U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Relocating to Phoenix: traffic, planned community, College sports, market, transplants, housing, diversity.

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2008, 04:26 PM
 
190 posts, read 547,325 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
Guys,

I agree a little with both of you but unfortunately since I had a kid and moved to burbs, I cannot enjoy the benefits of living in Chicago as I had previously....Chicago was great when I was single and ready to mingle and bring home multiple hotties from clubs and stay up all night and party away and practice the shocker on them...then go to the beach the next day and sleep the day away, then do the same again....But I must say that when you have a kid and are not of trust fund family descent, city becomes more of a nuisance.
I agree with you. If you are a single guy or gal, you want to live in a city like NY, Chicago, SF, or Boston. When you are single, you are willing to endure the incoveniences of living in the city in order to have fun. When you have a family, things like parking, safety, space and weather become more important. Ignore my response above about Chicago, it's a great city. I was just making the point that I could find many things wrong with Chicago just like you can find many things wrong with Phoenix. Steve-O just spends most of his time obsessing about the negatives associated with Phoenix. Hey, hate Phoenix all you want but do it on your own forum. Most of the people in Chicago with families live in the suburbs anyway and live a very Phoenix-like life with strip malls and suburbia. It's not like their life is so drastically altered when they move to Phoenix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2008, 04:36 PM
 
3,632 posts, read 15,424,502 times
Reputation: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
Sable,

Can you please tell me which towns make up the "east valley" area? thx.
That would be Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Queen Creek....even try Scottsdale if you'd like.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,004 posts, read 73,502,843 times
Reputation: 10287
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
I meant in regards to the people and their personalities snce so many people move here from the midwest. Relax buddy, you will have plenty of opportunities to criticize Phoenix in other threads since your entire purpose here is to bash Phoenix. But if you want to try and tell people you are here just to offer "objective advice" be my guest. No offense, but did you bother to think what type of credibility you possess considering you live in Chicago and spend all day bashing Phoenix? Do you think people see that and are impressed? You are entitled to your opinion of Phoenix and I can respect that but it's obvious your purpose is not to offer advice but rather put down the city every opportunity you get. Do you really want me to come to the Chicago forum and discuss the horrible weather, crime, flat terrain, older homes, traffic, higher cost of living, the fact you can't do anything 7 months out of the year because of the bad weather, bad restaurants and the fact that so many people are moving out of Chicago? No, I won't do that because that would be disrespectful.
I only criticize posts when I see blatant errors in information. Im sorry, but saying PHX is like a midwestern city couldnt be further from the truth. Secondly, I do enjoy Arizona very much, contrary to what you might think (PHX aside). Anyways, I saw the post and responded, because I think telling someone that PHX is like a midwestern city is VERY misleading. Would you sit back and not respond if you saw someone say that Chicago is a lot like Phoenix? Also, if you really think that for 7 months we "cant do anything outside", then that really shows how little you know about the area, therefore Id expect you not to comment on the Chicago boards. And "bad restaurants"? Who are you trying to kid???

OP, Im glad you stayed in Scottsdale for awhile, and could probably see for yourself how POLAR OPPOSITE Phoenix is from the midwest (which attracts many people), otherwise Id hate for you to believe when someone says that "PHX is like a midwestern city". Id look into somewhere near Old Town Scottsdale (Scottsdale Road and Indian School Rd area), or in Tempe maybe. Old Town Scottsdale is geared more towards the older/tourist crowd, but are still clubs (ie Axis, Radius, etc) and decent bars, too. And if youre into shopping and art, Old Town is the place to be!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,004 posts, read 73,502,843 times
Reputation: 10287
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
Steve-O just spends most of his time obsessing about the negatives associated with Phoenix. Hey, hate Phoenix all you want but do it on your own forum. Most of the people in Chicago with families live in the suburbs anyway and live a very Phoenix-like life with strip malls and suburbia. It's not like their life is so drastically altered when they move to Phoenix.
Why the hatred?? Geez.

I do dislike PHX, sue me. I also love many areas of the Valley, too!!!! However, I do help many people on the AZ boards, but mainly when it comes to scorpions, rattlesnakes, etc. I DONT chime in where I dont feel Im qualified to answer, do I? Answer me that. I do know the Valley quite well, I spend a lot of time in AZ every year, but that still doesnt make me an expert. I call it as I see it, and if you dont like my opinions regarding certain things, then so be it, Im not gonna lose any sleep over it. Just dont tell people that PHX is like a midwestern city, thats ludicrous!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 05:44 PM
 
1,170 posts, read 3,288,973 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
I agree with you. If you are a single guy or gal, you want to live in a city like NY, Chicago, SF, or Boston. When you are single, you are willing to endure the incoveniences of living in the city in order to have fun. When you have a family, things like parking, safety, space and weather become more important. Ignore my response above about Chicago, it's a great city. I was just making the point that I could find many things wrong with Chicago just like you can find many things wrong with Phoenix. Steve-O just spends most of his time obsessing about the negatives associated with Phoenix. Hey, hate Phoenix all you want but do it on your own forum. Most of the people in Chicago with families live in the suburbs anyway and live a very Phoenix-like life with strip malls and suburbia. It's not like their life is so drastically altered when they move to Phoenix.
AZriver, I complete understand your points and Steve-O's as well. I actually enjoy reading your back and forths....its comical and keeps it real so let Stevo go at it if that's what floats his boat...but I do thorouly enjoy both of your convos!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 05:46 PM
 
1,170 posts, read 3,288,973 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I only criticize posts when I see blatant errors in information. Im sorry, but saying PHX is like a midwestern city couldnt be further from the truth. Secondly, I do enjoy Arizona very much, contrary to what you might think (PHX aside). Anyways, I saw the post and responded, because I think telling someone that PHX is like a midwestern city is VERY misleading. Would you sit back and not respond if you saw someone say that Chicago is a lot like Phoenix? Also, if you really think that for 7 months we "cant do anything outside", then that really shows how little you know about the area, therefore Id expect you not to comment on the Chicago boards. And "bad restaurants"? Who are you trying to kid???

