Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,747 times

Advertisements

We are a Canadian couple who will be in the Phoenix area this summer to look for a home to purchase. We will eventually spend 6 months in Arizona and 6 months back home. We are interested in the areas just north of Phoenix, and will be buying in a gated or non gated community. The communities I am interested in are Westbrook in Peoria, Marley Park, AZ Traditions, Sun Village in Surprise, Litchfield Park in GoodYear, Estrella Mountain Ranch, Sun City Festival in Buckeye, Sun City Grand, and Corte Bella near Peoria. Does anyone have any suggestions about the gated communities with too much policing. I don't mind it if it is gated, as long as it is not too restrictive. The other question I had was about the winter temperatures. Someone told me that Surprise is a little cool in the winter. We will be spending the winter months in Arizona, and would hope that the temperature is not too cool. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone familiar with the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:08 PM

87 posts, read 298,506 times
I'll take the last question first... Surprise, having been out a ways from the Phoenix Metro Urban area has always been a little cooler, both in winter and summer. However, with all the developments, both residential and commercial, the difference is narrowing. But even before the growth, the difference was generally on five degrees or less.
As to restrictions in Gated communities (I assume you mean the HOA rules, which sometimes exist in non-gated also) this is very dependent on the individual. Generally the restrictions do promote a well cared for community, but there is a degree of freedom given up. If your in to vegetable gardening, or other outside hobbies, check the community rules to see if they are permitted. Make sure there is adequate resident and visitor parking, as vehicle restrictions are always a source of problems. Also, make sure it's an established community with stable ownership. Recently many communities are suffering from HOA dues collection problems, which can cause budget issues, curtailment of services, and disgruntled residents. It's a very individual preference thing, but check everything out in detail before buying. Good luck, and happy winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area