Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,954,543 times

Advertisements

I'd like to be somewhere warm with a beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,751 times
I moved here 17 years ago from Boston on purpose.... No natural disasters and no snow were the clinchers for me. I will stay here till I'm dust. My hubby of 14 years was born here....he likes Seattle and parts of Colorado. Those places are very nice, but I told him you don't have to shovel the heat and wear so many clothes that you can't walk right and remember when your Mom said to stop making a face because it might freeze that way....she wasn't lying. I also told him he could go and live anywhere he wants.....just send the check here. I think if I absolutely had no other choice and had to live elsewhere, then I would have to pick San Diego.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:13 AM

702 posts, read 2,295,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
We'll be calling the good ol' Arid Zone our home forever, until the end of time, eternity, infinity, and beyond.
That's great - until the water's gone. I foresee a huge problem with the most basic of necessities in the near future: water. The same demise is going to affect all the big SW cities. I spent 3 years in the smelly pressure cooker that is Phoenix and I've dreaded the few times I've returned to visit.

Ask anyone who recommends things to do or places to see if they visit PHX and they are all many miles away from the Valley of the Scum (Sedona, Flag, White Mtns)

Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
That's great - until the water's gone. I foresee a huge problem with the most basic of necessities in the near future: water. The same demise is going to affect all the big SW cities. I spent 3 years in the smelly pressure cooker that is Phoenix and I've dreaded the few times I've returned to visit.

Ask anyone who recommends things to do or places to see if they visit PHX and they are all many miles away from the Valley of the Scum (Sedona, Flag, White Mtns)
Home is where the heart is.........

Most likely where you live now many of us would pick apart as well.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:14 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,182 times
Well, goodness, you all picked apart my dream like a couple of crows.
Still have to give it a try. You only live once, and I just have a thing for the east coast and New England. I have no doubt it will be different and I might move back in a year, but a persons got to try what feels right don't they?
I have 2 teens that are dead set on living in NYC, and I love to travel back and forth to France, so the location for me in good. Maybe I will "Cape Cod" it for awhile and see how it compares. I do admit to knowing I will freeze my patootie off the first few winta's
but I will also be downing lobsta and walkin a beach and writing a novel so maybe it will even out. Don't forget, I like winter sports, especially cross country skiing with my hubby, so I might just enjoy the freeze.
All of your plans sound wonderful to me. You never know, I might be back in my old age, this is the place to be when you get passed 70. Or maybe I will party with those Miamiers. They seem to have fun, and my husband would look great in his 70's all greased up for the beach with a huge chain of "bling" around his neck!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:44 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,221,838 times
Don't listen to their negativity, Twiggy. Like I said, spring can be beautiful in New England. Of course it rains in spring, (April showers bring May flowers ); obviously there aren't entire states full of mud and flooding. (That is so silly I didn't even bother to reply to it.) It's really neat to see crocus popping their pretty little heads out of the snow and there is something about the smell of spring that is exhilirating. Between that and watching everything green up at winter's end, it can make one feel very alive.

Again, despite the negative postings, there is indeed good skiing in New England. There are some fine beaches and plenty of water activities for summer, although the season is all too short. Lobster is plentiful and inexpensive, too. You then have autumn and the changing/falling leaves. I don't think I've seen the latter more spectacular anywhere else.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:58 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
I Am sure at some point I will be back In the Ohio or Kentucky area, but, just like AJ if I could only win that Power ball when its up mega millions I am not against snowbirding in Carmel or Monterey and having the biggest house on the street in my hometown of Louisville
Yea, but no snowbirding for me! Over the last couple years when I felt the need to torture myself, I found several 800sqft, 70+ year old houses inside 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach for the low, low price of 900k to 1.1 mil. Hell, I could make do with a good sized tent and a Coleman stove there. Maybe do some supper time dumpster diving at Mr. Eastwood's place to get me through the last week of the month before my check comes in.

The three things I would miss most about Arizona are the heat, walking out my front door and seeing Camelback Mtn, which I haven't been able to do since 1995 anyway, and walking into my back yard and seeing the Superstition Mtns, which I'm going to do right now. Be back in a bit.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 AM

419 posts, read 1,525,086 times
I will probably retire in Canada, maybe Vancouver, around 2040. I will be there because around 2020, I will have joined many Americans looking for a better life, and Canada was the closest first-world country with opportunity, and we cross the border en masse to escape the corruption and poverty of the US.

Actually, I HOPE to not be in PHX, but high country AZ sounds nice, like Prescott or Sedona. The Carolina coast would also be nice.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I will probably retire in Canada, maybe Vancouver, around 2040. I will be there because around 2020, I will have joined many Americans looking for a better life, and Canada was the closest first-world country with opportunity, and we cross the border en masse to escape the corruption and poverty of the US.

Actually, I HOPE to not be in PHX, but high country AZ sounds nice, like Prescott or Sedona. The Carolina coast would also be nice.
Ha ha, you remind me of someone, oh yeah, myself. ha ha

Old 07-25-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Don't listen to their negativity, Twiggy. Like I said, spring can be beautiful in New England. Of course it rains in spring, (April showers bring May flowers ); obviously there aren't entire states full of mud and flooding. (That is so silly I didn't even bother to reply to it.) It's really neat to see crocus popping their pretty little heads out of the snow and there is something about the smell of spring that is exhilirating. Between that and watching everything green up at winter's end, it can make one feel very alive.

Again, despite the negative postings, there is indeed good skiing in New England. There are some fine beaches and plenty of water activities for summer, although the season is all too short. Lobster is plentiful and inexpensive, too. You then have autumn and the changing/falling leaves. I don't think I've seen the latter more spectacular anywhere else.
Hey CheyDee, you should be a writer. I could almost see, smell and taste what you were talking about. Thanks

I think I will be narrow minded and just listen to you. lol

Autumn, don't get me started, my fav. time of the year back there. It's as if someone got out a paint brush and went to town. And the crisp air, smell of fireplaces starting up. Oh, now I am going to have to search some internet pic's. ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area