Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:31 PM

51 posts, read 180,288 times

Advertisements

What is the deal with all of these tiny patches of grass in everyone's yard? It must take insane amounts of water to keep it alive... isn't that such a waste? And most of them are so small....seriously what's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew2773 View Post
What is the deal with all of these tiny patches of grass in everyone's yard? It must take insane amounts of water to keep it alive... isn't that such a waste? And most of them are so small....seriously what's the point?

Good point, actually.

Just about as soon as the grass is planted, the desert sets out to kill it!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:18 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Yep.

Don't see too many folks in Michigan trying a "Desert Landscape".

They may wish they were here in January though.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:50 PM

641 posts, read 2,366,324 times
I planted grass where I live. There is so much dust out here, that I was having asthma attacks daily. Having kids, and a dirt yard did not fare well. Had to mop daily. now the ground holds down water, and there is less dust in the house.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 PM

2,786 posts, read 7,448,732 times
I had synthetic grass installed in my backyard several months ago. It provides a soft play area for my offspring, requires no water, needs minimal maintenance, and looks great. In my opinion, the best justification for grass, whether real or artificial, is for the benefit of children. I don't think real grass just for ornamental purposes is a worthwhile use of water.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
My HOA mandates grass in the front yard, in summer and in winter. Can't have desert landscaping in this subdivision. The water is reclaimed, so it isn't too expensive. Just a bear to mow when its 110 outside.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:31 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times
My parents do not live an in HOA but they do have a Neighborhood Committee which CANNOT set any rules; however, they make agreements and help keep the neighborhood clean. They also use reclaimed water much like the golf courses in Phoenix to water their yards. Reclaimed water is not connected to drinking water but is captured in many ways and stored underground in tanks for use with landscaping.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:11 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
My HOA mandates grass in the front yard, in summer and in winter. Can't have desert landscaping in this subdivision. The water is reclaimed, so it isn't too expensive. Just a bear to mow when its 110 outside.
Nice, what subdivision. I love grass...the way it looks as well as it's cooling effect.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:46 PM

30 posts, read 249,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
I had synthetic grass installed in my backyard several months ago. It provides a soft play area for my offspring, requires no water, needs minimal maintenance, and looks great. In my opinion, the best justification for grass, whether real or artificial, is for the benefit of children. I don't think real grass just for ornamental purposes is a worthwhile use of water.
I think you are pulling our leg. I don't know anyone with children that calls them "offspring" or any one with children that lets them play on that stuff in the summer sun. It gets 20-30 degrees hotter than the ambient tempature Thats no fun.

It does not matter what type of L/S you have most peoel are equal oppertunity water wasters.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 AM

2,786 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgardener View Post
I think you are pulling our leg. I don't know anyone with children that calls them "offspring" or any one with children that lets them play on that stuff in the summer sun. It gets 20-30 degrees hotter than the ambient tempature Thats no fun.

It does not matter what type of L/S you have most peoel are equal oppertunity water wasters.
Interesting reply. I don't care what others call their children; sometimes I like to say "offspring." Our artificial turf is shaded by several trees and therefore stays quite comfortable even on hot days. I don't know what "L/S" means, so I can't even begin to address your other point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area