U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 03:26 PM

105 posts, read 428,556 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience doing this? I'm about ready to put an offer on a house with a three bedroom garage in Mesa. I would like to convert at least one stall into office space. I am willing to keep the garage door in place if I can seal it up well enough to keep it comfortable. I do not mind changing the exterior to a more traditional look (stucco / window, etc.) as there is no HOA in this neighborhood. I am unfamiliar with any city codes, though. Any information is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:52 PM

812 posts, read 2,227,594 times
My husbands an architect, I know there are codes, like window and doors etc for fire safety and such.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 AM

I spoke too soon. Spoke w/ husband. Not all require doors. Say like bedrooms don't require doors to outside. But, every city does have a International Safety Code that has to be followed that is where the permits come into play. Sorry I spoke too soon.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,704,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Does anyone have experience doing this? I'm about ready to put an offer on a house with a three bedroom garage in Mesa. I would like to convert at least one stall into office space. I am willing to keep the garage door in place if I can seal it up well enough to keep it comfortable. I do not mind changing the exterior to a more traditional look (stucco / window, etc.) as there is no HOA in this neighborhood. I am unfamiliar with any city codes, though. Any information is appreciated.
Make sure you find out the codes. It can be a nightmare if you do a lot of work then someone turns you in. My LIMITED knowledge is you can pretty much do anything to a garage if you leave the garage door in place. Once you remove that, wall it off and put in a regular entry it has big time CODES and regulations on how it is modified. You'd better call the county building commissioner or whatever that office is called. Sealing the door...hmmmm....they may look at that the same as removing it. Check it out first.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:01 PM

The thing is unless someone sleeps in the room, which I think you said it was an ofc. the codes differ regarding the door.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:04 PM

285 posts, read 863,945 times
You might also want to find out impact on resale effect.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:50 PM

105 posts, read 428,556 times
Thats a good point thanks all. I may just make a temporary adjustments for my office. But we're not planning to re-sale for 10-20 years so I'm not terribly concerned about re-sale.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:39 PM

9,319 posts, read 17,961,935 times
The first thing that you might want to do, is to contact the city building department to avoid any risk, and see what guidelines they may have. Then consult an architect. Best of luck

Old 06-18-2008, 04:24 AM

16,290 posts, read 30,518,706 times
One thought is how are you going to cool your office? You may want to check and see if your AC has the output for the additional square foot area. Also the home may be insulated but the garage might not be. Personally I prefer a garage with room for the rides. There have been threads on how people fix up the back yard, how about how people fix up the garage?

Old 06-18-2008, 07:58 AM

26,468 posts, read 26,244,995 times
There are a lot of things that need to be considered when one does that. Youd need to enclose the walls, add insulation, add heating/cooling ductwork, and if you dont already have one, a window or two would be nice.
What I dont understand is (my own personal feelings on this) why people turn garages into add-on rooms instead of leaving them as garages, especially with the sweltering heat beating straight down on your cars all day, its really not good for the paint and can weather sooner than its supposed to. Why cant people just add on to the back or the other side of the house...unless you own one of those houses with no back yard, which sadly, the majority of those new homes anymore dont have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area