U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 12:50 AM

16 posts, read 58,444 times

Advertisements

Considering taking a job in the Cave Creek School District. I was considering living in North Scottsdale area as it is fairly close to the school (approximately 10 to 15 miles in range).

My most important criteria are price and safety. I'm hoping to rent a single bedroom apartment for no more than $850, though I would hope to find something in the $700 range. I don't want to live in a dump with a bunch of loud, college kids or sketchy people who break into cars (I'm 33 years old).

I know there are some really nice places in the the Kierland area, that are in the $900 price range. Nice places, and they have great specials (like 2 months of free rent if you sign a 13 month lease), but that's still a bit more than I would like to spend. I don't mind if the apartment is a bit smaller or if it is not super flashy and new (though most apartments out there are fairly new).

Just wanted to get an idea from people if it is possible to find a relatively nice and safe place in this area (north scottsdale) and within this price range. If so, any recommendations? I know there are some other places nearby such as Desert Ridge that are supposed to be nice (the shade?). I've seen them. Personally, I think they look kind of tacky but I hear they are nice and not too pricey. Somewhere in that area would also be OK. When I use to live in the valley, I know some people lived in apartments directly next to Paradise Valley Mall that seemed OK as well (as far as safety and price range). Thanks for reading this.

p.s. - i've seen some of the other threads about apartments in north scottsdale, but wanted to get more input from people about my price range being realistic or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 01:29 AM

3,632 posts, read 15,433,476 times
The apartments in N. Scottsdale will be newer and more expensive as it's a desirable area to live. I used to live in many apartments in N. Scottsdale and NE Phx and would guess that a nice one bedroom would be at least $900.

The PV Mall area is probably your best bet price wise. I grew up right there and also rented a nice apt there as an adult (but it went condo). Almost all of the apts there are from the 80's, so they are a bit cheaper, though some more than others. It's still a desirable area to live so it will be higher than say other areas of Phx. However, they will not be comparable to N. Scottsdale apts by ANY means.

The thing about getting an apt with a couple of months free rent is that I've always had them pro-rate it over the course of the lease. I've been able to get into some really nice places because of this. Ask if they will do that. Some will and some won't.

Check out any remaining apt complexes (some went condo - which was extremely popular a few years ago) at the intersection of 56th Street and Bell rd. It's N. Scottsdale and a VERY nice area. You might have some luck there.

Keep checking specials and see what you can find. If I remember right, the summer is slower (who wants to move in a 110 degrees?), and that's when they have specials.

Basically, I don't think you'll find ANYTHING for $700 in N. Scottsdale, except a room for rent. If there were nice apts for that price in N. Scottsdale, everyone would live there.

Also, you WILL meet people in this area that have had their cars broken into or stolen. It's the ONLY place in the valley that I had my car broken into 2-3 times AND stolen!! There are nice things in Scottsdale and the crooks know that. Keep an eye on your car.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,958,022 times
In this north area, I think you are looking at minimum $850-900. And unless you find a small dumpy privately owned complex, you arent going to see $700 rent. Tho if you can find a $900/month that gives "1 month off pro-rated" (which a LOT of complexes do so make sure to ask if they are running any specials) you are in your price range and down to $825. $900 would definitely put you in the doable range in this area.

Shade is nice. On rent.com they are advertising $850 up for their smallest units, which in combination with any incentives they may be running (ie prorated discounts), may be in your range.

I think the closest you may be able to come in this area would be Bellagio at 5635 Bell. This may come in around your $850 range. They are pretty nice apartments-I visited when I was relocating here last year. There is one of the Broadstone apartments just a tad east on Bell (on same side of the road as Bellagio)-I am not sure what their going rate for a 1 BR is.

I also think that Camden San Paloma may be at the top end in your price range. This is near Shea and Scottsdale at 6980 E Sahuaro.

My niece lives at Via de Ventura apartments at Hayden & Via de Ventura. I believe her rent is in the $850 range.

As sablebaby suggested, there are a lot of apartments down around PV Mall.

PS If you can get $900 AND 2 months free prorated (or is the $900 after the prorated incentive?), Kierland is an excellent choice.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 AM

Thanks for this helpful information. I will be sure to check out the suggestions. I guess a month or two of free rent really brings down the price, so prorating is a good suggestion.

Getting your car broken into is a terrible thing. When I lived over near 19th ave and Thunderbird about 4 years ago, I had my car broken into 3 times in 9 months! It was a 91 camry, but apparently those cars are gold mines for car thiefs. I was always stunned at what they would take. A lot of obscure CDs (without cases) i.e. (Neil Young, Zuma). I guess when a car thief is addicted to meth, he or she will try to sell anything. I was fascinated by this thinking, so I went to a local pawn shop near the area to see if I could sell a bunch of crap, and I was surprised that I was able to get money. Now I have considerably upgraded my car (I've moved from a 91 camry to a 94 camry). I'm thinking about buying a 2000 camry in about 4 years. Anyways, as much as I love these cars, so do car thieves.

