U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 AM

105 posts, read 423,088 times

Advertisements

I am sure there are some here who live in either place. I am seriously considering a home in both places (one home total, to be clear). I know all the school info; I am familiar with the area; I know about shopping and commutes. I am most interested in the intangibles that I am not familiar with such as HOA dues, any peculiar restrictions that one has over another; traffic within the community, memberships, etc. Any info is appreciated by someone who has lived in the areas.

*As a frame of reference, I have a family with children, I don't golf but wouldn't mind learning, I run my business out of my home with no need for people to come by.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 04:55 PM

105 posts, read 423,088 times
Default Some differences.

For the benefit of others, I guess I will reply myself with what I have learned so far. Las Sendas kids go to Las Sendas Elementary, and Red Mountain Ranch kids go to Red Mountain Ranch elementary. Las Sendas Elementary is an A+ Superior school (5 out of 5 stars); and RMR Elementary is 4 out of 5 stars; although they are both very good for public schools from what I hear. A Golf membership at Red Mountain Ranch is $10,000. Also, Las Sendas seems more gated than Red Mountain Ranch. Any other info is appreciated.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:25 PM

13 posts, read 39,411 times
I live near both communities and my kids have attended both schools. Las Sendas has high HOA dues but lots of amenities. There are parks, walking trails, two pools, tennis courts, basketball courts plus a club that you pay extra to use the workout equipment. They also have organized activities and kids recreation classes. Red Mountain Ranch is different. There is one park and some walking trails. The Country Club has some organized activities, but not nearly as many as Las Sendas. A lot of people that used to live in Red Mountain Ranch have moved to Las Sendas. Red Mtn. is better for golf, but most other activities are better in Las Sendas. Red Mtn. Country Club recently had a deal that did waived the initiation fee - I would definitely call to find out the current fee structure. Las Sendas definitely has more transplants from out of state than Red Mtn. does. There is almost a Scottsdale "attitude" to Las Sendas and some parts of Red Mtn. (Country Club Estates ).

As for the schools, my choice would be Las Sendas. All students from second grade to sixth participate in Suzuki Violin. They have a strong emphasis on reading and math and participate in odyssey of the mind. Red Mtn. Ranch Elementary is gaining ground, but IMHO not at the same level as Las Sendas. HOWEVER, Las Sendas feeds into Freemont for Junior High and Red Mtn. feeds into Shepherd Jr. High. The general consensus is that Shepherd is the preference. Both feed into Red Mountain High School. I can't comment on the jr. or sr. high as my kids attend a charter.

If I had it to do over again, I would choose Las Sendas. It is well kept, newer and has a sense of being its own little town. I LOVE the gated areas and the cul-de-sacs. The only down side to Las Sendas is that there are soooooo many foreclosures in the 85207 zip code. The houses have lost some value over the past year or so. Not necessarily so on the other side of the street in 85215.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 5,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
For the benefit of others, I guess I will reply myself with what I have learned so far. Las Sendas kids go to Las Sendas Elementary, and Red Mountain Ranch kids go to Red Mountain Ranch elementary. Las Sendas Elementary is an A+ Superior school (5 out of 5 stars); and RMR Elementary is 4 out of 5 stars; although they are both very good for public schools from what I hear. A Golf membership at Red Mountain Ranch is $10,000. Also, Las Sendas seems more gated than Red Mountain Ranch. Any other info is appreciated.
I had purchased my home in the LasSendas community of Grayhawk approx 3 years ago. We bought here because of the low traffic out in the East Valley as well as for it's location to the airport. We have adult children that come out from time to time in the winter months while we are here. While looking for a place we found that the HOA monthly costs where one of the most reasonable of all the places that we looked at with similar emenities ie. pools, tennis courts, good schools and etc. Most recently there has been a big change in the management of the HOA which from waht I see and hear will be very possitive. The new board seems to have gotten the spending under control that will hopefully keep our HOA costs close to where they are at now. As far as the poeple we have met, it has been nothing but positive. There are many retired people living in the developement which I believe has helped stabilize the values of our homes more here than in other areas in the Valley that had seen faster growth and cheaper prices to get in. I hope that this response will help in some way. Good Luck

Old 11-26-2010, 10:53 AM

6,069 posts, read 13,990,916 times
You can get copies of the CC&R's from each HOA. Just call the management companies. Many have them online to download.

I don't live in either but I've spent many days driving through looking at homes, and have a friend who lives there.

I don't see a traffic issue in either community.

Las Sendas is definitely the more upscale and more popular community, and would be my personal choice over Red Mountain.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:16 PM

418 posts, read 1,234,702 times
Too bad you aren't a golfer. Las Sendas is a great course and was rated as the toughest course a few years ago. Not sure if they still hold that title. I had one of those summer passes for a couple hundred dollars where you could play dozens of courses all over the valley for just the cart fee. I play Las Sendas nearly every morning that summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area