the outdoor cinema biz. There were a dozen
different states that had already hosted their
first drive-in theatre .. during the 1930's, and
both Texas & California had a couple drive-ins
up and running in the 30's. Even during the 40's,
things developed very gradually in Arizona... with
only 5 drive-in theatres opening. But by the late 50's,
during the heydey of the Outdoor Cinema, there were
no less than 49 Drive-in theatres operating in Arizona.
Since that time, the number of functional drive-ins
in the state has declined by 92% and, presently,
there are four drive-in theatres that remain open
(with a total of 20 outdoor screens among them).
Meanwhile, there are two attempts underway to
expand the cinema under the stars in Arizona.

Arizona Drive-ins :-: AZ :-: Drive-in movies theatres Driveins cinemas films of Arizona

Old 06-09-2008, 07:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,139,103 times
the one in glendale seems like a good deal - maybe i'll have to go and check it out - we had one in our small town growing up and we always enjoyed it as kids

they show double features for $6.25 ($4 on tuesdays) and apparently kids under 11 get in for free

Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 PM

919 posts, read 3,383,553 times
We hit the Scottsdale one from time to time with a group of friends.... it's kind of an interesting night out. 2 films for one price and I think they only charge per car, not person. There's no longer a metal box you string into the window - the soundtrack is streamed over a radio channel, so you simply crank the stereo. We don't even sit in the cars, but bring deck chairs and sit in a group. It's more like a picnic/tailgater. In fact, we usually have coolers of wine, beer and good food. We did crank up a BBQ once but got admonished for open flames - but otherwise you could set up a king size bed and a fridge with a butler... nobody would care. That said, if you really want to concentrate on a film, it's not the best scene. Cars drive by, kids run about, planes fly overhead and the sound/picture quality is probably weaker than a good home theater setup. Basically, go for a fun time, not to see a movie you really want to enjoy without distractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area