Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:55 PM

56 posts, read 128,223 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a house which I took possession of on Friday. My real estate agent has been a nightmare the whole way, missing deadlines to file paperwork (which cost me money), and now I think she might not have submitted the paperwork for our home warranty.

The house is only two years old and has never been lived in, but when I tried to start up the air condition on Saturday I could make the fan and unit run but no cold air is coming out. The inspector, who my real estate agent picked, gave the unit a great review and I had no reason to doubt him as it's only two years old. I've called him and her this weekend but neither has returned my calls.

These things are just a few of the more minor problems I've had with her. You should read the emails she sends. She doesn't know the difference between their, there or they're. She doesn't know when to use the word too or other words and misspells words she must use every day like appraisal. If you're a poor speller, use the spell check...it's free.

My question is if she didn't send in the paperwork for the home warranty, if I purchase one tomorrow, will they cover my air conditioner? Who can I complain to about her? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Call her broker.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:31 PM

56 posts, read 128,223 times
Hey Barb,

She's the branch manager so who should I contact? Are you a real estate agent? Also, I'm still pissed she basically made me feel guilty until I signed a paper saying I wouldn't work with anyone else.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:39 PM

27 posts, read 65,991 times
you do realize that realtors are like attorneys in that they have fiscal responsibility for their actions. If she cost you money SHE CAN BE SUED FOR MALPRACTICE. I am an ex realtor because I saw the crud that some Realtors do back in 1988 during the last repub recession.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:42 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
She still has someone above her, which should be the designated broker.

One thing that we did before buying our home was turn on the AC and heat (and ALL other appliances - even the garbage disposal, which didn't work) for a while to make sure it worked and sounded good. We were also at the inspection the whole time the inspector was here. I was here because I was our agent, but also because this is the biggest purchase in both of our lives so far, so I wanted to make sure everything was looked at.

I went through 6 agents in one month before deciding that I was going to act as my own agent (had been an agent before). There are a lot of them out there that should not be doing this for a living. I was not going to let someone idiot be in charge of such an important task. This sounds like a learning lesson for you. In the future you will know what to look for.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:44 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
Actually the Title Agency isn't supposed to close escrow until all the terms of the contract have been met. So, if it had been agreed upon that the seller was to provide a home warranty, then that should have been done before escrow closed. Your contract should say who was responsible for ordering the home warranty (it may have been the seller's agent).

At any rate, I'd probably call the title company and see if that was done before closing. The title agency should be able to give you the answer.

Also, not everybody returns phone calls on the weekend. Hopefully the inspector and your agent call you back on Monday and can clarify things for you.

Anyway, hope you're agent and the inspector aren't two busy too return you're fone calls so you want have two contact they're supervisors. (Darned spellcheck anyway! )

Old 07-20-2008, 09:49 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Anyway, hope you're agent and the inspector aren't two busy too return you're fone calls so you want have two contact they're supervisors. (Darned spellcheck anyway! )
lol, you had me for a minute there. I was thinking "oh no, not you too!"

Old 07-20-2008, 09:59 PM

93 posts, read 305,518 times
Did you perform a final walk through before signing docs per Line 264 on Purchase Contract. Unless the As-Is Addendum was used, seller warrants a.c per line 164 of P.C.
THey won't cover pre-existing, they very seldom cover anything.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:59 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote: PhxBuckeye...My real estate agent has been a nightmare the whole way, missing deadlines to file paperwork (which cost me money), and now I think she might not have submitted the paperwork for our home warranty.

Sounds exactly like the same one who we had, until we fired her. What a dingbat. She's what gives realtors a bad name.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:34 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
So sorry to hear this. I know what it's like to trust and then find out you should really not trust anyone. Her inspector and most are not that good. If they work for agents they are walking a fine line and trying not to notice something that would prevent sale.
I learned the hard way to do these things yourself, you don't need a middle man. You are entitled to your home warrenty regardless of turning in the paper work or not. Call the warrenty company and ask for the forms yourself. Fill them out and send them in. Also when did you purchase the home? There is a certain timeline for issues like this. And that inspector, call his butt up and ask why he didn't check the ac. That was his job and i would make him pay for what he missed. Say you would not have bought it with a ac problem. You should send it in writing, with your ac repair reciept, as well and make sure it's sent in trackable form.

Listen, warrenty companies are not that great, and like was mentioned before don't cover much. They hire the cheapest guys and can end up costing you more than you would have paid for the right diag. the first time out. I'll pm you a great ac guy. I'm in the business and he is the only one I will let touch my ac. He is good, cheap, and honest. I have saved many a friends wallet with him.

Good insurance beats out a warrenty everytime. Make sure it covers slab leaks, storm damage, and personal loss.
A tech who works with your warrenty company has to find more wrong (even if it's not) to recoup the money the warrenty company doesn't pay. It's just how it is. So either way your paying something. Just forget it and save a little budget for repairs and check out and get good numbers for ac, plumbing, electrical, etc. You will be glad in the long run.
And next time, hire your own inspector. Don't ever use the one recommended by the real estate agent. He gets his jobs from her, he makes her happy, not you. Comprende?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area