Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Phoenix: finance major, job market, IT experience, transplant, masters degree.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 PM

219 posts, read 779,127 times

Advertisements

It irks me when I read the incessant whining about how every job here is low paying, and there aren't any real jobs here. I was almost scared out of searching for jobs here based on many of the comments I read here, along with even family and friends who told me I, being a finance major, couldn't make much of a living here. For whatever reason Phoenix gets the reputation of having a relatively poor job market; both in terms of pay, and variety of opportunities available to make a living.

Being only 23, and 1 year removed from college, many said I would be lucky to make 35k out here, and the hoards of posts about jobs only paying $10 an hour, could have easily deterred me - but didn't.

I began my job search, and was overwhelmed with the sheer amount of opportunities available, for a young professional such as myself, and even the pay. Finance jobs, as well as accounting and other business-related professions, IT, nursing, etc, offered far more money than I would have thought possible for Phoenix, based on opinions of others. I noticed many jobs, with only 3 years experience that payed $65k, and with no experience paying $45k. I landed a position paying roughly $50k with less than a year experience. While not a ton of money, this pay is very comparable to what other big east coast cities were paying. However, with a much lower cost of living, particularly housing, I am in gratitude of the quality of life Phoenix has offered a young professional, such as myself. It just appears, Phoenix is a city that rewards those who are either accomplished or possess an advanced degree and does not carelessly throw money around at you (but then again what city does?)

The point I am getting at, is instead of bashing Phoenix for low-paying jobs; A). Be grateful that they even exist, and B). naturally higher-paying jobs go to people that either possess an advanced degree or possess a valuable skill. Those who only make $10 hour, this is not the fault of Phoenix' economy, but rather a lack of a specialized skill or degree on that person's apart. And, don't be swayed by those who make such comments; they are probably just bitter because they make such little money, and prefer to blame it on the state of Phoenix' job market, rather than on themselves.

I, personally, can't wait for many other motivated and accomplished individuals to see Phoenix as a land of opportunity - and the trend is looking increasingly positive, despite what the naysayers will claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 11:05 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,229 times
I am VERY happy in Phoenix and always have been!

I know many people who do not make a lot of money in the job market and I know many people who do. Those who do not make a whole lot I have never heard complain. These are folks that I know personally. Not everyone complains and I don't want you think you're alone! Those that are successful I've heard give thanks.

My husband and I are very happy in Phoenix and I am a transplant myself and actually I made more money when I moved here so for me, I never did complain. I totally agree w/ you.

The grass was greener here for me and I sure am glad it is for you! Good for you and best wishes! I hope you enjoy your new job!

Last edited by Prinny; 07-01-2008 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: addition comments

Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,355,517 times
My wife landed a $70k a year job here within three weeks of arriving with no interviews lined up at all beforehand. Sure wish I had her luck.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
I started out as a headhunter early in my career. It was my first job out of college and it's what brought me to Phoenix from Cali originally. We had several job openings but the local talent pool was weak. Nearly all of our placements were made from out of state candidates. We preferred local candidates. Local candidates were easier to place because companies didn't have to pay for relocation costs and a local candidate had more flexibility in regards to interviewing. Despite our desire to place local candidates, there were barely any qualified candidates. It was kind of sad because companies didn't flinch at paying relocation costs because they had no other choice if they wanted qualified people. The best local candidates were ASU graduates who interned and worked their way up in a company they started out but outside of them,the rest of the locals were a mix who lacked experience or were in completely different fields. Many of them had bachelors or masters from University of Phoenix with no relevant job experience and thought those degrees by themselves qualified them; that was so typical. So it's fair to say I'm skeptical when I hear people say there are no jobs in Phoenix.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-02-2008 at 12:42 AM..

Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 AM

219 posts, read 779,127 times
I did notice Arizona employers were extremely hesistant to interview somebody, such as myself, from out of state. I guess this has to do with potential candidates deciding Arizona isn't for them and then moving back or having to wait for relocation. I applied to about 70 companies and heard back from about 5, despite feeling qualified for most of them. Many of them admitted they were only looking at local candidates...and this is wrong. I feel as if people from out of state can contribute to the diversity of workforce and are often just as qualified as Arizona residents.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:02 AM

13 posts, read 42,875 times
NytoPhx, what you say is great, and I'm glad there's a growing number of folks like you out here. It shows that with determination, you can find some higher paying career opportunities out there.

I disagree that PHX has a great quality of life. The state's education system is lagging, the local economy is in a recession (the nation is not in a recession), and beyond having some cool mountains to look at (when you can see them on non-Code Orange days), there aren't a whole lot of attributes that make PHX great and unique. Things are convenient and affordable, but can't you say the same for just about every suburban city outside of the Northeast?

The problem is, PHX still remains a low wage paying area with an economy too reliant on leisure, service, and real estate. Supporting evidence: the Valley's largest employer is Walmart. This may be great when the economy is strong, but isn't so when the inevitable cycle is down. PHX can do more to develop a diversified economy and the consequential higher wages.

Bottomline is, if wages are your thing, you can find a well paying job just about anywhere in this country if you're willing to work and learn for it.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:03 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
I agree...I was offered only one job that pays more than my Phoenix salary and that was in Seattle. I applied in Chicago, NYC, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, Minneapolis, and Boston. I interviewed in each location during the winter LOL, which also put Phoenix at the top of the list to begin with (and most of my family are native to Arizona).

