Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:31 AM

28 posts, read 87,133 times

Advertisements

I don't plan that far ahead. I plan on being here another 5 years or so, but I'd be happy in most Western cities that are at least somewhat large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 08:17 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
I didn't say I hated Boston....I said I hate snow. I think Boston is a fantastic city and I lived there long enough to explore and enjoy it and the surrounding area.

I didn't say I was being criticized specifically....I said:

"What ruins it is when a poster is criticized for their opinion and it is not just happening in this thread or even just Phoenix CD."

I was speaking in generalities.....I don't have a persecution complex...

I also have a very dry sense of humor and suspect you do as well. But what I was responding to was this post by CheyDee:

"Don't listen to their negativity, Twiggy. Like I said, spring can be beautiful in New England. Of course it rains in spring, (April showers bring May flowers ); obviously there aren't entire states full of mud and flooding. (That is so silly I didn't even bother to reply to it.) It's really neat to see crocus popping their pretty little heads out of the snow and there is something about the smell of spring that is exhilirating. Between that and watching everything green up at winter's end, it can make one feel very alive.

Again, despite the negative postings, there is indeed good skiing in New England. There are some fine beaches and plenty of water activities for summer, although the season is all too short. Lobster is plentiful and inexpensive, too. You then have autumn and the changing/falling leaves. I don't think I've seen the latter more spectacular anywhere else."

So now that we have all that cleared up.....

Enjoy New England......and BTW I think Cape Cod is one of the best spring and summer and fall places on Earth.
Aw man, ok, well I am sorry for the Boston comment then. I think Cheydee was just trying to make me feel better and being nice to me. I don't think it was meant as a cut down to you really. But, I'm not Cheydee so I will let her answer you if she feels the need.
Kudo's for the dry sense of humor, it's always nice to have more senses of humor on here.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Been here about 14 months so it is really not right to judge the city/state or comment on why I'd want to move but I have this desire to try Portland, Oregon. It is not as cold and as overcast as WA and not as expensive as So Cal where I'd like to live ultimately. I lived in Orange County for over 15 years so I have gotten too used to the area, built a nice circle of friends, etc. Perhaps one of the reasons that I am not yet completely found of Phoenix is because I am too new here, have no real friends and miss the ones I have back in OC too much. I'd have probably stayed if it wasn't for my sister but I knew that I would never be able to afford a house with my income alone and since I wanted to buy a house (my own place), I knew I had to move. Phoenix became a solid candidate due to my sister who also moved 4 months after I did.
I am at a stage where I got a decent job going, a new relationship and the house market being relatively attractive, I might just buy a house and settle down for a few years at least. At least this would help my sister and later on if I still am not happy or get a better job offer elsewhere, then who knows...but for now, overall, Phoenix is not a bad place to live in!
I didn't know you have only been here 14 mons. Wow,,your a little newbie. lol
My brother lives in Portland and loves it! It's so beautiful up. Ever need any info about it one day let me know. People are really friendly and my brother is one who would take you on a tour if you ever went up there.
He does come down for little vaca's from the rain to Phoenix. He always says one day he will move down here to retire. But for now is happy in Portland.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiusaz View Post
I don't plan that far ahead. I plan on being here another 5 years or so, but I'd be happy in most Western cities that are at least somewhat large.
Yeah, this is me too. Who knows, but would like a change. Who knows where I will finally end up.
It's really cool to hear everyones plans though, I'm impressed with how many would call Phoenix home for the rest of their time, I always imagined it a "move in, move out" city. Sort of a "just passing by" city. Glad to see some people plan on staying.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:01 AM

307 posts, read 954,114 times
Smile Phoenix area retirement...

It is not surprising that some people say they will live out the rest of their days in the Phoenix area...

After all, Phoenix has retirement areas, right?

Old 07-26-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDish2000 View Post
It is not surprising that some people say they will live out the rest of their days in the Phoenix area...

After all, Phoenix has retirement areas, right?

Oh,yeah, a lot! But most people just come out when they hit 70 or so. I don't know many people who plan on starting a family then staying into retirement. I am glad to see some on here.
The houses in Phoenix don't seem like they last a life time to me. It seems they lose value quicker and people move on to newer ones. That is the surprising thing to me. Take New England for example, they have 100 year old homes and they are still considered a option for a young couple to come in to, but here I always think they just get run down and the neighborhood goes bad and people move out to new builds or newer, further out.

I could never imagine leaving the house I am in to my children for example the area is already starting to decline and everyone I new here have been moving to out lying areas now. I wouldn't want to leave them a house that was falling down with repair and in a bad area. Our houses are simply not built to last in my opinion. So, I was glad to here that some places here are.
Like Scottsdale.
It's like buying a shirt at a discount rack and thinking you'll have it for a long time. It's cheaply made to begin with, not like a good wool coat or something you can keep. This is how I think of most housing here. No matter what you do it's just build cheap and not meant for long term living.

I'm in your typical, suburban track home, never picture it for years of family, just about 20 or 30, but not generations.
My greatgrandmothers house on Cape Cod was left to my dads mom, who in turn would leave it to my dad, who would leave it to my sister. I don't see that possible here. Maybe I am wrong, but my old house closer to downtown, I would not want to still be in. It looks like a waist land and is full of section 8 now. But my g-mas house could be given to another generation and still have value.

Does this make any sense? Or is this just me? I thought everyone sort of felt this way about homes here, but I could very well, and am a lot, be wrong about this. Please, give me some insight.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:44 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
I didn't say I hated Boston....I said I hate snow. I think Boston is a fantastic city and I lived there long enough to explore and enjoy it and the surrounding area.

