Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Chandler January 5, seeking information on when to move, considering September or October, best ways to find realtor to purchase house

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:46 AM

13 posts, read 23,344 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a job in Chandler with a start date of January 5, 2009. I currently live in New York and my wife and I (along with our Great Pyrenees and cat) will be moving down shortly before that.

We are planning on flying down for a week somewhere in the coming months before moving to try to get housing and everything all set and figured out. We plan on renting for the first year or so we are there (no money for a down payment), but would like to get our own house (or at least a town house) if possible, and access to either a community pool or having our own pool is a must. The higher end of what we'd want to spend a month on rent is around $1500, but if we could do cheaper that would be better (goal is going to be to save for a down payment as quick as possible).

We're not sure what and where she is going to end up working, so somewhere with some flexibility to be able to access quite a bit of the metro area is probably best (I will note that we really like areas more on the edge of the metro area where there is a bit more space and mountainous feel, such as Gold Canyon--I don't know if we'd ever end up starting out there though since despite the fact that I could do the commute fine, it will limit her job choices a good bit).

My big questions are, what sort of time table should we be looking at for coming down? Is September or October too early? I know it seems like there is a lot of empty property down there, and I'm worried if we come down too far ahead of when we plan on moving we'll just end up looking at things that people want to rent out sooner than when we need them.

Also, what is the best way to go about getting a realtor to help you out (I know that some of you prowl this forum)? Also, is working with more than one realtor considered bad form? We really haven't narrowed down our geography too much (basically if I can get to work in around an hour or less, it's fine), so this makes things a bit more challenging.

Thanks a bunch for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 07:50 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I'd wait till mid-October as the weather dramatically improves thereafter. You should focus on Ahwatukee for now (west of I-10, south of Baseline to the reservation boundary). Has the mountain views you want, the proximity to Chandler, and is relatively well-located with respect to the rest of the city.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:20 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,287 times
I'm not sure you can rent a townhouse with your Great Pyrenees, they might have wight and size restrictions.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:33 AM

MaxPower,

I am aware of that, thus part of the reason we are probably looking more for a house rental.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
I'd come down right now just to make sure you can endure the intense summer heat. We've had high temps of 110 degrees or more all week, and you need to be sure you can handle that. Not everyone can.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:25 AM

674 posts, read 2,553,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
I'd come down right now just to make sure you can endure the intense summer heat. We've had high temps of 110 degrees or more all week, and you need to be sure you can handle that. Not everyone can.
Well, they already accepted a job offer in Chandler so sounds to me like their mind is made up.

cw, you might want to try to come down here in August if you can though so you can see for yourself.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:28 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw_zeus View Post
I have accepted a job in Chandler with a start date of January 5, 2009. I currently live in New York and my wife and I (along with our Great Pyrenees and cat) will be moving down shortly before that.

We are planning on flying down for a week somewhere in the coming months before moving to try to get housing and everything all set and figured out. We plan on renting for the first year or so we are there (no money for a down payment), but would like to get our own house (or at least a town house) if possible, and access to either a community pool or having our own pool is a must. The higher end of what we'd want to spend a month on rent is around $1500, but if we could do cheaper that would be better (goal is going to be to save for a down payment as quick as possible).

We're not sure what and where she is going to end up working, so somewhere with some flexibility to be able to access quite a bit of the metro area is probably best (I will note that we really like areas more on the edge of the metro area where there is a bit more space and mountainous feel, such as Gold Canyon--I don't know if we'd ever end up starting out there though since despite the fact that I could do the commute fine, it will limit her job choices a good bit).

My big questions are, what sort of time table should we be looking at for coming down? Is September or October too early? I know it seems like there is a lot of empty property down there, and I'm worried if we come down too far ahead of when we plan on moving we'll just end up looking at things that people want to rent out sooner than when we need them.

Also, what is the best way to go about getting a realtor to help you out (I know that some of you prowl this forum)? Also, is working with more than one realtor considered bad form? We really haven't narrowed down our geography too much (basically if I can get to work in around an hour or less, it's fine), so this makes things a bit more challenging.

Thanks a bunch for any input.
I must say, that must be some job that you got there....hired 7 months in advance?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:07 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,062 times
If you're wanting to save every penny possible for a down payment on your own place, I'd cross Gold Canyon off your list. Even with an ecno-car, the commuting costs are going to be high. Most of Chandler is a good place to live. I don't think I would look any farther east than Gilbert. You've also got Ahwatukee to consider-just west of I-10 near west Chandler.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. We were down there in early December, 2007 and took a good look around (pretty much from Apache Junction in the east, all the way through Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, and Chandler, to Ahwatukee and then north through Scottsdale, into Fountain Hills and Cave Creek). Ahwatukee seemed like a nice place and is definitely a possibility. Somewhere like Fountain Hills was absolutely incredible, but didn't seem compatible with our budget or my commute by any means. I never got a chance to look at Maricopa, or any of the places west on I10 from Chandler (but it seems like those commutes are a bad idea from what I've read).

We should be okay with the heat. We both hate humidity and vastly prefer the idea of Arizona over anything like Florida or Texas. I am switching from my GMC Envoy coming off lease that I relied on to get me through the snow up here for something along the lines of a GTI or Clubman S to have better fuel economy for commuting since I won't need a truck anymore.

I'm really highly specialized and finishing up my doctorate, thus why I have everything lined up so far ahead of time. It's nice in some ways in that I can plan things out really well, but then it also gives me more time to stress out about everything, so it has it's pluses and minuses.

Again, thanks so far, and anymore advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially about my questions concerning using multiple realtors and timing of our visit.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw_zeus View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. We were down there in early December, 2007 and took a good look around (pretty much from Apache Junction in the east, all the way through Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, and Chandler, to Ahwatukee and then north through Scottsdale, into Fountain Hills and Cave Creek). Ahwatukee seemed like a nice place and is definitely a possibility. Somewhere like Fountain Hills was absolutely incredible, but didn't seem compatible with our budget or my commute by any means. I never got a chance to look at Maricopa, or any of the places west on I10 from Chandler (but it seems like those commutes are a bad idea from what I've read).

We should be okay with the heat. We both hate humidity and vastly prefer the idea of Arizona over anything like Florida or Texas. I am switching from my GMC Envoy coming off lease that I relied on to get me through the snow up here for something along the lines of a GTI or Clubman S to have better fuel economy for commuting since I won't need a truck anymore.

I'm really highly specialized and finishing up my doctorate, thus why I have everything lined up so far ahead of time. It's nice in some ways in that I can plan things out really well, but then it also gives me more time to stress out about everything, so it has it's pluses and minuses.

Again, thanks so far, and anymore advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially about my questions concerning using multiple realtors and timing of our visit.
well in that case, congrats!!! one thing about the vehicle, do not get the VW GTI! I'd recommend something like Honda Civic, accord, toyota camry or corolla. Much much much more reliable than GTI and maintenance costs are slightly less than the VW! VW's maintenance costs are equivalent of German counterpart Audi or BMW...Japanese parts are more readily available, not to mention mechanics! Good luck with everything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area