OP, Im glad you stayed in Scottsdale for awhile, and could probably see for yourself how POLAR OPPOSITE Phoenix is from the midwest (which attracts many people), otherwise Id hate for you to believe when someone says that "PHX is like a midwestern city". Id look into somewhere near Old Town Scottsdale (Scottsdale Road and Indian School Rd area), or in Tempe maybe. Old Town Scottsdale is geared more towards the older/tourist crowd, but are still clubs (ie Axis, Radius, etc) and decent bars, too. And if youre into shopping and art, Old Town is the place to be!
Stevo, appreciate your thoughts! You and Azriver are part of what makes america "tony the tiger" grrrrrreeeeaaat!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 PM
 
190 posts, read 547,325 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
AZriver, I complete understand your points and Steve-O's as well. I actually enjoy reading your back and forths....its comical and keeps it real so let Stevo go at it if that's what floats his boat...but I do thorouly enjoy both of your convos!
I also get a kick out of reading Steve-O's responses because I know he has an ulterior motive to put down Phoenix so his responses are predictable and thus amusing. Knowing he has this motive, it's difficult for me to distinguish when he is being sincere and when he is trying to exagerrate to make a point.

But you are right. People should get both views regarding a subject, but be careful whose criticism you are reading. I do think there are members who are sincere in there criticisms of Phoenix and don't exaggerate like Steve-O. Sablebaby, the moderator, is pretty objective and is willing to be critical of the valley. If she says anything negative, you can be assured it's because she sincerely feels that way and is not saying it out of some smear campaign.

Last edited by azriverfan; 06-16-2008 at 09:24 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,004 posts, read 73,502,843 times
Reputation: 10287
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
I also get a kick out of reading Steve-O's responses because I know he has an ulterior motive to put down Phoenix so his responses are predictable and thus amusing. Knowing he has this motive, it's difficult for me to distinguish when he is being sincere and when he is trying to exagerrate to make a point.

But you are right. People should get both views regarding a subject, but be careful whose criticism you are reading. I do think there are members who are sincere in there criticisms of Phoenix and don't exaggerate like Steve-O. Sablebaby, the moderator, is pretty objective and is willing to be critical of the valley. If she says anything negative, you can be assured it's because she sincerely feels that way and is not saying it out of some smear campaign.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever you say, boss.

PHX blows, and you know it. The special gems of the Valley are Fountain Hills, Paradise Valley, Carefree, parts of Cave Creek, north Scottsdale and maybe parts of Tempe. PHX itself is highly unimpressive and Im dang vocal about it. So what? Im also dang vocal about many Chicagoland suburbs and how much I despise them as well. Ooooh.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 09:47 PM
 
190 posts, read 547,325 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever you say, boss.

PHX blows, and you know it. The special gems of the Valley are Fountain Hills, Paradise Valley, Carefree, parts of Cave Creek, north Scottsdale and maybe parts of Tempe. PHX itself is highly unimpressive and Im dang vocal about it. So what? Im also dang vocal about many Chicagoland suburbs and how much I despise them as well. Ooooh.
You are one of those guys that enjoys having the last word right? No, I don't think Phoenix "blows" just like I don't think Chicago "blows" Every city has something to offer and suits certain people. I try to respect that concept by not going to other peoples' forums and criticizing it. How would you feel if someone walked into your home and said bad things about it? It's about respect. I don't care that you hate Phoenix. What bothers me is that you use our forum as a sounding board to vent about it. Dude, we get it, you hate Phoenix. Move on brother!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,004 posts, read 73,502,843 times
Reputation: 10287
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
You are one of those guys that enjoys having the last word right? No, I don't think Phoenix "blows" just like I don't think Chicago "blows" Every city has something to offer and suits certain people. I try to respect that concept by not going to other peoples' forums and criticizing it. How would you feel if someone walked into your home and said bad things about it? It's about respect. I don't care that you hate Phoenix. What bothers me is that you use our forum as a sounding board to vent about it. Dude, we get it, you hate Phoenix. Move on brother!
Well, the thing is, that I dont just pop in to rip on PHX until I see someone state something wrong about it or someplace else. I love Arizona, so I always browse these boards. It just so happens that now and then I read a post about PHX that is complete BS and thats when I get involved. I dont just butt into any ol' thread and say "yeah, Phoenix sucks" just to say it. I came into this thread because you said that "PHX is like a midwestern city", to which I (and probably everyone else in the world) strongly disagree. If the midwest was like PHX, I would have moved a loooooong time ago. I dont like the heat, I dont like how long the heat lasts, I dont like the fact that you dont have strong seasonal changes, I dont really like the food there, I dont like the fact that its not very diverse (culturally), etc, etc. However, I DO like the fact that your spring and fall weather are GORGEOUS. I DO like the fact that your flora and fauna are very fascinating. I DO love the mountains in Arizona. I DO love the fact that your roads are pristine. Its just a dang shame that PHX has to be in AZ, or else your state would be a dream-come-true to me. I HATE the fact that PHX is completely unappealing to me, its like having a date with a supermodel just to find out that she has a pimple the size of a baseball on her chin. Take PHX out of the picture and keep towns like Prescott, Wickenburg, Tombstone, north Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, and VOILA! Id move there in a heartbeat. Does this better explain? PHX is a huge letdown to someone like me, AZ is far more deserving of a better capital city. Sorry, thats just the way I see things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:56 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top