I didn't say I was being criticized specifically....I said:

"What ruins it is when a poster is criticized for their opinion and it is not just happening in this thread or even just Phoenix CD."

I was speaking in generalities.....I don't have a persecution complex...

I also have a very dry sense of humor and suspect you do as well. But what I was responding to was this post by CheyDee:

"Don't listen to their negativity, Twiggy. Like I said, spring can be beautiful in New England. Of course it rains in spring, (April showers bring May flowers ); obviously there aren't entire states full of mud and flooding. (That is so silly I didn't even bother to reply to it.) It's really neat to see crocus popping their pretty little heads out of the snow and there is something about the smell of spring that is exhilirating. Between that and watching everything green up at winter's end, it can make one feel very alive.

Again, despite the negative postings, there is indeed good skiing in New England. There are some fine beaches and plenty of water activities for summer, although the season is all too short. Lobster is plentiful and inexpensive, too. You then have autumn and the changing/falling leaves. I don't think I've seen the latter more spectacular anywhere else."

So now that we have all that cleared up.....

Enjoy New England......and BTW I think Cape Cod is one of the best spring and summer and fall places on Earth.
There was nothing in your original post specifically about spring in New England, which is what my post addressed. You also did not say that it rained every weekend in spring, while somehow managing to clear during the week, nor did you allude to all of NE being covered in mud. You stated your opinion about winter there, but did not state that the "skiing sucks".

What you did say was, "I don't have a persecution complex..." You are certainly entitled to your opinion; just remember, not all of us necessarily share it.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:19 PM

147 posts, read 376,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Very cool, I always wonder if people feel they can leave their houses to their kids here. Maybe in Scottsdale it's different but I feel in Chandler by that time our area would be too old and torn apart. It seems in the west they don't have a lot of old houses that are still in good areas, except maybe for Scottsdale. lol
I feel like it just keeps moving out ward, when the area starts to go down, we move out from it and it gets run down.
Does anyone else feel this way? Or is it just me? Sorry, a little off topic but I always think about this.

P.S. Moscow might be pretty cool by then. h aha
Thanks for your thoughts!

As far as the quality of housing goes, I really can't comment to broadly. Our house is over 35+ year old, and has been through three different families including ours, so maybe you could us that to gauge. It seems to be holding up well, and with our two guys, if it stands up to them, it will endure anything, lol. A similar story can be seen with our neighbors, although one did just have some bad plumbing problems. In the end though, I don't think Phoenix has been built any cheaper than any other fast growing area of the country. I still prefer our stucco look to that of plastic siding, which looks like it wouldn't last a decade, forget about a generation. People may be moving out into the edges for the time being, but Phoenix can only spread out so far (hopefully), and once that time takes place we will see even more gentrification than is already taking place. I know that in S. Cali, the big selling point for Phoenix is the fact that you can move there and have a brand new house, for less money. In the end though, I don't know about anyone else, but I plan on making our home last as long as it can. Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist, but I think that keeping a home in the family, and letting each new generation add a new piece is exciting, and something that I believe our neighborhood will allow to happen.

P.S. No doubt that it might be cool, but I know for certain that I will still be cold!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:54 AM

106 posts, read 682,400 times
Default MA bound

Having moved many many many times and having lived in seven different states, I can honestly say that I will not be staying in AZ. While I don't live in the PHX area (I live in Mohave County) I feel drawn to head back east. I used to live in Ohio and all I did was complain about the snow and the cold. I was so focused on these that I forgot to stop and take in the clean fresh feeling of rebirth in the spring or the ideallic summer days by the shore, or the crisp air and vibrant colors of fall. Even the winters have their own beauty but I never took the time to look. I moved out here with my then fiancee and was entranced by the heat. I heard about the monsoon season and was looking forward to some beautiful thunderstorm displays. I soon found out that in this area "monsoon season" refers to a period of time when it is humid, not necessarily rainy like I believed. While my ex absolutely loves this area, I find that I am longing for the north again. I plan on moving to Salem MA by the early fall of 2010. I know that if I took the time then I probably would find things here that I would enjoy, but my heart is not in it anymore.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:09 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorose View Post
Having moved many many many times and having lived in seven different states, I can honestly say that I will not be staying in AZ. While I don't live in the PHX area (I live in Mohave County) I feel drawn to head back east. I used to live in Ohio and all I did was complain about the snow and the cold. I was so focused on these that I forgot to stop and take in the clean fresh feeling of rebirth in the spring or the ideallic summer days by the shore, or the crisp air and vibrant colors of fall. Even the winters have their own beauty but I never took the time to look. I moved out here with my then fiancee and was entranced by the heat. I heard about the monsoon season and was looking forward to some beautiful thunderstorm displays. I soon found out that in this area "monsoon season" refers to a period of time when it is humid, not necessarily rainy like I believed. While my ex absolutely loves this area, I find that I am longing for the north again. I plan on moving to Salem MA by the early fall of 2010. I know that if I took the time then I probably would find things here that I would enjoy, but my heart is not in it anymore.
You may be wise in taking a trip back there for a week in the wintertime-------this coming from a Wash DC native.

If you still feel comfortable in Mass, etc. you have your answer as to where to live

I myself have been pondering the Charleston, W Va area (spent part of the summers there as a kid 40 years ago); housing is dirt cheap, etc. but the winters do spook me. Admittedly; with this 'global warming' they are getting better but still....................

My other options are either back to Kingman or Globe. The Yucca Valley area in SoCal is another possibility. Suffice to say; I dropped my final decision into 'God's' hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area