Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2007, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 23,736 times

Advertisements

We are just in the infancy of our search into tempe. My company moves out there in August. We have family in peoria, We have a 1 yr old boy and a 6yr old girl. We will immediately be looking to rent, with thoughts of buying a house in the not so distant future. My biggest concern is the cost of living and the HEAT. Of course the heat is why my wife wants to move to arizona in the first place. Anyway we have already ruled out scottsdale as a place to live but she is looking there for work. She is a massage therapist in our comparable Highlands Ranch. We are in our mid twentys she has spent alot of time in Phoenix area, The only time I was there was to visit a friend at ASU when I was in college. I am just trying to get as much Info as possible before I visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 11:14 PM

218 posts, read 1,487,051 times
Best advice is to live close to where you'll work. If you commute from one side of the city to the other, be prepared for an hour to an hour and a half each direction daily. The greater Phoenix area has many great neighborhoods, including Tempe, if that is the burb your company is locating to - look at it's neighborhoods closely. Best of luck and welcome to AZ! Try not to be moving in during monsoon season - July to Sept - as you just might find yourself and your belongings drenched in a downpour.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:16 AM

14 posts, read 75,203 times
Yes I agree with Idaho's suggestion.. Live close to where you work- The traffic is getting so bad with all the people moving to Phoenix area.. Traffic can be a real pain! The heat is a pain but its only about 4 months out of the year where its over 100 and then you have about 8 months of beautiful weather- And in the summer everything is air conditioned so it isn't that bad.. Other then the air conditioning bill Good luck!

Old 01-14-2007, 08:52 PM

178 posts, read 601,925 times
I think you would probably be happy in Tempe. Its a down-to-earth, friendly area... very youthful (obvious ASU influence) and if you are able to find a home near ASU, I have heard that the public elementary school near ASU is one of the best (supposedly because so many ASU professors who live near campus are active and invested in the school). The downtown area is a great place to walk, shop, have coffee, play in a fountain, etc. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2007, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,192 times
Stay away from North Tempe and South Scottsdale!
Those areas have been nothing but urban blight for the past 20 years.
I realize Tempe is trying to go upscale in the north part, but in my honest opinion, it will be the typical "grape in a bowl of raisins" syndrome that affects most of the PHX metro area anymore.
South Tempe is nice though just don't go too far west.
It all really depends on where your compnay is going to relocate to and how willing you are to suffer through miserable traffic.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area