Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,369,194 times

Advertisements

Having just moved here from the DC area and also having grown up in NJ, I have to say the restaurants here are lacking. Sure, the Mexican is pretty good, but not all of them are. My favorite real Chinese place in VA (the kind where you don't see anyone but Chinese people eating there) lost their chef when he struck out on his own. But he picked a really bad location for his new place that was a difficult drive even for the motivated folks. My wife and I still made the trek out there once or twice a month. And the food was about as good as any I've had on my travels in Sichuan Province. But the place was always empty and I felt sorry for them.

I don't know how sushi-savvy Phonecians are. But I sure love good sushi. Where do those places get their fish here? In VA my wife and I always bought live fish and had them kill and clean it while we watched, several times a week. I know of three Asian stores around here that do that and they're usually out of stock. I sure miss seeing my meal alive before I bring it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 02:53 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,442,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Having just moved here from the DC area and also having grown up in NJ, I have to say the restaurants here are lacking. Sure, the Mexican is pretty good, but not all of them are. My favorite real Chinese place in VA (the kind where you don't see anyone but Chinese people eating there) lost their chef when he struck out on his own. But he picked a really bad location for his new place that was a difficult drive even for the motivated folks. My wife and I still made the trek out there once or twice a month. And the food was about as good as any I've had on my travels in Sichuan Province. But the place was always empty and I felt sorry for them.

I don't know how sushi-savvy Phonecians are. But I sure love good sushi. Where do those places get their fish here? In VA my wife and I always bought live fish and had them kill and clean it while we watched, several times a week. I know of three Asian stores around here that do that and they're usually out of stock. I sure miss seeing my meal alive before I bring it home.
LOL...my buddy's place used to actually do "live sashimi"...it was also on food tv as well, extreme cuisine! it was great when we did it and no one in chicago had done it before(even in United States that we're aware of) but we had to stop due to numerous complaints from PETA, and customers! You'd be surprised how many people are grossed out by dead fish carcass which was used as a part of beautiful presentation! something like this!

http://www.siamrivermiami.com/Kevin%20Cory%20-%20Live%20Sashimi%20crop.jpg (broken link)

[SIZE=2]About Us[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Price Range[/SIZE][SIZE=2]"Heat" means energy, youth, and power in this new upscale restaurant that opened in Old Town Chicago. Heat uses only the freshest ingredients, including 3 aquariums where guests can select their own fish for dinner. A special Omakase (chef's choice), an elaborate seasonal seafood course is also available. Simple sophisticated interiors provide a subtle backdrop for dining. Sashimi is killed-to-serve: Choose from fresh and saltwater fish tanks on the base of the sushi bar. Pass over the chewy flounder and order the mild, light suzuki (bait sea bass). Executive chef and owner Kee Chan presents the flailing, freshly killed fish in plastic containers for approval; ours was still twitching when prepared and served raw and whole. Elaborate garnishes involve meticulously carved fruits and edible flowers. Perfectly tender, melt-in-your-mouth live shrimp make for a wonderful appetizer. At lunch, try the bento box, featuring delightful bites of dishes like tempura-fried squid maki, teriyaki tuna steak, and "salad" in the form of cucumber maki.[/SIZE]

Old 07-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Nothing wrong with some fish parts. Here's lunch for two friends and me in Chongqing. That's goose esophagus in the foreground. Kinda feels like chewing on a credit card. This whole feast was under $7 with beer.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:08 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,195,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Nothing wrong with some fish parts. Here's lunch for two friends and me in Chongqing. That's goose esophagus in the foreground. Kinda feels like chewing on a credit card. This whole feast was under $7 with beer.

Wow, this vegetarian doesn't want to know what else is in these pics.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:19 PM

This was our dinner in Chengdu about 45 min. before we ate it. The waitress wanted to make sure we knew what we were ordering. It was amazing.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,195,171 times
Ok, now you're just messing with me!

poor little fishies.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:25 PM

This one's all veggie. Pretty sure this village was lost in the earthquake in May though. Glad I saw it when I did.

Here's a Tbetan lady who cooked for us. We just knocked on her door and offered to pay if she'd make us lunch. Hey, what's $3.80 when you're on vacation?

Old 07-28-2008, 05:09 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,368,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
Zony, If it happens, I'll personally force live sea urchin down your throat and It'll melt in your mouth!

Just promise to throw up after you leave the restaurant premises, k?

Yummy...

Thanx, Mister Sushi. Hey, What are you gonna name your new sushi bar, anyway? Do you want us to help you name it? Hmmm...

How about Mister Sushi - "Where the fish is good 'n mooshy!"

Old 07-28-2008, 07:05 PM

799 posts, read 2,172,760 times
How can the residential market be bad, when people are buying nice homes, buying big cars, living it up? I don't see many people hurting in PHX unless you go down into the inner city.

People have money, make no mistake about it...they spend it on spas, decorating, designer bags.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
How can the residential market be bad, when people are buying nice homes, buying big cars, living it up? I don't see many people hurting in PHX unless you go down into the inner city.

People have money, make no mistake about it...they spend it on spas, decorating, designer bags.
And how many of those people do you think own their toys free and clear and carry no balance on their credit cards or HELOC's? I hear ads on the radio every day for car loans that take your trade no matter what you owe and tack on the neg. equity to the new loan. The fact that this kind of loan even exists means lots of folks are living WAY beyond their means. I think the majority of people you see every day are a paycheck or two away from financial ruin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: