U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Phoenix: traffic, planned community, College sports, market, transplants, housing, diversity.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:06 PM

6,708 posts, read 10,780,466 times

Advertisements

OK, so I am from Chicago and have been in AZ since 2001. We came here to have a different perspective on life. I needed to get away from the dirty snow, the salted rusty junky cars, the rusty "L"platforms, the crooked politics and my ex husband. Oh yes, also the taxes there. When we got here, there were so many Chicago people it was like being in "west Chicago." I couldn't believe it. So, now that we have been here this long, I take the beauty for granted alot. The bougs have lost their newness, the palm trees are boring and I have had enough sunshine to last for 200 years. Phoenix is not like Chicago and that's what's good about it. Some people just need to "chill"... One city is not better or worse than another. It's just different. Alot of Chicagoans come here, just for that reason. IMHO this thread is getting stupid. No one wins !!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 01:22 AM

190 posts, read 547,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I came into this thread because you said that "PHX is like a midwestern city", to which I (and probably everyone else in the world) strongly disagree. If the midwest was like PHX, I would have moved a loooooong time ago.
Steve

Are you are trying to misconstrue my words to put me down in some manner? After all, I have already clarified that my alluding to Phoenix as a Midwestern city had to do with the large population of people from the Midwest who move here. I wasn't literally saying Phoenix resembles a city in the Midwest. I'm sorry if I didn't clarify that in my initial statement but I assumed I didn't have to. Now that you know my intention, why do you continue to insist I am saying Phoenix resembles a city in Midwest in terms of weather, geography etc? If you need to do that to ridicule me, please enjoy.

I'm sorry Phoenix is a letdown for you. I'm glad you like the other aspects of Arizona. However, a lot of people like Phoenix including myself. Can't you respect that? I don't personally like Dallas but I don't spend all day on the Dallas forum criticizing it. I lived there and I don't care for it. But a lot of people are enthusiastic about moving there. They are hopeful and excited to move there. Why should I post there just to dash their hopes? What good does that do? Give it a rest friend. It's negative energy and nothing more.

Last edited by azriverfan; 06-17-2008 at 01:31 AM..

Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,289,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OK, so I am from Chicago and have been in AZ since 2001. We came here to have a different perspective on life. I needed to get away from the dirty snow, the salted rusty junky cars, the rusty "L"platforms, the crooked politics and my ex husband. Oh yes, also the taxes there. When we got here, there were so many Chicago people it was like being in "west Chicago." I couldn't believe it. So, now that we have been here this long, I take the beauty for granted alot. The bougs have lost their newness, the palm trees are boring and I have had enough sunshine to last for 200 years. Phoenix is not like Chicago and that's what's good about it. Some people just need to "chill"... One city is not better or worse than another. It's just different. Alot of Chicagoans come here, just for that reason. IMHO this thread is getting stupid. No one wins !!!

Barb, I tend to concur w/ you about the Chicago....you, me, wedding chapel?

I've seen and enjoyed the best of it but also the worst of it as well. Chicago, I believe is the greatest city in the summer, but the other months, I can't say the same....Just like Phoenix area might be the greatest if they had a beach....People say that "oh you'll get used to the winter", well I know now that you really never do! You'll learn to despise and deal with it but you never get used to the winter. I know the saying is the same with "you'll get used to the heat"...you probably never get too used to it but learn to deal with it just like the cold but if it were up to me, i'd pick hot over cold.

The potholes have been the worst this year...I am constantly swerving in and out of my own traffic lane...the traffic, well let's not even go there, just as bad....politics, well its still crooked than ever but this is chicago and that is given and R. Kelly still is not guilty!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:49 AM

228 posts, read 564,475 times
Just my 2 cents:

One is a great city with lousy weather. One is a lousy city with great weather (for roughly 7 months out of the year, anyway). Pick your poison. Personally, if there's a choice C (and, as it so happens, there are many more attractive options out there to choose from), I'll take it.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:31 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,560,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OK, so I am from Chicago and have been in AZ since 2001. We came here to have a different perspective on life. I needed to get away from the dirty snow, the salted rusty junky cars, the rusty "L"platforms, the crooked politics and my ex husband. Oh yes, also the taxes there. When we got here, there were so many Chicago people it was like being in "west Chicago." I couldn't believe it. So, now that we have been here this long, I take the beauty for granted alot. The bougs have lost their newness, the palm trees are boring and I have had enough sunshine to last for 200 years. Phoenix is not like Chicago and that's what's good about it.
Excellent reasons to move to Phoenix! Phoenix is a good place to go to when you want to get away from Chicago (and the taxes are going to go up even more soon in Crook County-yes I misspelled it on purpose!).

I also meet many Chicagoans whenever I'm in the Phoenix area, but don't feel that makes it Midwestern. If I went to Indianapolis, Indiana, for example, I could see the Midwestern comparisons to Chicago more likely. The differences in Phoenix are the things that I like about it; because it is different visually and otherwise!

To the OP, you will enjoy being in Phoenix if you are ready for a change of scenery, but remember that no place is perfect. I personally don't like Chandler out of all the places you picked. I agree with you that traffic in Phoenix is nothing compared to what we put up with here in Chicago at Rush Hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area