Even though I am from the Seattle area and ABSOLUTELY love it, I wasn't comfortable with the company that offered more money. My bach and mba are international business and the company I applied for wanted me to work with their Japanese office (even though I applied for the German associated branch). However, there German office was SMALL compared to the size of my Phoenix office...hundreds of people smaller, LOL. I told them I DO NOT speak Japanese and would feel uncomfortable trying to fit in to that culture knowing little about it. They pressured me to come aboard because of a lack of qualified candidates. It just didn't seem wise and the 5,000 a year more probably wouldn't of made up for it nor the extraordinary expense of living in Seattle.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:07 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
I did notice Arizona employers were extremely hesistant to interview somebody, such as myself, from out of state. I guess this has to do with potential candidates deciding Arizona isn't for them and then moving back or having to wait for relocation. I applied to about 70 companies and heard back from about 5, despite feeling qualified for most of them. Many of them admitted they were only looking at local candidates...and this is wrong. I feel as if people from out of state can contribute to the diversity of workforce and are often just as qualified as Arizona residents.

That's because they think someone is coming here for a vacation or to see friends, get the whole thing paid for by going on an interview, and having a company pay the airfare, car, hotel, meals, et al.
Many have been ripped off, and people even show up for the interview to get it paid for.
Those thieves ruin it for everyone else.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbassnasty View Post
NytoPhx, what you say is great, and I'm glad there's a growing number of folks like you out here. It shows that with determination, you can find some higher paying career opportunities out there.

I disagree that PHX has a great quality of life. The state's education system is lagging, the local economy is in a recession (the nation is not in a recession), and beyond having some cool mountains to look at (when you can see them on non-Code Orange days), there aren't a whole lot of attributes that make PHX great and unique. Things are convenient and affordable, but can't you say the same for just about every suburban city outside of the Northeast?

The problem is, PHX still remains a low wage paying area with an economy too reliant on leisure, service, and real estate. Supporting evidence: the Valley's largest employer is Walmart. This may be great when the economy is strong, but isn't so when the inevitable cycle is down. PHX can do more to develop a diversified economy and the consequential higher wages.

Bottomline is, if wages are your thing, you can find a well paying job just about anywhere in this country if you're willing to work and learn for it.
Its people like you who that allow the myths of Phoenix to continue to wrongly live on. Phoenix has a higher median and per capita income level than NYC and Boston, higher than Chicago, Dallas, Houston and Atlanta and on and on. Phoenix schools out perform the nation as a whole and Arizona's economy is also not in a recession like the nation only in a slump. The state economy is growing faster than the national average and is still among the fastest growing. What is hurting is the real estate and mortgage industries. Here are some links for you to educate yourself on the reality of Phoenix. I ALMOST get tired of posting these fun facts...

$46,480
Median household income for New York. The national median was $48,451

$47,974
Median household income for Boston. This is not significantly different from the national median of $48,451.

$47,265
Median household income for Arizona. In the Phoenix metro area, the median was $51,862, and in Glendale, it was $48,455. The national median was $48,451. (Glendale was not significantly different from the national median.)
US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/011342.html - broken link)
When looking at school performance at Arizona, one must take into account the dynamics are work with school rankings. Arizona uses one of the most stingent forms or self-evaluation and include schools on Indian Reservation (no other state does). Schools perform bad in Arizona because of the huge migrant population of illegal hispanics (which may soon change due to laws). Those student place horribly in ALL test given because of a lack of basic education from

were they came and from knowing very little proper English. Your average American kid (white, black, hispanic, asian, etc.) in Arizona is not failing like those groups that bring down ratings of AZ schools. And remember, Phoenix area schools actually out perform the rest of the rural state and schools on poor indian reservations and in poor rural counties. Mesa PS has the highest graduation rate in the nation and many Phoenix schools have average SAT test scores that are above the national average. Some more info:

"Both North and North Canyon high schools made Newsweek's 2007 list of the top 1,351 high schools in the country, based on how well schools prepare students to excel in college. Also on the list: Paradise Valley's Pinnacle, Scottsdale's Chaparral and Desert Mountain, Glendale Union's Sunnyslope, and Chandler's Hamilton and Chandler High. "
List of schools with exceptional academic programs

"Greater Phoenix schools rank above national average
An important issue for residents in any location is the quality of education. The table below shows
the high school and unified districts that serve GPEC’s member cities. Arizona schools have[/SIZE]
adopted a new program that focuses on raising standards, requiring more discipline and[/SIZE]
expecting greater achievement.[/SIZE]
A statewide dropout prevention program was established in 1987[/SIZE]
In 1987, high school graduation requirements in math and science were also[/SIZE]
strengthened[/SIZE]
•The majority of Greater Phoenix school districts rank well above national averages on[/SIZE]
standardized achievement tests[/SIZE]
A number of the districts offer extensive “magnet” and other programs to help keep[/SIZE]
education relevant and interesting[/SIZE]
These districts provide specialized courses in career and vocational fields, articulating [/SIZE]
programs with the community colleges[/SIZE]
Magnet programs include: aeronautics and aerospace, visual arts, performing arts,[/SIZE]
agribusiness, computer studies, international baccalaureate, applied science and [/SIZE]
engineering, and 21st century leadership[/SIZE]"

http://www.surpriseaz.com/common/mod...w.asp?DID=2065 (http://www.surpriseaz.com/common/modules/documentcenter2/documentview.asp?DID=2065 - broken link)

Old 07-02-2008, 02:18 AM

As for the "code orange" advisories, Phoenix had 2 last year in May. This year we've also had 2...in May. Phoenix air quality is actually very clean, despite its size. It has the 16th CLEANEST air for particulate matter and not in the 10 worst in the nation for short-term ozone (smog) pollution. Places like Houston and Beaumont, TX, cities in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Louisianna...well here, just look for yourself:

American Lung Association:*Air Pollution Facts & Air Quality Info - Best & Worst Cities - ALA State of the Air 2007 (http://lungaction.org/reports/sota07_cities.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area