Was your car locked when it was stolen? Were you using an anti-theft device? I swear by the club. I used it every night religiously when I lived in Phoenix.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 AM

3,632 posts, read 15,433,476 times
I always always lock my car. No, it didn't have anything else protecting it. I've had alarms in the past but they always went haywire. I also always had nice stereos, but not anymore. The car that got stolen was all stock, but a cute little car. It was stolen at the PV Mall while we were eating dinner. We were only in there for an hour. I never got it back.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:58 PM

7,285 posts, read 15,277,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckner Fan View Post
Considering taking a job in the Cave Creek School District. I was considering living in North Scottsdale area as it is fairly close to the school (approximately 10 to 15 miles in range).

My most important criteria are price and safety. I'm hoping to rent a single bedroom apartment for no more than $850, though I would hope to find something in the $700 range. I don't want to live in a dump with a bunch of loud, college kids or sketchy people who break into cars (I'm 33 years old).

I know there are some really nice places in the the Kierland area, that are in the $900 price range. Nice places, and they have great specials (like 2 months of free rent if you sign a 13 month lease), but that's still a bit more than I would like to spend. I don't mind if the apartment is a bit smaller or if it is not super flashy and new (though most apartments out there are fairly new).

Just wanted to get an idea from people if it is possible to find a relatively nice and safe place in this area (north scottsdale) and within this price range. If so, any recommendations? I know there are some other places nearby such as Desert Ridge that are supposed to be nice (the shade?). I've seen them. Personally, I think they look kind of tacky but I hear they are nice and not too pricey. Somewhere in that area would also be OK. When I use to live in the valley, I know some people lived in apartments directly next to Paradise Valley Mall that seemed OK as well (as far as safety and price range). Thanks for reading this.

p.s. - i've seen some of the other threads about apartments in north scottsdale, but wanted to get more input from people about my price range being realistic or not.
$900 with two months off is $761/mo, unless you already figured that into the equation, so that immediately puts you in the price range. IMO, if you can pay $761 or around there, for that location, you'd like it and the deals won't get a whole lot better than that especially for the location. There are many reasons, among which the ones you've mentioned. The virtual absence of crime would be a big one.

There are three apartment complexes immediately adjacent to Kierland all managed by Lincoln Property Management and I believe they're owned by TIAA CREF. They all seem nice; my opinion is that the one on 71st street has the best location. I think all three have golf course views.

In addition to this, there are some deals on condominiums that can be found. Not because the area isn't worth money, but because there are an abundance of condominiums in that area. Most of the more reasonable condominiums would be a few blocks from the Kierland shopping area itself, but within the community. Don't expect to find a rental condominium at the Landmark (71st St), or the Kierland lofts, for a good price though.

The primary advantage to Kierland for me (I live there) is the walkability and liveability. Some people think nothing about getting into their car to go everywhere; I'm not one of those people, coming from a much more urban background. The area is very nice and there's always something going on. I suspect that Desert Ridge would be similar, but Kierland is the more upscale of the two. I guess it depends on what you want, and how much you're willing to pay for it (or not pay).

You will pay for amenities at both of the locations, simply because there are a lot of amenities at each. Better prices can be found at other places (condominiums and apartments) in North Scottsdale, but not immediately adjacent to one of the big shopping and eating areas.

Having said all of this... there are many other nice areas to live in North Scottsdale, and if you look hard enough you will find some deals. A lot of the townhomes and condominiums are less expensive than the big apartment complex "base" rates, if you look hard enough. I try to keep abreast of the rental and real estate market in the area and have seen good prices on a number of different homes and rental units. However, usually the less expensive units are less expensive because they are older, or not adjacent to amenities, etc. It's just like anywhere else, you pay for location and features. But it doesn't mean that the area is loud or riddled with crime.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:42 PM

17 posts, read 71,039 times
I just moved in a one-bedroom in N. Scottsdale on Raintree DR, it's two months free rent (pro-rated throughout the year), $82.50 move-in, --I have a cat and opted for the more expensive insurance, so Im paying 840 w/ taxes and all that.. (one-year lease) ... anyways.. they're all recently renovated --

The name is Broadstone Scottsdale Horizon.. check out their website.. it's a really nice area... I hardly see anyone who lives here.. my neighbor is exceptionally nice as well as the other one's I've met..

Old 07-20-2008, 07:08 PM

Griebelh,
Thanks for the tip. If I end up taking the job I've been offered, I'll be sure to check these out. It sounds like a good deal and I did make a phone call (to Broadstone Scottsdale Horizon). I guess that whenever I hear about apartments near the mountains (as these are), I'm concerned about scorpions. Hopefully, you haven't encountered any yet as you just moved in. When I last lived in Phoenix, I had issues with scorpions where I lived near 19th Ave and Thunderbird. Have you asked any of the tenants if they have seen any scorpions?

Also, I hear they have a 24 hour pool, but enforce "quiet hours" at night. I am skeptical about this, and envision young people partying all night poolside and making noise. Any thoughts or observations of this yet?

In Tucson, I lived in a place where everyone was 95 years old--and I loved it! nice and quiet.

Please feel free to share any additional thoughts on your experience so far at Broadstone, and thank you very much for your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area