U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Phoenix: traffic, planned community, College sports, market, transplants, housing, diversity.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:31 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,275,750 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I just got yelled at by an old silver haired geezer from Sedona, who takes Metamucil intravenously at tripadvisor.com who thought I was soliciting realestate advice. I hope people aren't as senile here....

We(me, wife and 2 year old) are thinking of relocating to phoenix area from chicago area, if all goes well, by Nov. 1st for obvious reasons(cost of living, weather, cheaper real estate). We are young parents(30's). We both work for fortune 500 company. My wife's company has office in Chandler and my company has office in Phoenix.

We stayed at Scottsdale from 6/5 - 6/10 so we got to know the area a bit but still confused since Phoenix area is soooo spread out. Having said that, personally my preference seems to be leaning toward Scottsdale. We prefer the big city life over remote suburbs but not necessarily ruling that out either as you seem to get more bang for the buck.

If we will be working in Chander and Scottsdale, what would be some of your advice with regards to areas to live in?

some of the areas that we're considering are: Chandler, Mesa, Scottsdale, Phoenix(does anyone actually "live" in Phoenix), Queen Creek keeps popping up as well... what would be your thoughts/advice on this? What would be the driving time? I must say that having lived in Chicago for the past 12 years, and having driven in the rush hour traffic in Phoenix(Scottsdale to Phoenix on monday morning as well as from Scottsdale to the Airport on Tuesday morning), the traffic that you guys speak of is NOTHING compared to here.... Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 01:20 PM

191 posts, read 576,347 times
Red face Your move...

That is a great time to move here, you'll miss another freezing winter in Chicago and enjoy the best time of year here in AZ. If you are used to the city life, you will hate Queen Creek. Really. It was all farmland very recently and was bought up by developers who created a gazillion planned communities which people are now desperately trying to move out of. It is quite a commute to Scottsdale/Phoenix from there. The highways are just starting to get out there. The 101 runs from Chandler up past Scottsdale, so I would direct you to look along that route. Tempe has a lot going on especially if you enjoy College Sports, Concerts etc... There are really nice areas of Tempe such as Warner Ranch that would be close to the 101 but in a family environment too. There are also areas of Tempe that I would steer you away from. Scottsdale is a very lively place but also much more pricey. Chandler is busy revitalizing it's downtown and is becoming quite artsy. Chandler has good schools as well. In any case there are many, many homes on the market with sellers who are very willing to negotiate. Hope this helps!

Old 06-16-2008, 01:23 PM

190 posts, read 545,092 times
There are so many young people from Chicago that move here. You will feel at home here. Phoenix is basically a midwest-like city near the west coast. It seems like most of the people who move here are from the midwest originally.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 PM

3,632 posts, read 15,362,952 times
Yep, many people live "in" Phoenix. I think it's just under 2million? Phoenix is HUGE land wise.

If you will be working in Chandler and Scottsdale, then move to the east valley for a better commute. Our rush hours right NOW are GREAT for the summer. Otherwise, it's more crowded on the freeways.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweetazhome View Post
That is a great time to move here, you'll miss another freezing winter in Chicago and enjoy the best time of year here in AZ. If you are used to the city life, you will hate Queen Creek. Really. It was all farmland very recently and was bought up by developers who created a gazillion planned communities which people are now desperately trying to move out of. It is quite a commute to Scottsdale/Phoenix from there. The highways are just starting to get out there. The 101 runs from Chandler up past Scottsdale, so I would direct you to look along that route. Tempe has a lot going on especially if you enjoy College Sports, Concerts etc... There are really nice areas of Tempe such as Warner Ranch that would be close to the 101 but in a family environment too. There are also areas of Tempe that I would steer you away from. Scottsdale is a very lively place but also much more pricey. Chandler is busy revitalizing it's downtown and is becoming quite artsy. Chandler has good schools as well. In any case there are many, many homes on the market with sellers who are very willing to negotiate. Hope this helps!
Thanks...this helps alot!

Old 06-16-2008, 01:58 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
There are so many young people from Chicago that move here. You will feel at home here. Phoenix is basically a midwest-like city near the west coast. It seems like most of the people who move here are from the midwest originally.
yeah, actually when i was in Scottsdale, i ran into several people from Chicagoans and New Yorkers....

Old 06-16-2008, 01:59 PM

Default East Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Yep, many people live "in" Phoenix. I think it's just under 2million? Phoenix is HUGE land wise.

If you will be working in Chandler and Scottsdale, then move to the east valley for a better commute. Our rush hours right NOW are GREAT for the summer. Otherwise, it's more crowded on the freeways.
Sable,

Can you please tell me which towns make up the "east valley" area? thx.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:30 PM

20,005 posts, read 73,151,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan View Post
Phoenix is basically a midwest-like city near the west coast
With different architecture/housing styles, a lot less diversity, horrible PT, no 4 seasons, worse schools, different flora and fauna, different cuisine, etc, etc. Minus some transplants, there are hardly any similarities between PHX and Chicago. No offense, but that was a very strange comparison.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:01 PM

190 posts, read 545,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
With different architecture/housing styles, a lot less diversity, horrible PT, no 4 seasons, worse schools, different flora and fauna, different cuisine, etc, etc. Minus some transplants, there are hardly any similarities between PHX and Chicago. No offense, but that was a very strange comparison.
I meant in regards to the people and their personalities snce so many people move here from the midwest. Relax buddy, you will have plenty of opportunities to criticize Phoenix in other threads since your entire purpose here is to bash Phoenix. But if you want to try and tell people you are here just to offer "objective advice" be my guest. No offense, but did you bother to think what type of credibility you possess considering you live in Chicago and spend all day bashing Phoenix? Do you think people see that and are impressed? You are entitled to your opinion of Phoenix and I can respect that but it's obvious your purpose is not to offer advice but rather put down the city every opportunity you get. Do you really want me to come to the Chicago forum and discuss the horrible weather, crime, flat terrain, older homes, traffic, higher cost of living, the fact you can't do anything 7 months out of the year because of the bad weather, bad restaurants and the fact that so many people are moving out of Chicago? No, I won't do that because that would be disrespectful.

Last edited by azriverfan; 06-16-2008 at 03:17 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Guys,

I agree a little with both of you but unfortunately since I had a kid and moved to burbs, I cannot enjoy the benefits of living in Chicago as I had previously....Chicago was great when I was single and ready to mingle and bring home multiple hotties from clubs and stay up all night and party away and practice the shocker on them...then go to the beach the next day and sleep the day away, then do the same again....But I must say that when you have a kid and are not of trust fund family descent, city becomes more of a nuisance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area