Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:32 PM

96 posts, read 441,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
I used to teach and we got paid more by the hour for summer school than we did on our annual salary....: )

LOVED TEACHING SUMMER SCHOOL! No evaluations either!
In my last district, the summer pay wasn't worth it for the time and amount of work. At my current school, we got to offer "fluff", enrichment or remedial (or a mixture) summer classes. We chose what we wanted to teach and waited to see if anyone wanted to sign their kids up. Luckily for me, my classes filled up quickly. Because so many kids signed up, not only am I making more per hour than my annual salary works out to be, but I also got $100 in Wal-Mart gift cards. That will help me buy school supplies when they go on sale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 11:37 PM

219 posts, read 779,019 times
I'm a financial analyst, starting salaries seemed to be about $45,000 here in the Phoenix area, not bad at all, and comparable to cities with a much higher cost of living.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:08 AM

919 posts, read 3,394,874 times
I develop news distribution partnerships with online news sites and major information portals. They are located everywhere so it doesn't really matter where I'm based... one day I might be dealing with Fox in NY, the Washington Post, LATimes, a U.K. trade magazine or a Chinese cell phone company. In fact, some of the leading trade pubs are based in esoteric palces.

It's a very niche job and I'd probably have more career options in SF, LA or NY, but for now it really doesn't matter in terms of my ability to do my work.

My situation could be really beneficial to the what the metro area needs - people who can telecommute for a good company based elsewhere. I've got a decent salary, full benefits, and no commute. The funny part is that they were very much against this setup 5 years ago. A certain asshat MBA type fought me tooth and nail, saying it was unproductive. He's now gone and the company is now encouraging telecommuting after realizing it's much cheaper than renting lots of office space in NYC, LA, SF, etc.

So if you work for or seek a job with a big company based elswhere, see if they will provide the opportinity to work remotely from time to time.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:48 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,577 times
Default Medical Imaging Sucks Raw Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_2_specialneeds View Post
I work in Nuclear Medicine. I have to say though, new grads are not getting jobs in my field.
Same with ultrasound. I am in limbo, because I don't have 5 years experience, I have 2, and 2 registries, but that doesn't get me a lot of jobs, and it's a hire-fire world out there. They try you out and if they don't like your hair color, it's next. I have been fired from jobs where I didn't even do any exams.
The people in the field are being very cutthroat and protective of their jobs and keeping the newer people out, because we are cheaper. Heck, if a place could hire 2 new people for what they are paying one older one...

Old 07-22-2008, 12:22 AM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times
I am looking for a rich girl to marry me. In the mean-time, playing powerball...

I am in IT field, working as a desktop tech/system admin.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:14 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,221,243 times
I just retired. Woo Hoo!!! Was in hospital administration.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:43 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,128 times
Love this thread!

Whaaaat? No responses from minimum wage folks? I thought, that this state was full of low wage jobs (just kidding). Although, some would swear by it.

All of these responses perfectly illustrate the availability of great opportunities in AZ.

Aerospace technician.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:01 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,435,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I am looking for a rich girl to marry me. In the mean-time, playing powerball...

I am in IT field, working as a desktop tech/system admin.
boy, talk about a long shot, in both cases...

Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 PM

141 posts, read 646,506 times
I see there are a few people in this thread who are in the financial services industry. I am young, 23, and looking to get a start on my career, unfortunately I don't have a bachelor's degree yet (though I have 2+ years of college), is there opportunity for me to find a job in financial services in Phoenix? I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 PM

687 posts, read 1,945,936 times
Advertising copywriter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area