Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 11:07 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times

Advertisements

I've heard that it's relatively inexpensive (~$1500) and I would love salt water vs chlorine, I hate the smell and the way my skin feels in the chlorine water.

Has anyone done this? Any reviews? Any companies that you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 11:15 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I've heard that it's relatively inexpensive (~$1500) and I would love salt water vs chlorine, I hate the smell and the way my skin feels in the chlorine water.

Has anyone done this? Any reviews? Any companies that you recommend?
I did mine a couple years ago. It was cheaper than that by a several hundred. You just tap into the return line and hook it to electric. Pretty easy to do with a hacksaw and glue.

Going salt is not going to change the chlorine picture. A salt pool just uses salt to generate chorine. Chemically there is little difference. The salt (sodium) in the water makes it feel a little "slicker" for lack of a better term and some prefer that. But understand that you are not getting rid of chlorine in a salt pool - just making it easier to keep it chlorinated.

Also, the comment about the smell suggests that you are not using enough chlorine in your pool. A properly chlorinated pool has no odor. The smell comes from chloramines - chlorine combined with nitrogen. You need to shock the pool to "burn" these off and get rid of the odor.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 AM

From what I read, while it still does chlorine, the level is much lower and it doesn't have the same effects like burning eyes or discoloration on clothes. You didn't notice this?

Here is a quote from another forum I found on Google...

"The cell uses salt in the water to generate very low levels of chlorine. While it does produce chlorine, it is undetectable in the sense you are used to....no smell, no burning, etc. While the pool contains saltwater, the level of salt is actually less than that naturally found in your eyes, so the salt is (besides the taste) in no way a problem. The water is cleaner, softer (yes, you use water softener salt), and clearer. There is no smell, no bleaching, no red eyes and no irritation. We swim the entire day with eyes open and no ill effects."

Old 05-15-2010, 11:48 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
From what I read, while it still does chlorine, the level is much lower and it doesn't have the same effects like burning eyes or discoloration on clothes. You didn't notice this?

Here is a quote from another forum I found on Google...

"The cell uses salt in the water to generate very low levels of chlorine. While it does produce chlorine, it is undetectable in the sense you are used to....no smell, no burning, etc. While the pool contains saltwater, the level of salt is actually less than that naturally found in your eyes, so the salt is (besides the taste) in no way a problem. The water is cleaner, softer (yes, you use water softener salt), and clearer. There is no smell, no bleaching, no red eyes and no irritation. We swim the entire day with eyes open and no ill effects."
Pure BS about the chlorine. You need sanitizing levels of Cl no matter what the source. The level required is the same regardless of whether it came from salt or a tablet or a powder. Red eyes, smell etc are choloramines, not "chlorine". They are from inadequate chlorination. A generator may help in keeping levels UP where they belong and that, in turn, would beneficial in the smell regard. Similarly, you won't over chlorinate with the generator as it is all pretty much constant. As for the salt, you can taste it a bit, but otherwise it does not bother you. It's really just a convenience. Don't be expecting big changes in the swimming experience from it.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:55 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
A saltwater pool still uses chlorine just as a regular chlorine pool does. The benefit is that a saltwater pool eliminates the high and low points and keeps it more constant at the correct level. This prevents some of the side effects of a regular chlorine pool that results in the smell, burning, etc.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:08 PM

253 posts, read 463,433 times
I had it done about 6 months ago, and I am much happier with the salt pool. I agree with Ponderosa about the salt taste, this is not strong enough to be objectionable though. Mine cost about about $1200 done and ready for swimming. A good place to get info on pools is

A Swimming Pool and Spa Care Forum • Trouble Free Pool

they can answer your questions.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Darrell View Post
I had it done about 6 months ago, and I am much happier with the salt pool. I agree with Ponderosa about the salt taste, this is not strong enough to be objectionable though. Mine cost about about $1200 done and ready for swimming. A good place to get info on pools is

A Swimming Pool and Spa Care Forum • Trouble Free Pool

they can answer your questions.
Why would you say you are happier with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: