Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 02:36 PM

147 posts, read 376,468 times

Advertisements

It looks like in this years selection of CNN/Money magazine's "Best Places to Live", the Phoenix metro area was well represented, and was noted for its increasing high quality of life throughout. In fact, the state of Arizona tied with typical heavy hitters like New York and California in terms of number of cities listed. I usually don't pay attention to these kinds polls, because frankly, I find them to be more than a little biased. But out of all the media agents that put these out every year, I find this one to be more interesting and far more comprehensive than most.

A buddy of mine at work showed me the article, which can also be found online using this link:Best places to live 2008 - States: Arizona - from MONEY Magazine

So what are your opinions and thoughts? Do you think that Phoenix is as good as Money gives us credit for, or do you find the results to be misleading and/or dissapointing? Here are just a few thoughts and ramblings of my own to get the conversation started. All opinions are welcome....

For this years #1 spot, I was suprised, to say the least, at seeing the midwest take a nice lead. Money found that Plymouth, MN (a Twin Cities suburb) to be the best overall, and boasting an excellent standard of living for its residents. To be honest I have never heard of the city, and really have no desire to ever go and really explore that area. From the looks of it though, it appears to be a fine community. Money also found the state of MN, to have cities that warranted 9 slots on its list. Of course this was almost nothing compared to Texas pulling in 13(!) cities of it's own!

Coming in second however is Ft. Collins, CO, which I'm actually very familiar with, as our office has several branches in the corridor between the city and Denver. I have always been impressed with Ft. Collins overall and would say that, at least from a visitors point of view, the city is thriving. I've only been there maybe.....five times or so, but it always seemd very clean and outdoor orienated. Two qualities that are a must for myself! I think that it is important to note that just two years ago, Ft. Collins was named the #1 place to live by the same source.

Some other cities that were included in the top ten were, (not really suprisingly though), Irvine, CA, which is an excellent, although pricey community, and (not suprisingly again), two East Coast cities were also represented. I think California in particular would have vastly more mentioned cities, but affordable real estate prices are a key factor Money took into account. Some picks that I did find interesting to research included an Oklahoma college town that I wasn't familiar with prior to reading, and a suburb from both Kansas City, and Indianapolis that rounded the list out.

As for Arizona, we were not mentioned within the top ten, but we were represented with 3/4 cities mentioned in the top 50. Money ranked Gilbert as the best place in Arizona, and just behind the likes of Ann Arbor, MI. The magazine makes mention of of Gilberts expansive residential and retail development within the past few years, and it's good schools as factors for having such a ranking. I too find Gilbert to be an excellent community and have heard very few of it's residents complain about the standard of living there. I believe that it is well deserved.

Coming in second was Chandler, which was ranked just two spots down from Gilbert. I find this interesting since both are geographically literally right next to each other as well. I have always found both to be very similar towns that are very much alike. Money sites it's reasons for so choosing Chandler as its technology corridor, and again, a huge retail presence.

I'm proud to say that once again Scottsdale again makes itself known. It ranks just a few places down from heavy hitters like Bellevue, WA, coming in at #47. Scottsdale typically comes in closer to the top, but due to high real estate, it comes in a little below this time around. Although as a resident, I can testify, that at least for central Scottsdale, the market is cooling down for the time being. Money still notes Scottsdale's upscale shopping, dining, excellent golf opportunities, and nightlife, as reasons for inclusion. Typically this array of ammenities is usually found in very elite communities, or in much larger cities.

Coming in fourth is Peoria, which I myself am not too familiar with, but hear good things about all the time. A grid system, new development, and open space are three key factors that Money looked at with Peoria. I have heard nothing but postive remarks about Peoria's wonderful master planned communities, and look forward to seeing it's future progress.

So what are your thoughts......?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 06:18 PM

23 posts, read 79,338 times
3 in the top 50. zero in the top ten. i wouldn't be boasting.

then again, who cares? while the rankings offer some insight, it all depends on what variables are important to you. personally, i wouldn't consider any of the "top ten" places highly desirable.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:23 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
The results don't surprise me. Despite the loud naysayers who are drawn to this board like flies to honey, quality of life is generally pretty good in the Phoenix Metro Area. The one issue I have with the survey is that it views each municipality separately, regardless of whether it's a small town in the middle of the countryside or one of many suburbs in a large metro area. Obviously, places like Gilbert, Peoria, Scottsdale, etc. fall into the latter category.

The problem with this approach is that reinforces the incorrect notion, often held by visitors to this board, that each of these places in a standalone community. In actuality, they all blend seamlessly into one another and their fates are joined as components of one region. I think someone who doesn't know better might read the survey, not understand that, and then think only in terms of one suburb without adequately understanding that they might live in one community, work in another, and shop in yet another. Likewise, I think that classifying each suburb separately might lead to the incorrect impression that living outside Phoenix city limits magically insulates one from "big city" problems.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 PM

147 posts, read 376,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
The results don't surprise me. Despite the loud naysayers who are drawn to this board like flies to honey, quality of life is generally pretty good in the Phoenix Metro Area. The one issue I have with the survey is that it views each municipality separately, regardless of whether it's a small town in the middle of the countryside or one of many suburbs in a large metro area. Obviously, places like Gilbert, Peoria, Scottsdale, etc. fall into the latter category.

The problem with this approach is that reinforces the incorrect notion, often held by visitors to this board, that each of these places in a standalone community. In actuality, they all blend seamlessly into one another and their fates are joined as components of one region. I think someone who doesn't know better might read the survey, not understand that, and then think only in terms of one suburb without adequately understanding that they might live in one community, work in another, and shop in yet another. Likewise, I think that classifying each suburb separately might lead to the incorrect impression that living outside Phoenix city limits magically insulates one from "big city" problems.
Very good point!! Thanks for the response. I too feel that it is hard to really compare suburban cities like Gilbert, to others that are not much smaller part of a greater metro area. I believe that the reason why Gilbert and Chandler were so closely related was because, as you already stated, they are very much the same city. Not to say that this is a bad thing of course. I tend to see this feeling of seperation quite often in Scottsdale. I personally live, work, and play in the city, and do not venture into Phoenix or Tempe more than once a week at the most. But there is no doubt that without Phoenix, there would have never been what we now enjoy. I understand this, but I can see how these types of lists can lead people astray. All of the suburbs of Phoenix are very much intertwined with each other, and the future prospects of one usually affect the others in one way or another.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:44 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Nice! Glad to see it and hope it improves our housing market. Thanks for sharring it Sunset!

Last edited by twiggy; 07-20-2008 at 10:56 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,320,435 times
The quality of life here in the Valley is quite good ~ not a surprise to those of us that know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area